Front Office Shakeup

silvermike

I wouldn't put much credence in this normally, but since it's from Jason LaCanfora, I'm inclined to give it more credibility. He works for the league and isn't putting random crap out there to drive up ratings, like anyone working for a network. Anyway, the line is this:

"There are some rumblings that a front office shakeup of some sort in Buffalo is not out of the question"

It's buried in his round up of the week's games: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82541a13/article/teams-left-for-dead-a-month-ago-still-fighting-for-playoff-lives?campaign=Twitter_features

"rumblings" that a "shakeup" is "not out of the question" is a very, very long way away from "Buddy Nix is likely to be fired," so I mean, don't go nuts. But it's the only thing I've heard yet that the Bills are considering changes this winter.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"shakeup" implies someone under Nix, like asst GM Whaley or Director of College Scouting etc......if it was Nix, then "overhaul" might be used.

Buddy Nix

General Manager

Doug Whaley

Assistant General Manager/Director of Player Personnel

Chuck Cook

Director of College Scouting

Tom Gibbons

Director of Pro Personnel

Paul Lancaster

Director of Player Programs

Doug Majeski

Coordinator of College Scouting

Darrell Moody

National Scout

Brian Fisher

College Scout

Brad Forsyth

College Scout

Matt Hand

College Scout

Shawn Heinlen

College Scout

Tom Roth

College Scout

Theo Young

College Scout

Dave G. Smith

Scout Emeritus

Dave W. Smith

Scout Emeritus

Rob Hanrahan

Pro Personnel Coordinator

Kevin Meganck

Player Personnel Analyst

Pete Harris

Scouting Assistant

Jacky Kosmowski

Scouting Assistant

C.J. Leak

BLESTO Scout

"shakeup" implies someone under Nix, like asst GM Whaley or Director of College Scouting etc......if it was Nix, then "overhaul" might be used.

Buddy Nix

General Manager

Doug Whaley

Assistant General Manager/Director of Player Personnel

Kevin Meganck

Player Personnel Analyst

Mr Meganck...pack your stuff...wer are tired of losing! :devil:

well, doug whaley just purchased a home on middlesex rd, a pricey neighborhood. maybe he got the word , nix stepping aside.

Short of the Bills hiring a GM with a good track record (how many of those are there, that don't already have a job?) this is the move that would make me most happy... or Ralph announcing a change in ownership, of course!

But, I will be kind of surprised if Nix is fired...maybe he retires? Only reason I say this, I don't get the impression that Mr Wilson hob-knobs a lot with other NFL folks at this point. So, if there are "rumblings" coming out, it would likely be from Nix, himself.

Edited by Buftex

I wouldn't put much credence in this normally, but since it's from Jason LaCanfora, I'm inclined to give it more credibility. He works for the league and isn't putting random crap out there to drive up ratings, like anyone working for a network. Anyway, the line is this:

"There are some rumblings that a front office shakeup of some sort in Buffalo is not out of the question"

It's buried in his round up of the week's games: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82541a13/article/teams-left-for-dead-a-month-ago-still-fighting-for-playoff-lives?campaign=Twitter_features

"rumblings" that a "shakeup" is "not out of the question" is a very, very long way away from "Buddy Nix is likely to be fired," so I mean, don't go nuts. But it's the only thing I've heard yet that the Bills are considering changes this winter.

Sounds good to me. Nix is average at best. If he goes, I have a feeling Gailey will be right with him. Also don't look for Fitz to return either.

Put me in the camp that thinks this means Nix will be "retiring" - possibly staying on in some kind of consulting capacity, with Whaley getting promoted to GM. Good for Whaley but honestly, unless the bean counters stop getting final say over the roster, it doesn't matter much.

This.

I don't think anyone figured Nix would be around long. He'd have time to right the ship (which obviously never happened) and give way to a younger man. Whaley's promotion earlier this year and the fact he was already on-board seemed like a precursor to Nix being only temporary. At least Buddy told some great whoppers to keep us entertained. :lol: He certainly didn't get much in the way of wins.

Short of the Bills hiring a GM with a good track record (how many of those are there, that don't already have a job?) this is the move that would make me most happy... or Ralph announcing a change in ownership, of course!

But, I will be kind of surprised if Nix is fired...maybe he retires? Only reason I say this, I don't get the impression that Mr Wilson hob-knobs a lot with other NFL folks at this point. So, if there are "rumblings" coming out, it would likely be from Nix, himself.

Losing 7 straight games after having a 5-2 record has serious ramifications. This is the second year of the Nix/Gailey regime and at this point you need to be trending upward, not a complete free fall like they've had.

