Fitzpatrick's Contract

A few weeks back I heard something about Fitz' contract ... that after the first year (this year) the Bills had the option to let him go and be off the hook for the remainder of his contract. Is this real? Does anyone know?

I hope it is true and I hope he is let go. I love the guy, and I recall when he filled in for Carson Palmer several years back ... did an aewsome job and I was happy we got him as backup. But the last several weeks say it all ...regression and losing. Clearly NOT the answer.

Even average teams don't lose 7 games in a row.

Bills must have the worst luck of any organization ... over committing to Dick Jauron during a winning streak and then the same with Fitzy. What a friggin bummer.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills must have the worst luck of any organization ... over committing to Dick Jauron during a winning streak and then the same with Fitzy. What a friggin bummer.

It was also funny that after Pears signs an extension, he had 2 penalties and gave up a sack within the first 5 minutes of the game....yikes.

Rumor has it that there are several "outs" in Fitz' contract. There is one out that says if they release him before Week 1, then they are off the hook for the remaining part of his contract. There is also an "out" after year 3, Most think it's unlikely that the Bills release Fitz this year, but it's definitely possible they draft his successor and get rid of him after year 3.

When all of our players where healthy we may have been average or possibly slightly above average. Now our roster has been depleted we are bad

Depleted or not....there is no excuse to lose games in a row. That is pathetic.

Is boo boo foot married or does he laugh himself to sleep?

Yeah F$tzmoney made out like a bandit. However you guys all keep saying he is regressing. If you look at his history he has returned to normal. The Bengals and Rams would have kept him if he was any good. He can't throw down the field accurately. His accuracy is -10 to 3 yards. That's is about it. The Bills wont dump him this offseason. He will start next season. Damn I hated the signing for so much. He should be making around 4-6 million, not 9. Damn Harvard smartys.

The Bills have never been an organization with the motto "win at any cost"

That said expect Fitz to start in 2012. If he pulls out his now standard 4 to 5 win year then.

Expect him to start in 2013. Why would it be any different now? I'd also expect Chan to still run the spread in 2013 maybe with a new water bug too.

If a few guys stay healthy we may even go 8-8 with Fitz next year. Yea, I'm a little down

on the Fitz deal. He will never live up to that middle of the pack contract.

A few weeks back I heard something about Fitz' contract ... that after the first year (this year) the Bills had the option to let him go and be off the hook for the remainder of his contract. Is this real? Does anyone know?

I hope it is true and I hope he is let go. I love the guy, and I recall when he filled in for Carson Palmer several years back ... did an aewsome job and I was happy we got him as backup. But the last several weeks say it all ...regression and losing. Clearly NOT the answer.

Even average teams don't lose 7 games in a row.

If the Bills wanted to, they could release Fitz before the seventh day of the next league year and only be on the hook for the $10m bonus he got upon signing the new deal plus his 3.22m salary for this year. Doubt that happens, but the Bills could do it if they wished.

They can also draft a franchise QB if they wish and groom him for 3 years as Fitz is only guaranteed 24m over those three seasons and, with the new rookie wage caps in place, they could comfortably carry both on their roster.

GO BILLS!!!

If the Bills wanted to, they could release Fitz before the seventh day of the next league year and only be on the hook for the $10m bonus he got upon signing the new deal plus his 3.22m salary for this year. Doubt that happens, but the Bills could do it if they wished.

They can also draft a franchise QB if they wish and groom him for 3 years as Fitz is only guaranteed 24m over those three seasons and, with the new rookie wage caps in place, they could comfortably carry both on their roster.

GO BILLS!!!

B-I-N-G-O

It's doubtful Buffalo pays the entire $61 million contract. It's more likely they dump dump dump him after the 3rd year

Rumor has it that there are several "outs" in Fitz' contract. There is one out that says if they release him before Week 1, then they are off the hook for the remaining part of his contract. There is also an "out" after year 3, Most think it's unlikely that the Bills release Fitz this year, but it's definitely possible they draft his successor and get rid of him after year 3.

Depleted or not....there is no excuse to lose games in a row. That is pathetic.

From what NFLN reported a couple weeks ago if they cut him before the 7th day of the new NFL calendar year, they only owe him like 3.5 million. I say cut his ass, pay him the 3.5 and move on

I am beginning to think that they should use this as leverage to re-negotiate the contract to something that makes a bit more sense. I like the guy and want him to succeed. I also understand that we are depleted. Yet, I also think we bought his stock at his absolute high. He is not getting that kind of money from anyone else.

From what NFLN reported a couple weeks ago if they cut him before the 7th day of the new NFL calendar year, they only owe him like 3.5 million. I say cut his ass, pay him the 3.5 and move on

It's a 10m roster bonus, paid as far as I know.... And nothing else.

I really like Fitz but goddamn. Its like he hit a ceiling and now he is sliding down the wall. It hurts me to even say this because he seems like a genuine guy. It appears he cares ALOT about this team. But, he has NO confidence. He doesnt trust himself and is second guessing his abilities. He pratically said it in the presser. I dont want a guy who isnt a leader. Fitz may be well liked in the locker room but he shows no strong leadership qualities. He is shot boys. I bet he doesnt want to be a starter anymore. He is out of his element

Hate to say I told you so.....but no long after the Bills' "brain trust" gave Fitz WAY more money than any sane NFL organization would have, I said in this forum that he was "average, at best."

I guess I just don't have the rose-colored glasses AND blinders on, like so many folks around here do. lol

I really like Fitz but goddamn. Its like he hit a ceiling and now he is sliding down the wall. It hurts me to even say this because he seems like a genuine guy. It appears he cares ALOT about this team. But, he has NO confidence. He doesnt trust himself and is second guessing his abilities. He pratically said it in the presser. I dont want a guy who isnt a leader. Fitz may be well liked in the locker room but he shows no strong leadership qualities. He is shot boys. I bet he doesnt want to be a starter anymore. He is out of his element

I believe (as usual, sorry) that there are a few things weighing on Fitz.

Firstly his Head Coach is overemphasizing the passing game when he should be doing just the opposite. As a result, there's too much burden on Fitz who takes big shots every week and is very beaten up, IMO… no different from the end of last season.

Secondly, I believe that the new contract is also a mounting burden. I'm sure the fact that the team hasn't won since he signed his deal is weighing on him psychologically.

Fitz is a case study of an organization setting a player up to fail, IMO.

I believe (as usual, sorry) that there are a few things weighing on Fitz.

Firstly his Head Coach is overemphasizing the passing game when he should be doing just the opposite. As a result, there's too much burden on Fitz who takes big shots every week and is very beaten up, IMO… no different from the end of last season.

Secondly, I believe that the new contract is also a mounting burden. I'm sure the fact that the team hasn't won since he signed his deal is weighing on him psychologically.

Fitz is a case study of an organization setting a player up to fail, IMO.

If I may nitpick for a second: we demolished the Redskins in the first game Fitz played after signing his contract. He got his ribs rearranged in that game and he was definitely playing hurt a few games. I'm not sure that's the case the last four games though.

GO BILLS!!!