What Happens If They Can't Resign Steve Johnson?

box0life

This isn't worrying me yet. Lee Evans was signed to 9 Mil to begin his contract but it was a declining contract so that this year was 3 mil or something like that. These kind of negotiations are complex and there is a lot of wiggle involved. I will be disappointed but not super upset if he goes. He is 100% heart and I like that about him plus he has chemistry w/Fitz.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he does move on to another team though, I would be really upset with the front office considering buddy nix himself said that they wouldnt be very active in free agency during his tenure, rather focusing on building through the draft and resigning their own guys.

Yes, but some Buddy does not mind seeing moving on like Poz and Whitner last year. 2 guys routinely criticized on here. Made a pretty call on those.

I'm pretty sure they can lose without him.

Build the defense, receivers as good as Brandon Lloyd are available every year for low draft picks. Don't get distracted by fringe players when you trenches are leaky. 2 pass rushers, 1 Ilb, and 1 OT. The rest I don't care....

Stevie Johnson is a nice player, but he's 1 great catch (per game) away from being a great player.

Bless you, my son.

Yeah, every #1 receiver is out there making Revis look stupid. And every receiver can make that great sideline grab he did last week.

The amount of stupid in this one post is remarkable.

He had a good game against Revis for 1 TD, yeah no WR has EVER done that before. :rolleyes:

Do you watch any other Football games besides just the Bills games? I'm not saying that they shouldn't try to re-sign Johnson, but i wouldn't go overboard signing him to a huge contract, or worry that he is someone thats going to be impossible to replace. He is a #1 WR here because he is part of a WR group made up of low round picks and UDFA's. He doesn't make the catches that the majority of the other top WR's make, he doesn't have great speed to outrun alot of CB's, and he has issues dropping balls that are placed right into his hands at critical times in games. He is a fine #2 WR, or maybe a #1b type, but he should not be the cornerstone of the WR core on your team. If it wasn't for his antics on the field, he wouldn't be as known around the league

And maybe not every WR could make that catch, but its the kind of catch most decent WR's will make in the NFL

He had a good game against Revis for 1 TD, yeah no WR has EVER done that before. :rolleyes:

Do you watch any other Football games besides just the Bills games? I'm not saying that they shouldn't try to re-sign Johnson, but i wouldn't go overboard signing him to a huge contract, or worry that he is someone thats going to be impossible to replace. He is a #1 WR here because he is part of a WR group made up of low round picks and UDFA's. He doesn't make the catches that the majority of the other top WR's make, he doesn't have great speed to outrun alot of CB's, and he has issues dropping balls that are placed right into his hands at critical times in games. He is a fine #2 WR, or maybe a #1b type, but he should not be the cornerstone of the WR core on your team. If it wasn't for his antics on the field, he wouldn't be as known around the league

And maybe not every WR could make that catch, but its the kind of catch most decent WR's will make in the NFL

I agree. 8 catches for 75 yards and 1 TD isn't earth shattering in and of itself. Being that it was against Revis does make it more impressive, but at the end of the day it was still 75 yards and 1 TD. Plus you also must consider that he dropped 2 late that well may have altered the outcome of the game.

Pay Johnson what a solid #2 WR is worth, no more.

I agree. 8 catches for 75 yards and 1 TD isn't earth shattering in and of itself. Being that it was against Revis does make it more impressive, but at the end of the day it was still 75 yards and 1 TD. Plus you also must consider that he dropped 2 late that well may have altered the outcome of the game.

Pay Johnson what a solid #2 WR is worth, no more.

The 2 biggest receiving yardage totals a healthy Revis has given up in the last 3 years both came against the Bills this year. The single longest completion Revis has given up in the past 3 years was against Stevie in the first game this year. Guys just don't get open against Revis.

Count me out as a Bills fan....let Stevie walk and I am gonna walk as well......tired of supporting these no talent bum teams blindly.....london fletcher marshawn maybin leonard all seem to be great players when they leave buffalo.....why is that?

I don't see him as top 20-25. I look around the league and EVERY TEAM has at least one receiver I'd prefer over SJ. Statistically, he's at #24 right now (yards receiving). BUT, his lack of hands, intelligence, and potential are very obvious.

Some guys i'd prefer over him who are statistically lower:

Percy Harvin

Golden Tate

Deion Branch

Dez Bryant

Reggie Wayne

Desean Jackson

Mike Williams (TB)

Michael Crabtree

So, I place him at #32

I say draft the best available WR with the 1st pick.

Golden Tate Deion Branch? I can't take this anymore..........I am sure Deion Branch would kill it in place in Stevie.....Reeeeedeeeeekulous...

Count me out as a Bills fan....let Stevie walk and I am gonna walk as well......tired of supporting these no talent bum teams blindly.....london fletcher marshawn maybin leonard all seem to be great players when they leave buffalo.....why is that?

Don't know, But I believe the majority of the fans supported those players being shipped out

London Fletcher - Too old, stats are bloated, all his tackles are made downfield......

Marshawn - Quit on the team, is one strike away from being suspended for the season, an idiot thug......

Maybin - Sucks, is horrible, can't play, undersized, bigest draft bust in team history, etc, etc, etc..........

Leonard - Was a backup, not as good as the current starters............

