Lets draft 5 linebackers

maddenboy

2012: Build a dominant Linebacker corps. Just focus on one unit at a time. We're running a 3-4. Lets draft 5 linebackers next year. I am serious about that.

2013: Build a dominant offensive line by drafting LT and RT first and second. Our interior line is already okay.

2014: Build a dominant WR/TE corps and get me a QB.

During this time, we will have drafted some okay players in the later rounds that will have stepped up (CB, DE, RB). Now,

2015: Draft a couple "need" players, now that you actually know what you "need" to make a deep run in the playoffs. Right now, we draft what we "need" to have a shot at .500 football.

Listen. 2015 is coming. One day, we will wake up and it will be 2015. When it comes, we can either have some dominant units, or we can be rebuilding again. Stop drafting a guy here, and a guy there. Have a clear vision and plan to Dominate and Dictate.

I'd say we probably should move to a four three and get Kyle and Dareus on the field together. That way we don't need anymore linebackers maybe draft a first round shutdown corner. I'd like to see the bills be able to play a physical man coverage all game long. Just my opinion.

I'd say we probably should move to a four three and get Kyle and Dareus on the field together. That way we don't need anymore linebackers maybe draft a first round shutdown corner. I'd like to see the bills be able to play a physical man coverage all game long. Just my opinion.

A corner? Really. No,No,No. OlB,Olb ,Ilb,Olb.

This, 4-3 is our best bet we will need a legit RDE but If we stay 3-4 we need OLBs and a legit NT.

For a 4-3 we need two starting DEs and two starting OLBs. For a 3-4 we need two starting OLBs, a starting ILB, and a starter somewhere on the DL. Either way you need to find four starting calibre front seven guys.

Judging by what Nix has done so far, we can expect to gain one starting calibre defender per offseason (two offseasons have yielded Barnett, Dareus, and a bunch of question marks/busts). The unit will also likely be poorly coached again.

Basically, our defense is gonna be awesome.

Edited by Big Bad Boone

This team isn't that far away from being competitive - if you have a creative GM who is willing to use every resource available - draft, F.A., UDFA, and trades. We need a high draft QB, OLB - first two rounds. Another F.A. WR or two. Rounds 3 on - draft linebackers, CB's, and Tackles. You do that alone and we might not have too bad of a team to look forward to. Make a few draft trades or swaps to move up to come out of the first three rounds with a promising QB, two excellent LB's, and either a solid, exciting WR or another CB - and that would be a nice corp to add to what we have. Frankly, the Bills do well when it comes to adding value in the later rounds - LB's and CB's and Olinemen who can step in in year 2 and 3 and contribute, or even become good starters.

It doesn't have to take another 3 years. It is all about what kind of timetable you set for yourself, as a GM and Owner. Once you decide how long you are giving yourself, then you build a plan to get there. They could do it in one year, if they really wanted to put all their resources into it, and if they were very smart about it. That isn't impossible - and it bothers me that so many people think the only way to go about building a team is through a 3-5 year plan. Sure, 3 years is about what it takes to turn things around, and teams like Green Bay did took longer to do it right - which is what I think we are looking at with Nix.

I'm not saying do it in one year, because I don't think that is realistic in this situation - another team, another owner/GM, and yes. But, what frightens me with Nix is I don't know if there is a timetable. Without one, you can lose the urgency that sometimes in necessary to make things fall into place. I mean, really - with the Bills, if your rebuild is more that 3 years running, you're going to start running into the problem of resigning guys - which we don't do - and then it is a continual plugging of players we already had, which is where we always are at, or always rebuilding, however you want to look at it.

When it comes to scheme - I'd really love to see Edwards fired, in fact, if he isn't fired, I'm not going to watch anymore Bills games next year. Watching our guys play defense - or whatever the hell you call that - was painful! Their recievers weren't even being touched most of the time they made catches! On most defenses, you watch the defenders in the recievers faces, or jumping up and fighting for the ball. SanDiego's men were by themselves catching the ball most of the night! I've never seen a defense as outmatched as the one I saw yesterday. There is absolutely no excuse acceptable to keep this man on the sidelines. The longer he stays, the less credibility Gailey has, because he has to see what I'm seeing, and Football, at the NFL level, isn't about friendships or honorable relationships. It is about jobs, and performance. If the guy can't handle the job, you've got to let him go.

