Merriman, Parrish, players "wanting to stay" with their team/c

Booger

Just making sure that people realize when players such as Merriman and Parrish come out and say "I want to stay in Buffalo", "I wanted to come back to Buffalo", etc. they do/say this in order to tug at emotional strings and land a contract or contract extension.

Please realize that it is time to cut lose this type of player. I am not stating they are not talented, but their talent is limited to when they can actually play healthy. At this point PARRISH coming back next year should not even be a question to a functional front office. NO is the answer. Merriman coming back next year is a NO. Easley should be a NO, but may be invited to camp because of what they are paying him.

Move past these players....This happens to every team, every year...it just seems as if the Bills give the most 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th chances in the NFL

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Merriman hurt was actually much better than any other player on the roster at generating a pash rush. If you analyze things once he left was when the Bills lost any ability to generate any pass rush.....notice I am not saying sacks but pash rush. He was at least providing a push in the pocket and was genrating some type of pressure on the opposing QBs. It is no coincidence that once he went to IR everyone started complaining about the Bills not even getting a sniff of the QB.

Keep Merriman (he his still under contract btw) and let Parrish walk.

My question to you is WHY? Why keep Merriman? So that he can take up camp space and hinder development of a player with potential?

If Merriman's name was "Joe Smith" people would be screaming to cut him. I hate to say this, HE WILL GET HURT AGAIN. This is the NFL. This is the most violent sport in the world. He has been hurt the past 3 years and unfortunately his injuries are VERY serious. His body will never be the same as it once was which leaves him vulnerable for future injuries. There is a reason why he resigned with Buffalo...Buffalo was the only team offering him that type of contract. I was fine with it to give it a shot. Thought there was great upside...but when a player lasts for 6 weeks (most being preseason) before going on the IR AGAIN there is a trend.

What is funny is that Buffalo fans want Buffalo to get better...yet we are never willing to give up on players. I am not saying that they dont have talent, but when you cannot depend on those players what good are they?

Just making sure that people realize when players such as Merriman and Parrish come out and say "I want to stay in Buffalo", "I wanted to come back to Buffalo", etc. they do/say this in order to tug at emotional strings and land a contract or contract extension.

Please realize that it is time to cut lose this type of player. I am not stating they are not talented, but their talent is limited to when they can actually play healthy. At this point PARRISH coming back next year should not even be a question to a functional front office. NO is the answer. Merriman coming back next year is a NO. Easley should be a NO, but may be invited to camp because of what they are paying him.

Move past these players....This happens to every team, every year...it just seems as if the Bills give the most 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th chances in the NFL

EXACTLY.. I was hoping we'd cut ties with Parrish BEFORE the season starts, and it looks like Merriman, despite his best go, cannot stay healthy either. We can't fall for this same tired act- show them the door and wish them good luck...

Keep Merriman (he his still under contract btw) and let Parrish walk.

^^This!

My question to you is WHY? Why keep Merriman? So that he can take up camp space and hinder development of a player with potential?

If Merriman's name was "Joe Smith" people would be screaming to cut him. I hate to say this, HE WILL GET HURT AGAIN.

If "Joe Smith" played with the same intensity as Merriman, then I'd say keep Joe Smith.

It doesnt take a very trained eye to see the drop off in our team's intensity that coincided with Merriman going out. He is an "NFL Superstar" and brings that level of play and (for lack of any better term) swagger to the team.

I dont doubt Merriman will get hurt again, but he isnt costing the team much, and we are way under cap anyways. He is VERY valuable to this team in what he can teach the kids AND in recruiting other Free Agents (see: Barnett and Morrison).

For the little he is costing, and for what he can contribute, keep Merriman.

Parrish however, needs to be let go.

If Merriman's name was "Joe Smith" people would be screaming to cut him. I hate to say this, HE WILL GET HURT AGAIN. This is the NFL. This is the most violent sport in the world. He has been hurt the past 3 years and unfortunately his injuries are VERY serious. His body will never be the same as it once was which leaves him vulnerable for future injuries. There is a reason why he resigned with Buffalo...Buffalo was the only team offering him that type of contract. I was fine with it to give it a shot. Thought there was great upside...but when a player lasts for 6 weeks (most being preseason) before going on the IR AGAIN there is a trend.

What is funny is that Buffalo fans want Buffalo to get better...yet we are never willing to give up on players. I am not saying that they dont have talent, but when you cannot depend on those players what good are they?

As already pointed out Merriman is already under contract and the Bills do not have a cap space issue. My question to you is what player's development would he be hindering? Surely no one on the current roster. And don't you think there would be some value having a high first round pick learn a few things from Merriman?

BTW I agree with you on Parrish. He is a veteran minimum player at this point.

