Stevie Johnson's Facebook entry

JÂy RÛßeÒ

and what if he won't accept that deal? Rumor had him asking for top 5 money and that would be a big mistake, IMHO.

Surely there ought to be a way to provide incentives and bonuses in the contract that would bring it to top 5 money IF Stevie delivers.

This is an interesting list linky . According to this list, Driver gets $4M, Plax, Ward, and Colston $3M, Wes Welker $2M.

Either they get big incentives and bonuses, or there are a lot of top-quality, underpaid WR who are way more productive than Stevie.

I think there are other teams that will pay him well - but like Whitner, he could well wind up "settling" for less than the Bills offer at the end of the day.

Perhaps my eyesight is amiss, I see him as a mid-range receiver in the league 11-15 not top 5.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, John Wawrow reported the Bills would not be franchising Johnson.

This remains the most misleading metric to grade an OL. It is indicative of nothing more than Fitzpatrick getting rid of the ball on designed plays where the ball is out in less than 2 seconds. Even Erik Pears can't mess that up.

Cue the OBD spin machine of Brandon and Berchtold, who no doubt are in high gear to explain why they couldn't come to terms. Negotiation is a two-way street and by the tone of this thread it doesn't appear that fans are buying the BS launched out of OBD. Sure it's anecdotal, but I don't talk to many fans at the games who want to see Johnson go.

Commitment to no commitment but setting the team up for sale. Re-signing SJ adversely affects the P&L statement, so that's a no go for the franchise. The more things change...

I agree about the no sacks being misleading. I used to argue the same thing when folks tried to blame Trentative's failures on the OLine.

HOWEVER. Allowing the least amount of sacks in the league AND having what was, through more than half the season, a top 3 rusher...the combination of those two things says SOMETHING.

I love how everyone says if we can get him cheap we should resign him, but we curse the bean routers at OBD

Makes sense

We should re-sign him for as reasonable a price as can be gotten, though this FO for some reason doesn't do with some players what it does with others - extend them before they get too expensive. That price has been going up all season, and it was bound to. The goalposts get moved once you get into the season, and if they didn't like the price in August, they sure aren't going to like it now.

Did we not see this with the Sabres in the past?

That said, the bean counters do have a role - an advisory one. If we can get a guy like Barnett for less than half of what it costs to get Poz, that's a good football move that coincides with a good business move, which makes it doubly good - better product = better returns. I'd hope to see the people responsible for the financials making that kind of advice.

We talk a lot here about how bad Russ Brandon was; and he was. He was a marketing guy. I wouldn't mind seeing the Bills taking a real market mentality to football evaluation, though, looking for undervalued players and skill sets. In baseball we see that executed well in Tampa Bay and we have seen it done well in Oakland in the past. It's my hope that Whaley is perhaps that kind of guy.

I am sure we will soon about fitz injuries as well. Since the redskins game hes been awful. Now I am wondering if some of the overthrows are stevies burst issues but still seems Fitz is way off lately. Would like SJ and since we have cap $ no rason to not slightly overpay.

If Stevie isn't running as fast and far as Fitz expects him to, shouldn't that be something they adjust together in practice during the week?

On a well coached team that is.

And he posts significant unreported injuries on his Facebook to prove a handful of ranting fans wrong despite the potential repercussions with the league, his coaches being undermined in their reports and future opponents targeting him.

umm, the AP reported his assortment of injuries (groin, shoulder, hand) in my piece on him last week.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

LMAO whatever. I have never heard a real Pro stud come out and say that stupid ****. It just further shows the pure immaturity of this kid. So he is a #2 Talent that wants #1 Money and now goes out and makes all these excuses as to why he doesn't perform?

Pass on signing him. I say transition his butt and if someone wants him, let them have him.

You guys are pretty harsh.

Stevie is what he is - a nice young guy who works hard, plays hard, and needs to grow up some.

I don't think they're excuses in that a torn groin does not heal during the season, and I saw some spectacular leaping catches early in the year that I don't think Johnson can physically make right now.

On the other hand, he needs to learn that any reason offered after a loss, sounds like an excuse. He needs to learn to pay zero attention to what fans are saying about him

He outplayed Reves, so I think he deserves to be resigned. Besides Manning, who should the Bills give the money to? Or are you suggesting that Ralph keep the money?

Whitner was underpaid in SF. London Fletcher is underpaid. The Bills were under-compensated for Evans & Lynch. I guess it would be wonderful if the Bills could have the lowest payroll.

Actually, I really like the fact that the Bills have come from behind players who nobody expected to make it such as Fitz, Jackson, and Johnson. I hope they get paid, and I hope they stay will the Bills.

Stevie played with donald jones, roosevelt,Spiller and now brad smith (none previously mentioned scares a secondary)...... he has been facing double teams and schemes all year....(has been playing hurt) ..... still in the top 10 with receptions in the NFL....

Top 10 by what statistical measure?

No dis intended on Stevie, who has played well and even at times brilliantly, and who could play better:

nfl.com stats show him as #15 for number of receptions, #28 for yards per game, and #21 for overall yards per game.

There is a "Johnson" in the top 10 receiving statistics, but his first name is Calvin and he plays for Detroit.

Let's not exaggerate

So if all these injuries are true, how come the team never disclosed any details of these injuries?

The team disclosed groin injuries for Stevie (week 2 through I think 5) and shoulder injuries (week 11 and 12), during weeks when these injuries caused him to miss practice or have limited participation.

The team is not required to disclose injuries that don't cause a player to miss practice or impair his chances to play in a game, and most teams don't.

The team is not required to disclose details of any injury - a "shoulder" injury could be anything from a bruise to a separated shoulder or broken collarbone, a groin could be a strain, sprain, or torn muscle - and again, most teams don't.

The hand injury: some reporters noticed Stevie rubbing his hand or having trainers look at it and asked him about it in a post-game presser, however he didn't miss practice because of it thus the Bills are not required to (and didn't) report it.

At this point in the season, pretty much every player is banged up, getting knees drained and living the "cold tub life" during the week. There's a reason an 18 game season was a big sticking point for players.

I can't stand some fans around here. It seems that every player has his warts pointed out and harped on until he is run out of town.

What more can you ask of him. He shows up, plays hard, plays hurt, says great things about the town and team, and is exciting! Is he perfect? Of course not... But is his a great representative for this team and town as well as an above average wr? Most definitely!

People seem to alternate between he sucks get rid of him (then complain we have no talent) or don't pay him so much money he's not worth it (then complain Ralph is cheap and he won't re-sign any of our talent)

He deserves to be paid and if you don't think anyone will give him money I ask did you think poz would get that much money?

This just in, it's the last quarter of the NFL season and EVERY NFL PLAYER has at least two injuries. Playing hurt is part of the game.

The simple fact that there is a debate about whether he should be re-signed tells you all you need to know. He's a talented WR but he's not even close to top 10. BUT, since the Bills have a complete talent void they should probably re-sign him.