Now, when it comes to what defense we'll be playing next year: I want to see a coordinator come in here and be creative. There are 11 players our there. There has to be a ton of ways to use guys to get the job done! Whoever they bring in here, I pray he makes it simple and that he demands some aggression from the players - I want to see Ravens type toughness! Listening to the Texans players talking about Phillip's Defense being the difference for them - they said he made it simple, and he lets them go out and play. Whatever he does, it can't be rocket science. Let's hope we get someone who can give this group a fierceness they sorely need. And, I know there will be people who say we don't have enough talent - well, we can get enough, in the next offseason, for a legitimate Coordinator to run a top 12 defense. It is scheme and heart more than anything, and we lack both right now.

A lot of fans and writers say the team quit on Sunday. Especially the defense.

When I watch, I see defenders who are sick and tired of being out of position. Sick and tired of being overmatched. Sick and tired of not being put in the best position to make a play. Obviously Edwards needs to go.

But again, there is no CORE to this team. Get me some serious, grown-ass man, kick-ass linebackers, and then watch the whole defense improve. Stop drafting me 1 guy here, and another over there, and a project to patch up this leak. Draft like a man. Build a team of men who DICTATE on Sundays, instead of just reacting to the other team.

Ask the Steelers about it.

Edited by maddenboy

2012: Build a dominant Linebacker corps. Just focus on one unit at a time. We're running a 3-4. Lets draft 5 linebackers next year. I am serious about that.

2013: Build a dominant offensive line by drafting LT and RT first and second. Our interior line is already okay.

During this time, we will have drafted some okay players in the later rounds that will have stepped up (CB, DE, RB). Now,

2015: Draft a couple "need" players, now that you actually know what you "need" to make a deep run in the playoffs. Right now, we draft what we "need" to have a shot at .500 football.

Listen. 2015 is coming. One day, we will wake up and it will be 2015. When it comes, we can either have some dominant units, or we can be rebuilding again. Stop drafting a guy here, and a guy there. Have a clear vision and plan to Dominate and Dictate.

Shep and Barnett are just fine. Draft olb and de early and often. then get a stud wr and lt.

Exactly. The three four move we instituted has never been fully staffed and didn't work with our personnel. Williams and Dareus should be on the field at once, and we need another defensive end. If we end up low enough the draft we should draft Tyrann Mathieu in round one and a defensive end in round two.

While I don't like the idea of just fixing one position in one draft, here you go, drafting 5 LB's:

1-Whitney Mercilus OLB34 Illinois - Better stats, motor, and motivation than Upshaw

2-Devon Still DE34 Penn State -would have been Manti T'eo, but said he's going back to school yesterday

3-Lavonte David OLB43 Nebraska - He could play 3-4 as well as kill it in a 4-3

4-Devin Taylor OLB34 South Carolina - Can also play DE

4-Kellen Moore QB Boise State - Accurate and savvy, a student of the game

5-Jarius Wright WR Arkansas - Speedy receiver to stretch the field

6-Jonathan Massaquoi OLB34 Troy

7-D'Angelo McCray DT34 Memphis

I don't think football, or life for that matter, moves that linearly.

It's like having Popeye biceps (linebackers) and Olive Oyl legs (rest of team). A linebacker is a No. 1 priority for sure. But we have other holes, too.

By 2016 playoffs, with the MaddenBoy Strategy in place, the slew of stud linebackers we drafted in 2012 will be approaching the downside of their short careers and the stud skill players we drafted in 2014 will not be fully developed. Then, it will be time...to rebuild again. Yah.

I don't think football, or life for that matter, moves that linearly.

It's like having Popeye biceps (linebackers) and Olive Oyl legs (rest of team). A linebacker is a No. 1 priority for sure. But we have other holes, too.