As already pointed out Merriman is already under contract and the Bills do not have a cap space issue. My question to you is what player's development would he be hindering? Surely no one on the current roster. And don't you think there would be some value having a high first round pick learn a few things from Merriman?

I am not disagreeing with the talent that Merriman has/had....the point here is that HE IS GOING TO GET HURT AGAIN. There is no need to waste space, time, energy, money, etc.

If the Bills cut Merriman he, if lucky, would get signed for the veteran minimum and then CUT at first sniff of his next injury.

WOW....

Merriman and Easley are under contract. Why cut them?

Parrish will sign somewhere for the vet minimum. Why not here?

You can bring in 80 players to camp. Do you really want more UDFA projects wasting training camp time trying to find the field? If Merriman plays in 1 more regular season game, he will have a larger impact in the NFL than all 3 of the camp fodder players that would take his place in camp.

I am not saying these 3 players should be on the opening day roster, but it will not hurt to have them in camp.

Edited by cody

Merriman hindering a youngsters development is akin to this season's "lets get rid of lee evans so we don't risk losing Naaman Roosevelt."

IIRC, much of Merriman's contract is guaranteed. We should bring him back and see if he can play, and if he can't, then let him walk.

Are you serious in that playing Merriman would hinder the development of our outstanding rush LBs like Danny Batten and Arthur Moats? They have created such a tremendous pass rush that it is obviously the biggest problem on this team. We have nobody behind Merriman and he is already under contract at a reasonable value so it would be dumb to cut him if he is healthy.

Holy crap, I've gone cross-eyed.

Here are the absolute truths about NFL football and the Buffalo Bills, as established by TSW:

Buffalo can't attract players. And woe is me, every player that comes here wants to leave right away

• When a player wants to stay in Buffalo, he's GOT TO GO.

The Bills are wrong for constantly cutting their best players.

I'm sick and tired of seeing Bills players succeed elsewhere.

• Fred Jackson is too old to play football, cut him.
  • Barnett has a positive attitude despite a losing culture, therefore he perpetuates the losing culture, cut him.
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick is too much of a head case, cut him.
  • CJ Spiller finally got going, but it took entirely too long, cut him.

We're starting a bunch no-name walk-on scrubs at wide receiver, and this has nothing to do with Fitz's struggles.

•  
  • Roscoe Parish is already 29 years old and has missed considerable time in the last three seasons. He never missed substantial time prior to that, cut him.
  • Stevie Johnson's a diva, cut him.

Thanks to our idiot FO, we have no depth.

• I hate Chris Kelsay, cut him.
  • Ubrik had a false start today, cut him.
  • Pears has strange neck fat, cut him.
  • Bell isn't one of the top 3 LT's in the league, cut him.

I could go on, but this carousel of logic is depressing me...

Edited by The Big Cat

Cutting merriman is idiotic for these reasons.

1. His base salary is low and probably guaranteed - incentive built on performance. If he plays well he gets paid.
  2. We have no depth at LB
  3. When healthy can rush the passer - something the Bills LB's can't do and defense as a whole. BIG PROBLEM.
  4. We don't have young stud LB's - who's performance would be hindering?
  5. He has and always be a low risk, high reward given his contract.
  6. Cap space isn't a issue
  7. We can't cut guys at this position because we are afraid they will get hurt. Ridiculous way of operating a team especially in an area were we are the weakest.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Merriman and Easley are under contract. Why cut them?

Parrish will sign somewhere for the vet minimum. Why not here?

You can bring in 80 players to camp. Do you really want more UDFA projects wasting training camp time trying to find the field? If Merriman plays in 1 more regular season game, he will have a larger impact in the NFL than all 3 of the camp fodder players that would take his place in camp.

I am not saying these 3 players should be on the opening day roster, but it will not hurt to have them in camp.

Agreed. I wouldn't molly coddle Merriman in training camp and pre-season though. Play him and test him. The decision could be made for the Bills.

The Bills need to retain and assemble talent as cogs in a performing machine.

Considering the game continually shifts more to rotational play, there is no B-team anymore. It's now A-1 and A-2 teams, and continuity does matter in team sports.

I don't see Merriman and Parrish as stars but I do see them as useful parts in the Bills machine. Our successful teams in the 90s had lots of good cogs to go along with the two or three great ones.

Merriman and Easley are under contract. There's no reason not to retain them through camp. None. They aren't really taking up much room because rosters are larger around camp time.

Parrish isn't under contract. Based on the money he would need to stay around, there's no reason not to sign him and see what he does through camp. None. They can always cut him.

Except players like Whitner, Evans, Hangartner, etc. Not sure your theory holds water.

Because letting him walk is ignorant. Even if he does get hurt, which he will, who is behind him on the roster that he will hinder in their development?