Pears signed to extension

CBD

Fine with the Pears extension but Hairston is not long term LT material. He just doesn't have to pure athleticism for it. Even though Bell is not very durable I would bring him back if possible. I would be OK with using Hairston as a fill in LT or RT of the future but not a full time LT. I guess we would be alright using a rotation of these 3.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice contract. Not too much $$. Love the signing. Good job on this one buddy. Now get Stevie signed and give Fred a raise (if there's one player this franchise has had in this decade that deserves a raise, it's Fred).

Might as well. have to spend to the cap Buddy. don't get cheap on us now. however Fred is on the wrong side of 30 and will want $10+ per year. so will Stevie. how do you feel about that, if it means you then cannot sign free agents?

It's a solid contract, but don't kid yourself: that's starter money. We're not upgrading the RT position, and using Pears as a swing tackle. So the question now is if the team would be happy to pay Bell and use Hairston as a swing (perhaps taking over RT after the Pears contract expires) or if they're going to simply start Hairston. It seems unlikely that we'll have any 2012 OL starters not currently on the team.

Fine with the Pears extension but Hairston is not long term LT material. He just doesn't have to pure athleticism for it. Even though Bell is not very durable I would bring him back if possible. I would be OK with using Hairston as a fill in LT or RT of the future but not a full time LT. I guess we would be alright using a rotation of these 3.

There is no way you or anyone else knows that right now. He is a rookie that has started a handful of games and acquitted himself pretty well, by all accounts. He could be the next Anthony Munoz for all we know. Let's give him a chance to succeed before we proclaim him unfit for the position.

It's a solid contract, but don't kid yourself: that's starter money. We're not upgrading the RT position, and using Pears as a swing tackle. So the question now is if the team would be happy to pay Bell and use Hairston as a swing (perhaps taking over RT after the Pears contract expires) or if they're going to simply start Hairston. It seems unlikely that we'll have any 2012 OL starters not currently on the team.

Agree 100%. This guy for better or worse is our starting RT. He holds his own and is better than Cornell Green and the like but still gets beat several times a game. I thought we would've been better served moving Hairston to the right and finding a real LT, and using Pears as depth. But the line performed well in the beginning of the year, so there is some hope.

he has been very solid at RT. bell cant stay healthy, i think they draft a LT like another hairston, and let hairston start yr at LT and the kid we draft will take over hairstins role this yr.. Hairston has regressed a little last few weeks, but dont discredit no offseason and short training camp to get him ready. i think hairston has been a very solid 4th round pick and has potential to be alot better with a full offseason behind him.. for the tie 1st time in a LONG time our OL is not our biggest problem and i have no problem keeping line the way it is and bring in a vet that has ability to play 2-3 diff positions and hopefully Wood is healthy sooner than later cuz he looks like our best 1st round pick on the decade.

I don't know where you guys are getting your info, but $3 mil per season is definitely NOT starter money in the NFL.

Maybe not in the NFL at large, but is there anyone on the team earning more than $3M who's not starting? That kind of money got Geoff Hangartener cut.

I don't know where you guys are getting your info, but $3 mil per season is definitely NOT starter money in the NFL.

it is when the majority of your team is filled with undrafted or street free agents picked up off the street

$3mil/year is not guaranteed starter money. Hairston could beat him out next year if we decide to bring back Bell AND add another LT to compete.

Pears may start next year, but that doesnt mean we wont look at upgrading the position as well while keeping Pears for depth. This is how you build a team (nice job Nix, Whaley and Co.)

We were offering $5-7mil.year to Clabo. THAT is starter money. $3mil/year with an ever increasing cap is not much in today's NFL.

For the Bills it is.

Andra Davis is making over $2mil/year and has been benched for a rookie

Spencer Johnson is making over $3mil/year and is not the starter

These are role players and depth guys, as their salary level dictates.

Now, it would be nice if Pears earned the right to hold down the starters spot as he would be a cheap RT. But my point is, it is not set in stone in the FO that he MUST start.

Do you really believe that Dr Dank? Really?

I'm not saying Pears is the worst we could do, but at that salary I'd bet they have the notion he'll be the starter for the next few years.

regardless of salary, i bet they have that notion. my point was that his salary does not necessarily dictate that he must start. as evidenced by guys that this FO brought in, making similar money, who are now on the bench after being upgraded/replaced.

if Bell comes back and Hairston continues to develop and improve, they are not going to start Pears just because they are paying him an average salary.

Do you really believe that Dr Dank? Really?

I'm not saying Pears is the worst we could do, but at that salary I'd bet they have the notion he'll be the starter for the next few years.

I think you have your doctors mixed up… that's alright.

Same thing happens to me with all these damned prescriptions…

Never mind, I see he had a name-change operation.

Carry on.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Agree 100%. This guy for better or worse is our starting RT. He holds his own and is better than Cornell Green and the like but still gets beat several times a game. I thought we would've been better served moving Hairston to the right and finding a real LT, and using Pears as depth. But the line performed well in the beginning of the year, so there is some hope.

Really? I haven't seen that.

if we can find a way to keep Bell upright and on the team with Hairston we have a servicable set of tackles with Pears ( who will improve i bet). that might be enough to create a consistency that makes an offending line successful. Levitre is my boy, and Wood might be the long term center

" jury is out though, can he be healthy?" and Chad is good enough for sure. Its the group work that makes it. not the individual, on O line IMHO.

I agree on this mostly. quote= "Really? I haven't seen that" in regard to him getting beat

Edited by 3rdand12