RIP Christopher Hitchens

LeviF

Writer Christopher Hitchens died Thursday at age 62 from complications of esophageal cancer.

Nice article here: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/christopher-hitchens/graydon-201112

I'll always fondly remember him flipping off Maher's morons, and telling Anderson Cooper of the lovely light given off by his "burning the candle at both ends."

Writer Christopher Hitchens died Thursday at age 62 from complications of esophageal cancer.

Nice article here: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/christopher-hitchens/graydon-201112

I'll always fondly remember him flipping off Maher's morons, and telling Anderson Cooper of the lovely light given off by his "burning the candle at both ends."

RIP...a conservative anyone could respect. Not one of the loons... :beer:

I know you love that clip of him flipping off the audience on "Real Time", but it never stopped him from doing the show.

Edited by Buftex

I'm very sad at this news. I hadn't realized he was dying of esophageal cancer.

He had a great mind, sharp wit, and a penchant for laying low his adversaries with a cutting description.

Coincidentally, I just bought his book on Thomas Paine last weekend.

He was my favorite athiest.

May Gosh rest his soul.

RIP...a conservative anyone could respect. Not one of the loons... :beer:

I know you love that clip of him flipping off the audience on "Real Time", but it never stopped him from doing the show.

He didn't start out that way. Not at all.

Edited by Nanker

I'm very sad at this news. I hadn't realized he was dying of esophageal cancer.

He had a great mind, sharp wit, and a penchant for laying low his adversaries with a cutting description.

Coincidentally, I just bought his book on Thomas Paine last weekend.

He was my favorite athiest.

May Gosh rest his soul.

He didn't start out that way. Not at all.

Yeah, I know...part of what I liked so much about him is that he valued intellect and logic over scoring partisan points. In recent years he had become more politically conservative, but not blindly so.

Of course not, he loved taking digs at Maher whenever he could :D

So who's burning the candle at both ends with me tonight in memoriam? :beer:

They had a lot more in common, than not.

They were both dicks, sure. But the difference was that Hitchens was funny, witty, and intelligent. Maher's a tryhard imbecile.

I'll remember Hitch as the writer of "Why Women Aren't Funny" and as ripper of Sean Hannity.

When Maher dies, I'll remember him as star of "Religulous" (abysmal) and as a ****ty comedian.

See the difference? :D

They were both dicks, sure. But the difference was that Hitchens was funny, witty, and intelligent. Maher's a tryhard imbecile.

I'll remember Hitch as the writer of "Why Women Aren't Funny" and as ripper of Sean Hannity.

When Maher dies, I'll remember him as star of "Religulous" (abysmal) and as a ****ty comedian.

Sounds like somebody is falling for the "he has a British accent, so he is smart" thing! :lol:

Just kidding of course...I think Maher is pretty funny most of the time (not all)...Hitchens was a great guest over the years. I honestly didn't know he was sick...but I had wondered why he hadn't been on in a while.

Totally agree with this. I have to go find that clip again - that was great.....Maher is the least funny comedian I have ever seen. Then when I say something like that people tell me he's not a comedian - he's a social commentator or something.....Then, he makes that totally classless joke about Elizabeth Hasselbeck and she calls him out on it last month, and he and his followers say he's protected from that because he's a comedian. Well, which is he - either way he's not funny!

Sounds like somebody is falling for the "he has a British accent, so he is smart" thing! :lol:

Just kidding of course...I think Maher is pretty funny most of the time (not all)...Hitchens was a great guest over the years. I honestly didn't know he was sick...but I had wondered why he hadn't been on in a while.

:P

The bolded, I suppose, is where we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm with bbb on Maher.

I remember reading that. As much as I admire Hitch, that article was a complete crock of **** in my opinion.

Admired his independent thought,literacy,and toughness- although at times his 'logic'

escaped me.

The belief in atheism has always struck me as having a pinch of pride and a dash of irrationality

at its core.

I love Maher's wit but don't admire his unearned affect of intellectual superiority.Thats what you get when you mix a smart funny guy with a poor education.

Totally agree with this. I have to go find that clip again - that was great.....Maher is the least funny comedian I have ever seen. Then when I say something like that people tell me he's not a comedian - he's a social commentator or something.....Then, he makes that totally classless joke about Elizabeth Hasselbeck and she calls him out on it last month, and he and his followers say he's protected from that because he's a comedian. Well, which is he - either way he's not funny!

