As a GM I would....

Every year I make a draft board/ free agent moves, so here's PART ONE...and it is subject to change as we move closer to the draft. Background on myself, I am a college student studying Sports Management and I am currently a student coach for a Division 1 program, about to graduate and hope to get an NFL internship for the summer.

Free Agency:

Wide Receivers:

1. Let Roscoe Walk.

2. Cut Roosevelt.

3. Extend or franchise Stevie.

4. Give Fitz and Stevie something to work with, sign one of the Jacksons, Vincent or DeSean.

OL:

1.Sign Bell to an extension, (Free Agent)

2. Sign Jared Gaither: hear me out, he is now starting for the Chiefs and has looked good/healthy. Provides much needed depth and skill when healthy.

3. We signed Pears today, so if Urbik doesnt take an affordable offer let him walk. (free agent)

DL:

1.Cut Spencer Johnson

2. Sign John Abraham: He is getting up there in age but does still have 2-3 years of good production left, and he can help a young defense.

LB:

1. Andra Davis, Kirk Morrison, and Reggie Torbor are all free agents. Would prefer to bring back Torbor for depth, let the others walk.

2. Sign Anthony Spencer: He can be had at a good price, reliable preformer on the field and an upgrade at a weak position for us.

DRAFT: Now time for the fun part...its really early but I thought I would put together the first two rounds.

1. I assume we will be picking between 8-12 this year, so I propose we trade back to around 16-19 and pick up another 2nd round pick while grabbing.....

1st: ILB Vontaze Burfict from Arizona State, can be had after trading back; Burfict has great instincts, makes plays sideline to sideline and is far more disciplined than he gets credit for. Has a ton of experience and will draw comparisons to many of the elite middle linebackers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7achvXsy3Q

2nd (number 1): Mike Adams, OT from OSU. Suspended for the first few games this season due to the OSU scandal. He is a mountain of a man, 6'8 320. He plays nasty and brings toughness and has played against top level players while at OSU. He has long and powerful arms and has been extremely durable while playing both LT and RT.

2nd (number 2): Brandon Jenkins, DE from FL State. Had a huge year in 2010 but a little dip in 2011, but still played extremely well. Played DE in college and could get to the QB, has the speed and ability to play OLB for us, but I like him at end. Here are his highlights.

Have not had enough time to do the other rounds, but I'll get them.

Shoot away, and feel free to post your ideas.

2. Sign Jared Gaither: hear me out, he is now starting for the Chiefs and has looked good/healthy. Provides much needed depth and skill when healthy.

3. We signed Pears today, so if Urbik doesnt take an affordable offer let him walk. (free agent)

Gaither got cut by the Chiefs after starting zero games for them. He was claimed on waivers by the Chargers, passed over by the Bills. I am unsure of his position on SDs depth chart, regardless he's never healthy and has had past attitude issues leading to his release in Baltimore.

Urbik is an RFA, he'll be back on either the one year tender or resigned. He's been solid at RG and has shown an ability to play center in a pinch. I can't see them letting him go for awhile.

Every time I see the words "franchise Stevie" I get the shakes.

He is worth keeping on this team to be sure, but hang a franchise tag on a #2 receiver? :doh:

At this point it is probably the only way you're keeping him, there's no way he doesn't test the open market and if he does that he's as good as gone. The way the tag is calculated has changed for next season and will be around $9.4M. Not terrible money for him on a one year contract.

Edited by Carey Bender

Every time I see the words "franchise Stevie" I get the shakes.

He is worth keeping on this team to be sure, but hang a franchise tag on a #2 receiver? :doh:

You hang it on him to avoid losing him this year. Then, you try and negotate a long term deal. He's is going over 1,000 yards for the 2nd year in a row, schooled Revis, and is our most complete receiver since Eric Moulds. He's not Fitz but you don't make your team better by letting quality players leave for nothing.

As for Burdict, I'd avoid him. He is a headcase that the coaches at ASU have tried everything to get his head on straight. I love aggresiveness but he takes a lot of selfish personal fouls that kills teams.

IMO, here are the list of biggest needs:

1) Pass Rusher

2) Legit speed receiver (a field stretching could also work)

3) A young franchise QB

4) Pass rusher

5) Corner

6) Pass rusher

He's not a #2 on this team- the first thing the GM has to do is keep what little talent we have.

Exactly, If Stevie walks everyone on this board is going to go nuts. If he cant agree on a reasonable contract I would slap the tag on him, I would make him one of the top paid WR in the NFL, but idk about top 5. That's why you gotta love incentives on performance in contracts.

At this point it is probably the only way you're keeping him, there's no way he doesn't test the open market and if he does that he's as good as gone. The way the tag is calculated has changed for next season and will be around $9.4M. Not terrible money for him on a one year contract.