Letting SJ walk would be a huge mistake. He's talented, loves the team, seems to love the city, and is still on the upside of his career. And how the hell would we find two WRs in the offseason with all the other holes we need filling?

I just hope he has the common sense that he has yet to prove he's a consistent asset for this team and takes a package that is fair to himself, owners and fans.

Well, after Hurd's eventual conviction I hear the Bears will be in the market for a talented proven receiver.. :)

Sign him, 8 million a year 5 guarnteed, with incentives, two year deal with a 3rd year option of 8 million.

We need to fill holes, NOT create more of them, and if Nix and the FO don't get this, I'm out. I've been a Bills fan my entire life, attended 3 games this year, brought friends and family, and spent money on over-priced beer, and food to supoort the club. If they keep letting talent walk, then why shouldn't I walk?

Tim-

Don't know, But I believe the majority of the fans supported those players being shipped out

London Fletcher - Too old, stats are bloated, all his tackles are made downfield......

Marshawn - Quit on the team, is one strike away from being suspended for the season, an idiot thug......

Maybin - Sucks, is horrible, can't play, undersized, bigest draft bust in team history, etc, etc, etc..........

Leonard - Was a backup, not as good as the current starters............

I hear ya....London hasnt been old the past few years hes been pounding out 100 tackle season(disagree w ya there)

Marshawn = beast mode....makin it rain skittles and td's (beast) I would quit too if I had to see Trent Edwards everyday! haa

Maybin...looks like he's getting it in to me....sure was causing pressure against us...Leonard I'll give ya that one thats about it...

My main thing is Stevie wants to be here, and he wants to start a winning culture. If Ryan "ragarm" Fitzpatrick got 60 mil, I don't see how we can't ship Stevie a lil stack o change.

Depends on how well the smear campaign goes. B-)

It would just be another round in the chamber for calling the Bills a farm team, a team that can go all-in to sign players that are just another guy types, but can't generate enough interest, money, or whatever to keep the better players that they have developed past their first contract.

And with one more loss the team becomes the only team in the NFL to not post at least a .500 record in the last 7 seasons.

Oh well...........this team has been stuck in reverse for 12 years. Why would anyone expect the FO to keep a decent player?? Hey we have Kelsay locked up for a few more years so at least we are set there....LOL!

Edited by Azucho98

If the plan it to stick with Fitz, then you HAVE to sign Stevie, and add another WR and OL depth. Without him, we are looking at 3-4 wins next year tops.

If you were looking to buy a jersey, who would you be compelled to buy? Freddie (possibly gone in one year), Stevie (probably gone in 3 games), Fitz (nope). The only above average player I can think of that will absolutely be on the team in 3 years is Dareus. That's sad.

The next Bills jersey I buy is going to be Bruce Smiths.

Well, yeah, kinda. Stevie is the first and only WR to catch a TD on Revis this season.

And Stevie had an opportunity at two game winners and dropped them. With Stevie, its the good, the bad, and the ugly. But they have to re-sign him. They can't let him walk away.

Edited by Kevin

Apparently Nix has rejected Steve Johnson's last contract proposal. What happens if we don't sign this guy. That puts us in a situation where we will need two starting WR next year along with major starters needed at LB, DE and at CB. Not to mention that they seriously need more depth at almost every position. If they don't fill some needs during free agency and resign some of there key players, this team is two or three drafts from contending.

Gailey says they need 10-12 starters and they may need a few more if they don't sign some of their key free agents. Then you couple that with the fact the Cuomo won't commit any money to improving the stadium and this team looks done.

Three straight blacked out home games this year along with two or three years more of rebuilding. More black out games to occur in the next two years based on this lousy product and this team looks primed for a move to Toronto or LA.

He is not worth it. He drops game winning TD passes. Remember Pitt?

Apparently Nix has rejected Steve Johnson's last contract proposal. What happens if we don't sign this guy. That puts us in a situation where we will need two starting WR next year along with major starters needed at LB, DE and at CB. Not to mention that they seriously need more depth at almost every position. If they don't fill some needs during free agency and resign some of there key players, this team is two or three drafts from contending.

Gailey says they need 10-12 starters and they may need a few more if they don't sign some of their key free agents. Then you couple that with the fact the Cuomo won't commit any money to improving the stadium and this team looks done.

Three straight blacked out home games this year along with two or three years more of rebuilding. More black out games to occur in the next two years based on this lousy product and this team looks primed for a move to Toronto or LA.

When did Gailey say we needed 10-12 starters?

I'm torn on this one. The guy makes some good plays, but he drops waaaaaaay too many passes especially when they mean it. If we sign him, when will the next one be. A year from now when we need a win to make the playoffs? But then again, if we let him walk, we gotta sign someone else and they may even be worse. But if we're going to throw big money at a guy with the dropsies, why not take that 9 mil and go after Colston or Meechum or Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe or Brandon Lloyd or Braylon Edwards or Mario Manningham or Anthony Gonzalez or Plaxico Burress or Reggie Wayne. heck, let's get two of the 'em to go with Nelson and Chandler after we re sign him. Then let Easley and Jones and Roosevelt and Smith and whoever we draft fight it out for what's left.

Honestly I don't care about the age that much. I'm tired of building for the future. Let's just try to put a team together that can get us a non losing season for once. Then we can start worrying about playoffs and super bowl after that.