Yeah, I agree on some levels. I don't think Maher is funny when he does stand-up type stuff. His joke/puch-line stuff is nothing special. But, I do think he is much smarter than many of you give him credit for. And, he can be damn funny at times...where he is funny is in discussion, point counter-point stuff. He makes me laugh, a lot...

As for his "classless" Elizabeth Hasselbeck joke, it was no different than anything any late-nite comedian hasn't said about random female celebrities. Is it classless to call Rosie O'Donnell a "fat pig" for laughs? It's done all the time, nobody gets their panties in a wad over it. There was a time when Oprah was the punch-line to every fat joke in the book. Hasselbeck just carried on like the shrill, talentless, !@#$ that she is (even though Maher apologized to her on his show, friggin months ago, after she went on some diatribe about it in February, when it happened!) because she loved the attention.

I have never thought of myself as a Bill Maher "follower", though I never miss his show. I like it because it offers people lik Chris Htichens a forum to say what they mean, as ugly, or as off, as it may be sometimes. Ann Coulter can come on, say whatever crazy stuff she wants, she isn't going to be censored. I don't always agree with him, and don't always agree with his guests, but I think it is one of the few topical shows on tv that is honest, and there is something about free thought that can be very funny.

Edited by Buftex

Admired his independent thought,literacy,and toughness- although at times his 'logic'

escaped me.

The belief in atheism has always struck me as having a pinch of pride and a dash of irrationality

at its core.

I love Maher's wit but don't admire his unearned affect of intellectual superiority.Thats what you get when you mix a smart funny guy with a poor education.

It might be the other way around: smart, educated guy, with not the best sense of humour. Go over to the PPP wing, and you will see this on display all the time. Maybe it means nothing to you, but Maher is a Cornell grad.

Yeah, I agree on some levels. I don't think Maher is funny when he does stand-up type stuff. His joke/puch-line stuff is nothing special. But, I do think he is much smarter than many of you give him credit for. And, he can be damn funny at times...where he is funny is in discussion, point counter-point stuff. He makes me laugh, a lot...

As for his "classless" Elizabeth Hasselbeck joke, it was no different than anything any late-nite comedian hasn't said about random female celebrities. Is it classless to call Rosie O'Donnell a "fat pig" for laughs? It's done all the time, nobody gets their panties in a wad over it. There was a time when Oprah was the punch-line to every fat joke in the book. Hasselbeck just carried on like the shrill, talentless, !@#$ that she is (even though Maher apologized to her on his show, friggin months ago, after she went on some diatribe about it in February, when it happened!) because she loved the attention.

I have never thought of myself as a Bill Maher "follower", though I never miss his show. I like it because it offers people lik Chris Htichens a forum to say what they mean, as ugly, or as off, as it may be sometimes. Ann Coulter can come on, say whatever crazy stuff she wants, she isn't going to be censored. I don't always agree with him, and don't always agree with his guests, but I think it is one of the few topical shows on tv that is honest, and there is something about free thought that can be very funny.

I'm not sure anybody called Rosie O'Donnell a fat pig, but I guess it's been implied, so you're saying that's the same as implying that Hasselbeck should be sent over to Egypt to be gang-raped?

I'm not sure anybody called Rosie O'Donnell a fat pig, but I guess it's been implied, so you're saying that's the same as implying that Hasselbeck should be sent over to Egypt to be gang-raped?

he's referring to the weird vendetta Trump has against Rosie O'Donnell. Trump calls her a fat pig and a loser on a pretty regular basis, which then gets defended by the Fox News crew as "satire" or whatever. Though I will say Maher crossed the line wishing what happened to...Lara Logan, is that it?...to Hasselbeck.

he's referring to the weird vendetta Trump has against Rosie O'Donnell. Trump calls her a fat pig and a loser on a pretty regular basis, which then gets defended by the Fox News crew as "satire" or whatever. Though I will say Maher crossed the line wishing what happened to...Lara Logan, is that it?...to Hasselbeck.

Trump isn't a comedian. I think Buftex is saying that late night talk hosts have called her a fat pig...........Maher definitely crossed the line. He claimed Well, I live on the line, so sometimes I end up crossing it.

