Signing Merriman, Letting Spiller Run Wild...

Another pointless season in the record books. Have to say I have no emotion left over this team, having gone through the gamut of emotions this season:

KC, Wash (thrilled), Oak, NE (excited and proud), Cinci, NY (optimistic), Jets 1 (deeply concerned), Jets 2 (excited again), Dallas (ticked), Miami (depressed), Titans (bored), Chargers (hopeless).

How many of us expect JP Losman to come in and light us up? Doesn't get much lower than that. :sick:

So, my somewhat meaningless opinion on priorities, in order, for this team to give us excitement once again and finally make the playoffs:

2. DC. All I know is our D has gotten substantially worse after Fewell left. Get someone...STAT.
  3. Draft an OLB. No secret this is our biggest weakness. 1st round.
  4. Give Merriman one more shot. He has a huge impact on the way others play us...and losing him was the first death knell. I know many disagree.
  5. OT/OG. Second death knell--losing Wood. Draft someone in the 2nd. Depth is a serious issue. We also need a pass blocker to give Fitz more than 2 seconds.
  6. Sign Freddie. Final death knell--losing Jackson. He deserves a contract. Only elite player we have. I'd be ticked if we didn't. He's a monster, and has several years left in him.
  7. Sign Stevie. For all his faults, he's our only talent at WR and he's kind of fun having around. He'll get better.
  8. WR. Either through free agency, a trade or the draft, we need a deep threat.
  9. DE. Dareous and Williams need help. Not depth. But help.

Other thoughts:

2. Let CJ run wild for the rest of the year. See if he can hit the holes. He may surprise us, or at least showcase his talents for a potential trade.
  3. QB should not be a priority. Give Fitz the tools he needs.
  4. Secondary should also not be a priority. Their bad play is a direct result of our lack of a pass rush, period. Focus on pass rush, and an explosive offense, and the secondary will do its job well.

Have at it.

Edited by JustinAtlanta

Another pointless season in the record books. Have to say I have no emotion left over this team, having gone through the gamut of emotions this season:

KC, Wash (thrilled), Oak, NE (excited and proud), Cinci, NY (optimistic), Jets 1 (deeply concerned), Jets 2 (excited again), Dallas (ticked), Miami (depressed), Titans (bored), Chargers (hopeless).

How many of us expect JP Losman to come in and light us up? Doesn't get much lower than that. :sick:

So, my somewhat meaningless opinion on priorities, in order, for this team to give us excitement once again and finally make the playoffs:

2. DC. All I know is our D has gotten substantially worse after Fewell left. Get someone...STAT.
  3. Draft an OLB. No secret this is our biggest weakness. 1st round.
  4. Give Merriman one more shot. He has a huge impact on the way others play us...and losing him was the first death knell. I know many disagree.
  5. OT/OG. Second death knell--losing Wood. Draft someone in the 2nd. Depth is a serious issue. We also need a pass blocker to give Fitz more than 2 seconds.
  6. Sign Freddie. Final death knell--losing Jackson. He deserves a contract. Only elite player we have. I'd be ticked if we didn't. He's a monster, and has several years left in him.
  7. Sign Stevie. For all his faults, he's our only talent at WR and he's kind of fun having around. He'll get better.
  8. WR. Either through free agency, a trade or the draft, we need a deep threat.
  9. DE. Dareous and Williams need help. Not depth. But help.

Other thoughts:

2. Let CJ run wild for the rest of the year. See if he can hit the holes. He may surprise us, or at least showcase his talents for a potential trade.
  3. QB should not be a priority. Give Fitz the tools he needs.
  4. Secondary should also not be a priority. Their bad play is a direct result of our lack of a pass rush, period. Focus on pass rush, and an explosive offense, and the secondary will do its job well.

Have at it.

I don't think Dwan Edwards gets enough credit on this board. In my opinion, he's an average starting DE. We need two solid OLBs before another DE, in my opinion. Honestly, this team would be better off in a 4-3, but that probably won't happen. Either way, here's to hoping we get Upshaw, and that he ends up being the next Orakpo.

I'd actually consider sitting Fitz and see what Pigpen can do.

At the very least it should force the O to run more, rest Fitz if he really is hurt (which I don't believe), and even if he isn't hurt save him the embarrassment of the rest of the season.