I've been expecting major changes because like it or not, the bottom line in the NFL is making money and you can't make money if no one is buying tickets, merchandise, or concessions. This isn't the 70's where teams and fans are patient enough to wait on a 3 or 4 year plan. Today's fans want it yesterday. This soon to be 9 straight losses is going to slaughter the Bills' ability to make a decent profit next year. It's not right or wrong, but that is the way this business works.

I think that Nix is going to fall on his sword because he knows that this collapse will kill Ralph's bottom line. He seems like he'd be the kind of a guy to offer Ralph the option of him leaving.

As I look at our FA list for this year, we're less than a handful of internal signings away from being able to bring some talent through FA and the draft and have some honest to God depth on this team.

2012 will be the year of the upswing.

2013 will be the year when we finally see some traction. And if we continue on the same trajectory as we've been on the last two years, 2014 and beyond could be the most stable years we've seen in a LONG LONG time.

To blow the whole thing up would be a monumental mistake.

Losing 7 straight games after having a 5-2 record has serious ramifications. This is the second year of the Nix/Gailey regime and at this point you need to be trending upward, not a complete free fall like they've had.

I've been expecting major changes because like it or not, the bottom line in the NFL is making money and you can't make money if no one is buying tickets, merchandise, or concessions. This isn't the 70's where teams and fans are patient enough to wait on a 3 or 4 year plan. Today's fans want it yesterday. This soon to be 9 straight losses is going to slaughter the Bills' ability to make a decent profit next year. It's not right or wrong, but that is the way this business works.

I think that Nix is going to fall on his sword because he knows that this collapse will kill Ralph's bottom line. He seems like he'd be the kind of a guy to offer Ralph the option of him leaving.

I would agree, normally...but I also have to consider, this is the Bills we are talking about. I don't think Ralph particularly enjoys the hiring and firing process, at this point. I figured, no matter how bad the results, he would give Nix and Gailey three years to work their "magic".

Buddy Nix is 72 years old, he may just be ready to hang it up. I remember when he first came back to Buffalo, as a scout...he did an interview on WGR, and at that time, he almost sounded like someone who was looking forward to retiring.

I would really love it if Whaley got a shot. He was highly touted the year before he came to Buffalo as a promising prospect for a bunch of GM positions. If he were to step up as GM - a young, vigorous man in a man's business - he'd be out to show everyone he can put a team together. There's no way he would sit back and take a slow approach to this. I mean, he'd have nothing to lose by trying to put together a winner quickly - after all, how long will Buffalo Bills be here? - and possibly a lot to lose if he was slow with it.

Edited by sllib olaffub

I would really love it if Whaley got a shot. He was highly touted the year before he came to Buffalo as a promising prospect for a bunch of GM positions. If he were to step up as GM - a young, vigorous man in a man's business - he'd be out to show everyone he can put a team together. There's no way he would sit back and take a slow approach to this. I mean, he'd have nothing to lose by trying to put together a winner quickly - after all, how long will Buffalo Bills be here? - and possibly a lot to lose if he was slow with it.

Since the Bills wouldn't be in contention to get a proven GM candidate (and I can't even think of one who is available at this point), Whaley is my next best choice. I like the fact that his backround, coming up, was with the Steelers, an organization that is remarkably stable, consistent and focused. I am keeping my fingers crossed, if he ever is the guy, something from his Steelers years will have rubbed off on him.

Put me in the camp that thinks this means Nix will be "retiring" - possibly staying on in some kind of consulting capacity, with Whaley getting promoted to GM. Good for Whaley but honestly, unless the bean counters stop getting final say over the roster, it doesn't matter much.

+2.

IIRC, Buddy was bent on retiring when he was shown the door in SD, and Ralph talked him into re-upping in B-Lo. As some here said when he announced the Evans trade, it didn't seem like he was very happy with it and the decision came more from the Ralph/Littman/Overdorf squeeze-the-nickel side. We may or may not hear Buddy say "I'm gettin' too old for this stevestojan!" before he opens a chain of Hulka-Burger franchises.

The Whaley hire smacked of Ralph's long-time policy of getting someone into the organization, getting comfortable with them, seeing how they work and then promoting them.

Similar circumstances got Terry Francona fired in Boston after he won them 2 championships after an 86-year drought.

Ralph is going to have to spend serious coin now if he hopes to get fans back. We're not going to be satisfied with one TO type $6M deal, either. There has to be a major commitment.

And tightwads get pissed as all hell when they have to burn cash because their tightwad ways backfired.