By 2016 playoffs, with the MaddenBoy Strategy in place, the slew of stud linebackers we drafted in 2012 will be approaching the downside of their short careers and the stud skill players we drafted in 2014 will not be fully developed. Then, it will be time...to rebuild again. Yah.

I also like the idea that we're going to "get a QB" in 2014, but we're good till then. Why do so many fans seem to think that QB needs to be the final piece of the puzzle? Guys, building an elite team at every position except the most important one, then trying to find a good QB to plug in -- that's not a good plan.

I also like the idea that we're going to "get a QB" in 2014, but we're good till then. Why do so many fans seem to think that QB needs to be the final piece of the puzzle? Guys, building an elite team at every position except the most important one, then trying to find a good QB to plug in -- that's not a good plan.

Maybe we can instead draft five WRs and replace our tackles and guards with them lined up a yard behind the line. Imagine the gameplanning for 9 receivers running around. We'd for sure be set at one position then.

Come to think of it, that would be a wet dream for Gailey.

Edited by JustinAtlanta

As much as I would love for this to happen, it is one of the dumbest posts I've seen since I have been on this board. One of the great draft debates has always been "need" vs "best player available". If our first 5 picks were "LBs just happening to be best players available" I would be all for it. Unfortunately the odds of that are one in a million.

SOMEBODY PLEASE EDUCATE OUR FANBASE.

Buffalo takes pride in having a knowledgeable fan base. Unfortunately, posts like these will ruin that reputaion.

Edited by BuffaloBlizzard

focusing on one side of the ball is the key.

Here's a good draft.

1. Courtney Upshaw. OLB. Alabama.

2. Chase Minifield. CB Virginia.

3. Alex Okafor OLB. Texas.

4. Dwight Jones WR. North Carolina.

4b. Matt Conrath DE. Virginia.

5. Ryan Broyles WR. Oklahoma.

6. Izaan Cross DE. Georgia Tech.

7. Dallas Thomas OT. Tennessee.

Maybe we can instead draft five WRs and replace our tackles and guards with them lined up a yard behind the line. Imagine the gameplanning for 9 receivers running around. We'd for sure be set at one position then.

Come to think of it, that would be a wet dream for Gailey.

By week 3, 8 of the 9 would be on IR!

And how exactly can we stay $20 milliion under the cap with a roster full of stud players? Have you no thought for the profitability of this business franchise?

While I don't like the idea of just fixing one position in one draft, here you go, drafting 5 LB's:

1-Whitney Mercilus OLB34 Illinois - Better stats, motor, and motivation than Upshaw

2-Devon Still DE34 Penn State -would have been Manti T'eo, but said he's going back to school yesterday

3-Lavonte David OLB43 Nebraska - He could play 3-4 as well as kill it in a 4-3

4-Devin Taylor OLB34 South Carolina - Can also play DE

4-Kellen Moore QB Boise State - Accurate and savvy, a student of the game

5-Jarius Wright WR Arkansas - Speedy receiver to stretch the field

6-Jonathan Massaquoi OLB34 Troy

7-D'Angelo McCray DT34 Memphis

Aaaaaaaah. Now THIS draft get me in the mood.

All thanks to Astrobot, who already knows this, but it cant be said enough times. You are so necessary to the intelligent discourse on this board. I dont know what we would do without your input. Most (all?) of us are waaaaay too lazy to actually look stuff up.

Thank you sir. I would be in heaven if your draft came to pass.

As much as I would love for this to happen, it is one of the dumbest posts I've seen since I have been on this board. One of the great draft debates has always been "need" vs "best player available". If our first 5 picks were "LBs just happening to be best players available" I would be all for it. Unfortunately the odds of that are one in a million.

SOMEBODY PLEASE EDUCATE OUR FANBASE.

Buffalo takes pride in having a knowledgeable fan base. Unfortunately, posts like these will ruin that reputaion.

What's wrong with "Best Linebacker available?"

You chose to switch to a 3-4, which requires many linebackers. You have about 1 or 2. You know that linebackers are what makes a 3-4 go.

So how about COMMITTING to getting some?