My biggest beef with Maher is not that I disagree with just about everything he says, but he is just soooo not funny. I disagree with people like Jon Stewart, etc. but I think he's hilarious.

bbb, you are much better than that. That wasn't Mahers' joke. He made the joke, before Lara Logan's rape story came out. She had just been reported taken ito custody by Egyptian government agents, for questioning. This was a week before the rape occurred. Maher, commenting on how "hot" Logan was, joked that perhaps a trade could be made, Logan for, say, Elizabeth Hasselbeck.

Logan was taken into custody on February 4th, and released the next day. Maher made the joke in his monologe on Feb 4th...the rape of Logan didn't occur until Feb. 11th...so, like Elizabeth, you are a little off on your assessment of the joke. It may not have been funny, but in no way did he imply that Hasselbeck should be sent to Egypt to be gang-raped. She carried on about it that week, still before the Logan rape story came out. Maher apologized to her, on is show, on Feb 11th, ironically the same day the rape occurred, but two days before the story broke. Hasselbeck just loves attention, and loves to play the "mean liberals are crucifying me" card quite regularly. She is, to put it kindly, a complete idiot.

Note this article, dated Feb. 9th, concerning the whole Maher/Hasselbeck brew ha-ha...no mention of the Lara Logan rape, because it hadn't happened yet!

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/02/09/bill-maher-elisabeth-hasselbeck-fight/

Anyways, I will miss Christopher Hitchens. :P

Edited by Buftex

Trump isn't a comedian. I think Buftex is saying that late night talk hosts have called her a fat pig...........Maher definitely crossed the line. He claimed Well, I live on the line, so sometimes I end up crossing it.

My biggest beef with Maher is not that I disagree with just about everything he says, but he is just soooo not funny. I disagree with people like Jon Stewart, etc. but I think he's hilarious.

yeah, I don't know. I do know Trump calls her a fat pig all the time. it gets kind of hilarious every time he harps on it. Always for no good reason. Maher is not someone I'm a fan of, but then I find all libertarians pretty insufferable.

Okay, they may not have used the exact words "fat-pig" for O'Donnell, but she is the butt end of jokes by Leno, Letterman, Jimmy Kimmmle, etc, because of her looks. Kimmle used to dress up like her (and Oprah as well) in a fat suit...I honestly could care less, but Hasselbeck is a public figure, who happens to have no problem taking strong (often misguided and misinformed) opinions on people and things in the news and entertainment...you would think she would have developed a thicker skin by now.

Edited by Buftex

I like the "Daily Show" as well, but, honestly, I think too much of the humor on it comes from Stewarts' faces, silly voices, etc...I think what Steven Colbert does is far funnier, and impressive. To me, Colbert is, dare I say it, a comic genius.

I don't get the maher is not funny opinions.but I guess we all have our views.

I think he is a brilliant comic--not so much in stand-up.I don't like or admire his opinions on

more than half of what says--so I don't watch the show anymore.

I felt Carlin was one of the great comic geniuses. And even though he tended(not always--not by a longshot) to

be kinda liberal-I just loved his humor so much and his intellectual honesty so much that I would never miss anything of his.

Perhaps some of that had to do with the fact that you couldnt predict his opinions on different subjects.-

bbb, you are much better than that. That wasn't Mahers' joke. He made the joke, before Lara Logan's rape story came out. She had just been reported taken ito custody by Egyptian government agents, for questioning. This was a week before the rape occurred. Maher, commenting on how "hot" Logan was, joked that perhaps a trade could be made, Logan for, say, Elizabeth Hasselbeck.

Logan was taken into custody on February 4th, and released the next day. Maher made the joke in his monologe on Feb 4th...the rape of Logan didn't occur until Feb. 11th...so, like Elizabeth, you are a little off on your assessment of the joke. It may not have been funny, but in no way did he imply that Hasselbeck should be sent to Egypt to be gang-raped. She carried on about it that week, still before the Logan rape story came out. Maher apologized to her, on is show, on Feb 11th, ironically the same day the rape occurred, but two days before the story broke. Hasselbeck just loves attention, and loves to play the "mean liberals are crucifying me" card quite regularly. She is, to put it kindly, a complete idiot.

Note this article, dated Feb. 9th, concerning the whole Maher/Hasselbeck brew ha-ha...no mention of the Lara Logan rape, because it hadn't happened yet!