Thigpen has had enough playing time this year to prove that he's not a serviceable starter. Keep playing Fitz.

1. Realize your best 2 defensive players are Dareus and a healthy Kyle Williams and they're best as DTs in a 4-3 defense.

2. Free agency you need to keep your own talent here and happy, after that you need a DE, WR, and RB, you are not going to be able to attract top tier but you can get Cliff Avril DE, Robert Meachem WR, Michael Bush RB.

3. Draft: the Bills will end up drafting around 10

1. Zach Brown LB

use 2nd 3rd and 4ths to move back into 1st round

1a. Vontaze Burfict LB

Defense front 7

LE Carrington, Dareus, Kyle Williams, RE Cliff Avril

OLB Barnett MLB Burfict OLB Zack Brown

I'd actually consider sitting Fitz and see what Pigpen can do.

At the very least it should force the O to run more, rest Fitz if he really is hurt (which I don't believe), and even if he isn't hurt save him the embarrassment of the rest of the season.

Did you watch preseason? Pigpen was awful. 1-12 as a starter

His garbage time INT this past week was a pop warner read, just awful

Dean Edwards is probably the most consistent down lineman on this team. He is a valued depth player. We need to bring in a DT that can move the line and impact blocking schemes to use those OLB's otherwise they are just sitting ducks.

The entire defense is struggling because of timing. The QB is getting too much. Anyone who thinks we can play like the Jets is insane. They may play now but will pay later. Keeping Revis and Cromartie happy will be hard with Scott, Plax, Sanchez, LT, the young RB, and rising Maybin. Another year or sacks or a decent postaeason and Maybin will demand a raise.

Dean Edwards is probably the most consistent down lineman on this team. He is a valued depth player. We need to bring in a DT that can move the line and impact blocking schemes to use those OLB's otherwise they are just sitting ducks.

The entire defense is struggling because of timing. The QB is getting too much. Anyone who thinks we can play like the Jets is insane. They may play now but will pay later. Keeping Revis and Cromartie happy will be hard with Scott, Plax, Sanchez, LT, the young RB, and rising Maybin. Another year or sacks or a decent postaeason and Maybin will demand a raise.

The Jets don't pay LT much, and he'll be gone next year. Scott is old enough to get significant guaranteed money. They'll be ok with the cap, I think, unlike Green Bay- who will have to give up one of their wideouts or Finley- or Baltimore, which has to pay Ray Rice and others.

I don't think Gailey is the one preventing Spiller from "running wild."

PTR

After a solid first half against the Titans (80 yards, including a 35 yard TD run, and another 40 yard TD run called back for a phantom hold), how many carries did Spiller get in the second half? 3 carries for 3 yards. I like Gailey and all, but I don't see how you can not come to the conclusion that he is a little too enamored with the passing game sometimes.

Good. So have him feed Spiller/White/Choice all day.

Call me nuts, but I think Choice has looked pretty good, so far...he may turn out to be a real good pick up. I hadn't realized he played for Gailey at GA Tech.

After a solid first half against the Titans (80 yards, including a 35 yard TD run, and another 40 yard TD run called back for a phantom hold), how many carries did Spiller get in the second half? 3 carries for 3 yards. I like Gailey and all, but I don't see how you can not come to the conclusion that he is a little too enamored with the passing game sometimes.

I saw one play against the Chargers where Spiller caught a screen. He was mowed down by a defender who was ten yards from him before he could cross the line of scrimmage. One man to beat who started from 10 yards away...couldn't do it.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I saw one play against the Chargers where Spiller caught a screen. He was mowed down by a defender who was ten yards from him before he could cross the line of scrimmage. One man to beat who started from 10 yards away...couldn't do it.

PTR

The team effort against the Chargers was ghastly.

PTR,

He was run like three times in the second half. He played pretty well against the Jets. He needs touches, in both halves, to see if he will develop.

Whenever he gets a chance at the ball with just kickoffs and punts he does nothing to try to show his worth. Like in the Replacements, winners want the ball. Spiller doesn't seem to care if he has the ball or not. Watch Chris Johnson take his time to pick a hole...watch Spiller just hurl his body in a gap.