You think some team will be offering him big $$$? And you think he is worth $9.4M for one season?

I don't on either count, but I am no expert in GMish stuff either.

You think some team will be offering him big $$$? And you think he is worth $9.4M for one season?

Your most recent comparables for free agent WRs are Santonio Holmes (5 yrs $45.25M) or Sidney Rice (5 yrs $41M) from last offseason.

I think on the open market he'll get 5 years at somewhere between $7M to $8.5M per year. So to pay an extra $1M-$2M for one season to retain him I think it's worth it.

Edited by Carey Bender

You hang it on him to avoid losing him this year. Then, you try and negotate a long term deal. He's is going over 1,000 yards for the 2nd year in a row, schooled Revis, and is our most complete receiver since Eric Moulds. He's not Fitz but you don't make your team better by letting quality players leave for nothing.

As for Burdict, I'd avoid him. He is a headcase that the coaches at ASU have tried everything to get his head on straight. I love aggresiveness but he takes a lot of selfish personal fouls that kills teams.

IMO, here are the list of biggest needs:

1) Pass Rusher

2) Legit speed receiver (a field stretching could also work)

3) A young franchise QB

4) Pass rusher

5) Corner

6) Pass rusher

I agree you can't just let Johnson walk. You don't get better by creating more needs but rather by filling them. I like you're list but IMO we need a franchise LT. There are a few of them (Kalil - USC, Martin - Standford, Reiff -Iowa) rated near the top of the draft where the Bills can be expected to pick. I don't see any of the OT's on the roster filling this need. I like Bell but he can't stay on the field for more than 6 or 7 games a season and I think the Bills low sack's against total is more a function of the gameplan vs. the stength of their pass blocking.

Your most recent comparables for free agent WRs are Santonio Holmes (5 yrs $45.25M) or Sidney Rice (5 yrs $41M) from last offseason.

I think on the open market he'll get 5 years at somewhere between $7M to $8.5M per year. So to pay an extra $1M-$2M for one season to retain him I think it's worth it.

I've never understood why people are opposed to paying market price for quality players. Stevie will get $8-9 million per year, as you've said, because that's what the market dictates. Since we are usually so far under the cap, anyway, I have no idea why people are opposed to spending the 1-2 million more than he's worth. We'd be in shambles at the WR position without SJ.

Who cares what he is worth. The one sure way of keeping him is to tag him. He is one of the few NFL Caliber Players we have on this roster. Tag him & worry about renogiating with him for a long term contract during the season. I highly doubt the beancounters in Detroit sign off on giving him 1 year $9 + million so yes he is probably as good as gone.

Who cares what he is worth. The one sure way of keeping him is to tag him. He is one of the few NFL Caliber Players we have on this roster. Tag him & worry about renogiating with him for a long term contract during the season. I highly doubt the beancounters in Detroit sign off on giving him 1 year $9 + million so yes he is probably as good as gone.

Who cares what he is worth? It's real easy to spend other peoples money isn't it.

We are talking about Steve Johnson here people, not Jerry Rice. Yes he is the best the Bills have, by a lot. But holy crap how desperate do you have to be to hang a tag on someone like Johnson. How about using that money wisely for signing a FA WR worth that kind of money (assuming one becomes available). Maybe it's me but I have trouble with knee jerk "throw money at it even if it does not make sense" philosophies. :huh:

Make Johnson a reasonable, heck even more than reasonable offer for a #2 WR in the league. But the Bills already have enough high priced under producing talent in my opinion.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Who cares what he is worth? It's real easy to spend other peoples money isn't it.

We are talking about Steve Johnson here people, not Jerry Rice. Yes he is the best the Bills have, by a lot. But holy crap how desperate do you have to be to hang a tag on someone like Johnson. How about using that money wisely for signing a FA WR worth that kind of money (assuming one becomes available). Maybe it's me but I have trouble with knee jerk "throw money at it even if it does not make sense" philosophies. :huh:

Make Johnson a reasonable, heck even more than reasonable offer for a #2 WR in the league. But the Bills already have enough high priced under producing talent in my opinion.

Well when the bills are $40 million under the cap next year & their #1 wide receiver is Donald Jones I will be the first one to congratulate you.