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/02/09/bill-maher-elisabeth-hasselbeck-fight/

Anyways, I will miss Christopher Hitchens. :P

Actually, I guess I'm not much better than that. I don't watch The View. I only saw the clip of it on my aol homepage. They didn't give the timeline, so I assumed it was after the rape was known. All I saw was Maher being his usual smarmy ahole self and all the liberal hens actually taking his side somewhat........Since I usually only see clips of the View, it always seems that way - just like on Politically Incorrect (I don't watch his HBO show, but I used to watch PI a lot) - 4 on 1 every time..........So, she likes attention - who on that show or anybody in show business doesn't want attention?

What exactly does she do or say that liberals hate her so much?

My main point still has nothing to do with her. Whenever I've said to a Maher lover that he just isn't funny, they say that he's not supposed to be - he's a social commentator or some other BS name..........But, yet I'm sure this is not the only case where he and his followers cloaked something that could be perceived as over the line by saying "he's a comedian."

Actually, I guess I'm not much better than that. I don't watch The View. I only saw the clip of it on my aol homepage. They didn't give the timeline, so I assumed it was after the rape was known. All I saw was Maher being his usual smarmy ahole self and all the liberal hens actually taking his side somewhat........Since I usually only see clips of the View, it always seems that way - just like on Politically Incorrect (I don't watch his HBO show, but I used to watch PI a lot) - 4 on 1 every time..........So, she likes attention - who on that show or anybody in show business doesn't want attention?

What exactly does she do or say that liberals hate her so much?

My main point still has nothing to do with her. Whenever I've said to a Maher lover that he just isn't funny, they say that he's not supposed to be - he's a social commentator or some other BS name..........But, yet I'm sure this is not the only case where he and his followers cloaked something that could be perceived as over the line by saying "he's a comedian."

Well, I have never used that argument, "he's a comedian". I do think he is very funny doing political banter, but not so much in the traditional joke, punchline style. That is how he started out, and he was not good at it...he then started to add political commentary to his act, and the results were more positive, and then he started doing "Politically Incorrect". Anyways, I don't think any less of you because you don't like Bill Maher (more people seem to dislike him than like him, at least here), but I also think your assessment of his show is not completely accurate either. Humor is subjective, I suppose. I can't stand either Jim Carey or Will Farrell, but people tell me I am nuts...I just think they are wrong...they just don't make me laugh, at all.

You assume the joke came after the rape, because that is what Hasselbeck wants you to assume. It is what people who follow her want to think. I saw Maher on O'Riley, after the dust-up on the View a few weeks ago (like you, I don't watch the View, only see the clips linked to "news" stories on Huff Post, etc) and he asked Maher, why he didn't come out and tell the viewers on the View that the joke in question was made before the rape, and he said, something to the effect of "Well, she was obviously still upset about this thing, 6 months later, so I figured I would let her have her say, and let it die there...I had already apologized to her personally and publicly, and it seemed that we were as good as we ever going to be. I had no idea that she was going to turn the segment into that, so I just wanted her to have her say, get it out of her system, and leave it at that...anything I said wasn't going to change her mind, or change the mind of people who already can't stand me."

Funny thing is, Maher makes jokes about the "liberal" ladies on the View all the time, too...to be fair to Hasselbeck, she has absolutely no credentials to be taken seriously...I assume she is on the View because they needed someone on their panel to represent the opposing opinion, is attractive, and she can't get another job. Before the View, her claim to fame was being married to a scrub NFL football player, and a contestant on Survivor, who, famously pulled her shirt up over her head, to distract her male opponents. There is nary an ounce of intellect to her opinions (which she seems to give loudly and often) only a pious sense of moral superiority. She invokes these imaginary (I would bet) conversations with her infant daughter (who comes off sounding like yoda, wise beyond her years) anytime she can't dig her way out of a hole she has dug for herself, with her mouth. I would prefer she just pull her shirt up over her head... :P

Edited by Buftex

Well, I have never used that argument, "he's a comedian". I do think he is very funny doing political banter, but not so much in the traditional joke, punchline style. That is how he started out, and he was not good at it...he then started to add political commentary to his act, and the results were more positive, and then he started doing "Politically Incorrect". Anyways, I don't think any less of you because you don't like Bill Maher (more people seem to dislike him than like him, at least here), but I also think your assessment of his show is not completely accurate either. Humor is subjective, I suppose. I can't stand either Jim Carey or Will Farrell, but people tell me I am nuts...I just think they are wrong...they just don't make me laugh, at all.

