Jerry Sullivan Says Bills WON'T Go After a QB in the Draf

I was listening to Jerry Sullivan on WGR all this week. He's pretty down on this franchise like usual -- and rightfully so. An interesting this he said was that he didn't think the Bills would draft a new QB and pay them the money a top rookie QB would demand. He said it would be a very tough sell to Littman and Wilson after they gave Fitz a $61 contract. This makes a lot of sense.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to Jerry Sullivan on WGR all this week. He's pretty down on this franchise like usual -- and rightfully so. An interesting this he said was that he didn't think the Bills would draft a new QB and pay them the money a top rookie QB would demand. He said it would be a very tough sell to Littman and Wilson after they gave Fitz a $61 contract. This makes a lot of sense.

He's most likely correct. Judging by Gailey's recent comments Fitz is the man.

Also, drafting a top 3 Quarterback would signal fail on the organization that just extended him.

$61 million contract is only as good as the next roster bonus due...Very few players except those on their rookie deals play out their entire contract. Look at the deal McNabb signed with Washington. When they extended his contract it was almost assured he wouldn't see the end of the deal. While I don't disagree that the FO will not take a QB high in the draft, it is not because of Fitz's contract. It probably has more to do with a rookie WR or OLB will be cheaper to sign than a rookie QB especially in the first round even with the current slotting system. And the team probably feels with a better/healthier WR corp Fitz will play better.

Fitz is only guaranteed a little over $30M for 3 years. Not too difficult to draft and pay a rookie QB with pay scale in place.

If it came down to money it would make more sense that the Bills drafted a QB. Cam only got 20 million last year with then new cba. Plus, drafting a guy like RG3 would sell a ton of tickets and keep fans in the stands through December.

Yes, but my gut tells me that there is no way they will draft a first round QB. If SJ walks, they will draft a wr imo (NOT what I would want). If he stays, one would think they would go after an OLB, considering they have none on the roster.

Fitz is only guaranteed a little over $30M for 3 years. Not too difficult to draft and pay a rookie QB with pay scale in place.

Good point! If the Bills have a shot at one of the top 3 QBs (Barkley, RG3, or Luck) they HAVE to take him. Anything else would be an epic failure. It would not be an admission that they did the wrong thing by signing Fitz. If Fitz plays well, then the backup can learn the system like Rodgers in Green Bay. If Fitz stinks it up, then they can play the rookie. Plus, it would be nice to have an actual backup QB in our system in case Fitz gets injured. Any of those three would be a huge upgrade over Thigpen and ? (not even sure who the third string QB is).

No way. Too many other needs.

You can't rebuild a team without a QB. Name another team in the league that has rebuit itself w/o a top QB. It CANNOT be done. Fitz can't throw the long ball. What on earth is drafting a top WR going to do to help him. He'll underthrow him just like he does right now. Fitz is good to groom his potential replacement. Also, the way Fitz is playing, he needs to shave that stupid beard. He looks like an a** playing that way and having a cockey "look at me" beard.

If it came down to money it would make more sense that the Bills drafted a QB. Cam only got 20 million last year with then new cba. Plus, drafting a guy like RG3 would sell a ton of tickets and keep fans in the stands through December.

Your avitar is very distrubing for some reason. But your comments are right on.

I don't understand that I thought the rookie salary cap made such considerations passe

Fitz, to me anyway, is not a "franchise" QB. But he is fine for now.

If Nix thinks a great, potential franchise, QB is available when the Bills make their first pick they almost have to take him. Simply because they don't come along every year. But there are far too many glaring holes on this team to waste even a 2nd on a backup to Fitz.

Fitz, to me anyway, is not a "franchise" QB. But he is fine for now.

If Nix thinks a great, potential franchise, QB is available when the Bills make their first pick they almost have to take him. Simply because they don't come along every year. But there are far too many glaring holes on this team to waste even a 2nd on a backup to Fitz.

Again, I agree. But do you think that Mr. Wilson will shell out the big bucks to Fitz AND draft a first round qb? I am NOT asking what he should do. I am asking what you think he will do.

Imo, a healthy Upshaw and some more help at OLB would win us at least 1 more game. More if he turns out to be a stud. The fact that we lack a professional level OLB absolutely HAS to be addressed.