A few changes:

Free Agency:

Wide Receivers:

1. Let Roscoe Walk. yes

2. Cut Roosevelt. Why? Let him compete for a roster spot.

3. Extend or franchise Stevie. Not to a big #1 contract. He is not an elite reciever. Slow with average hands. He is good, not great

4. Give Fitz and Stevie something to work with, sign one of the Jacksons, Vincent or DeSean. bring in more speed and size - yes

OL:

1.Sign Bell to an extension, (Free Agent) tough one -- yes, but don't break the bank on him

2. Sign Jared Gaither: hear me out, he is now starting for the Chiefs and has looked good/healthy. Provides much needed depth and skill when healthy. He is a major risk due to past health issues. Bring in solid veteran help or spend a premium draft pick on a LT. We need a better LT and we need a backup C/G

3. We signed Pears today, so if Urbik doesnt take an affordable offer let him walk. (free agent) No. Urbik should be retained. He is solid. Pay him a fair rate

DL:

1.Cut Spencer Johnson no. don't cut people and give jobs away. sign better people and then compete in camp

2. Sign John Abraham: He is getting up there in age but does still have 2-3 years of good production left, and he can help a young defense. no. Too old.

LB:

1. Andra Davis, Kirk Morrison, and Reggie Torbor are all free agents. Would prefer to bring back Torbor for depth, let the others walk. Torbor is the worst of the bunch and they are all expendable

2. Sign Anthony Spencer: He can be had at a good price, reliable preformer on the field and an upgrade at a weak position for us. Sign a big talent, make a splash. Draft a pass rusher DE/OLB too.

DRAFT: Now time for the fun part...its really early but I thought I would put together the first two rounds. too early for this but it is obvious we have major needs are QB, LT, Pass rusher, WR

1. I assume we will be picking between 8-12 this year, so I propose we trade back to around 16-19 and pick up another 2nd round pick while grabbing.....

1st: ILB Vontaze Burfict from Arizona State, can be had after trading back; Burfict has great instincts, makes plays sideline to sideline and is far more disciplined than he gets credit for. Has a ton of experience and will draw comparisons to many of the elite middle linebackers. youtube.com/watch?v=d7achvXsy3Q

2nd (number 1): Mike Adams, OT from OSU. Suspended for the first few games this season due to the OSU scandal. He is a mountain of a man, 6'8 320. He plays nasty and brings toughness and has played against top level players while at OSU. He has long and powerful arms and has been extremely durable while playing both LT and RT.

2nd (number 2): Brandon Jenkins, DE from FL State. Had a huge year in 2010 but a little dip in 2011, but still played extremely well. Played DE in college and could get to the QB, has the speed and ability to play OLB for us, but I like him at end. Here are his highlights.

Have not had enough time to do the other rounds, but I'll get them.

Shoot away, and feel free to post your ideas.

Edited by Bob in STL

An awful lot of people saw Stevie Johnson catch pass after pass against Darrell Revis. That's going to send his price up into the franchise-tag area as it is. And it's not ridiculous, either:

He's 11th among WRs in receptions, and 20th in yards; 15th in touchdowns. And these aren't numbers that are coming with Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers throwing passes to him. They're respectable, mid-range starter numbers. It's about what Santonio Holmes does, and he's going to expect about what Santonio Holmes makes: in 12 games last year, Holmes had 52/746/6; Johnson in 13 has done 63/790/6. And Holmes got 5 years, $45M, with $24M guaranteed.

If we want to talk about star receiver money, look at Larry Fitzgerald, who pulled in $50M guaranteed worth $15M per year. There's a lot of space between $9M and $15M. There's a lot of space between Fitzgerald and Johnson.

But good lord, I do not want to see this offense without him. That's his price. If you'd rather pay $12M/season for DeSean Jackson, then go ahead, but I'm not convinced.

An awful lot of people saw Stevie Johnson catch pass after pass against Darrell Revis. That's going to send his price up into the franchise-tag area as it is. And it's not ridiculous, either:

He's 11th among WRs in receptions, and 20th in yards; 15th in touchdowns. And these aren't numbers that are coming with Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers throwing passes to him. They're respectable, mid-range starter numbers. It's about what Santonio Holmes does, and he's going to expect about what Santonio Holmes makes: in 12 games last year, Holmes had 52/746/6; Johnson in 13 has done 63/790/6. And Holmes got 5 years, $45M, with $24M guaranteed.

If we want to talk about star receiver money, look at Larry Fitzgerald, who pulled in $50M guaranteed worth $15M per year. There's a lot of space between $9M and $15M. There's a lot of space between Fitzgerald and Johnson.

But good lord, I do not want to see this offense without him. That's his price. If you'd rather pay $12M/season for DeSean Jackson, then go ahead, but I'm not convinced.

8 passes for 75 yards. I don't understand all the Revis fuss? Maybe other teams avoid Revis more because thay have better options?

Johnson is a tough call. I don't see him as a legit #1 elite guy, but he is 100X better than anything else we have. You just know somweone else will pay him and make him the best #2 reciever in the NFL.

Signing Bell will also be a tough call. Our pitiful FO would typically let Bell walk and "hope" that Hairston can do the job. Then replace Bell with a lesser back up behind Hairston. One big reason we never get better is that we replace the same postions over and over again.