You assume the joke came after the rape, because that is what Hasselbeck wants you to assume. It is what people who follow her want to think. I saw Maher on O'Riley, after the dust-up on the View a few weeks ago (like you, I don't watch the View, only see the clips linked to "news" stories on Huff Post, etc) and he asked Maher, why he didn't come out and tell the viewers on the View that the joke in question was made before the rape, and he said, something to the effect of "Well, she was obviously still upset about this thing, 6 months later, so I figured I would let her have her say, and let it die there...I had already apologized to her personally and publicly, and it seemed that we were as good as we ever going to be. I had no idea that she was going to turn the segment into that, so I just wanted her to have her say, get it out of her system, and leave it at that...anything I said wasn't going to change her mind, or change the mind of people who already can't stand me."

Funny thing is, Maher makes jokes about the "liberal" ladies on the View all the time, too...to be fair to Hasselbeck, she has absolutely no credentials to be taken seriously...I assume she is on the View because they needed someone on their panel to represent the opposing opinion, is attractive, and she can't get another job. Before the View, her claim to fame was being married to a scrub NFL football player, and a contestant on Survivor, who, famously pulled her shirt up over her head, to distract her male opponents. There is nary an ounce of intellect to her opinions (which she seems to give loudly and often) only a pious sense of moral superiority. She invokes these imaginary (I would bet) conversations with her infant daughter (who comes off sounding like yoda, wise beyond her years) anytime she can't dig her way out of a hole she has dug for herself, with her mouth. I would prefer she just pull her shirt up over her head... :P

What kind of conversations can one pretend to have with an infant daughter? This intrigues me.

yup, nailed it. Though I'd prefer Hasselbeck kept her shirt on and maybe just shoved a second shirt in her mouth.

The great thing about Hitchins, and why I never fully bought his neo-con conversion, is the same thing that makes Colbert a genius. Being a wildcard keep pundits from being able to fall back on easy talking points. Being kept on your toes separates the fools (Hannity) from those who actually have thought out convictions as opposed to knee jerk reactions (Maher).

other than the iraq war name one belief he held that wasn't left of center.

Hitchins was deeply pro-life and thought Roe v Wade should be reversed. Also the bulk of his foreign policy beliefs aligned with the neo-con agenda.

now stop complaining, you don't know what you're talking about.

again incorrect.

"That the most partially formed human embryo is both human and alive has now been confirmed, in an especially vivid sense, by the new debate over stem-cell research and the bioethics of cloning"

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2003/02/hitchens200302

Hitchens stated that "[an] unborn child seems to me to be a real concept. It's not a growth or an appendix, You can't say the rights question doesn't come up. I don't think a woman should be forced to choose, or even can be." Although holding a pro-life position, Hitchens opposed the overturning of Roe v. Wade, stating, "that will make abortion more like a contraceptive procedure than a surgical one. That's the Hitchens plank, and I think it's a defensible one." Hitchens took a middle path by affirming that he is pro-life and believing a fetus should be regarded as an "unborn child", but opposing the overturning of Roe v. Wade, supporting the development of medical abortion techniques, and fundamentally believing in access to contraceptives and reproductive rights in order to prevent surgical abortion altogether.[24] He strongly criticized the encouragement of sexual abstinence within the pro-life movement of the Christian Right.[25] Hitchens was a notable genital integrity activist, strongly criticizing the tradition of male circumcision, which he regarded as male genital mutilation, and entirely comparable with female genital cutting. In collaboration with his antitheism, Hitchens wrote of this subject in God Is Not Great citing the tolerance of the removal of the male foreskin which he viewed as equal to the mutilation of the female clitoris in tribal Animist societies of Africa, as due to tolerance of religious doctrine within society.[26]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hitchens%27s_political_views

I was wrong on Roe v Wade, but right on his CONSERVATIVE viewpoint on abortion

I was wrong on Roe v Wade, but right on his CONSERVATIVE viewpoint on abortion

The conservative viewpoint on abortion is overturning Roe v Wade to return abortion to the states (center-right) or completely outlawing abortion at the federal level (far right). Hitchens advocated neither.