Col Potter is going home....

Buftex

Less an "I can't believe he's dead" passing than it is an "I can't believe he was still alive."

Really, I thought he died like 15 years ago.

+1

I grew up watching this guy on MASH...that was my parents favorite show, so I was indoctrinated early on in life :)

RIP, sir!

Less an "I can't believe he's dead" passing than it is an "I can't believe he was still alive."

Really, I thought he died like 15 years ago.

MASH is my wife and my favorite shows so we both knew he was still alive. But wondered when that old !@#$ was going to kick it. The old coot was arrested at the age of 81 for spousal battery.

Horse-Hockey!

Buffalo bagels!

Mule Muffins!

BTW my favorite episode was Morgan's first appearance. Not as Col Potter but as Major General Bartford Hamilton Steele, a deranged officer. Best scene is this one. And in case you didn't know the scene Warrent Officer Marty Williams is black.

Maj. Gen. Bartford Hamilton Steele: Just tell us what happened at the chopper pad. But First a number.

Warrent Officer Martin 'Marty' Williams: [pause, and looks at Hawkeye and Henry] Sir?

Maj. Gen. Bartford Hamilton Steele: A musical number. Why it's in your blood boy!

[singing and dancing]

Maj. Gen. Bartford Hamilton Steele: When the sun goes down, and the darkies go to town, Hey hey what do you say.

[Continues singing and dancing on out of the tent - The JAG officer looks back at Henry, and places the papers back into his file]

Edited by Chef Jim

MASH is my wife and my favorite shows so we both knew he was still alive. But wondered when that old !@#$ was going to kick it. The old coot was arrested at the age of 81 for spousal battery.

:thumbsup: You never cease amaze...take that as you will, but I mean it as a compliment!

Like most of us here, I grew up on "M*A*S*H" in it's first run, no re-runs for me... but I did watch "Dragnet" re-runs...one of the best ever was an episode where Harry Morgan invites that "wild-man bachelor" Joe Friday over to his place for a weekend, to show him what he is missing by not being "settled down and married"...of course, work spills over into their weekend of domestic bliss...I can't remember the whole story, but I think it had something to do with one of the neighbors cats disappering...of course the find the cat... "Dragnet" may have been the funniest show ever, in that it featured no comedians' but only two "straight men"...and I mean that in the show-biz way...like Laurel & Laurel, or Abbott & Abbott...somehow it just worked...and Morgan and Webb delivered some of the fastest dialouge ever.

With "M*A*S*H" I loved the show through its' entire run, but now, I find the earlier episodes, with Col Blake to be the most watchable. The humour just stands the test of time. They blended comedy and drama like few other televison shows, during their era ("All In the Family" did it well too)

The "new" ones, featuring Col Potter, BJ Honeycutt and Charles Winchester are a bit heavier handed, still very funny at times, but more often, comedy was sacrificed for poignancy. One of the things that always made the show work, no matter who was in the cast, was the terrific acting, and Morgan just seemed so real.

BTW- IIRC, when Morgan was charged with domestic violence, I thought I recalled that he was at the onset of Alzheimers...nasty disease.

Edited by Buftex

With "M*A*S*H" I loved the show through its' entire run, but now, I find the earlier episodes, with Col Blake to be the most watchable. The humour just stands the test of time. They blended comedy and drama like few other televison shows, during their era ("All In the Family" did it well too)

The "new" ones, featuring Col Potter, BJ Honeycutt and Charles Winchester are a bit heavier handed, still very funny at times, but more often, comedy was sacrificed for poignancy. One of the things that always made the show work, no matter who was in the cast, was the terrific acting, and Morgan just seemed so real.

I agree...there's still times, when I'm required to do something at work as part of some ridiculously convoluted procedure, that I respond "As soon as I get Radar a hair dryer." No one ever gets that reference.

But with the later cast, when they did "poigniant," they knocked it out of the !@#$ing park.

:thumbsup: You never cease amaze...take that as you will, but I mean it as a compliment!

Like most of us here, I grew up on "M*A*S*H" in it's first run, no re-runs for me... but I did watch "Dragnet" re-runs...one of the best ever was an episode where Harry Morgan invites that "wild-man bachelor" Joe Friday over to his place for a weekend, to show him what he is missing by not being "settled down and married"...of course, work spills over into their weekend of domestic bliss...I can't remember the whole story, but I think it had something to do with one of the neighbors cats disappering...of course the find the cat... "Dragnet" may have been the funniest show ever, in that it featured no comedians' but only two "straight men"...and I mean that in the show-biz way...like Laurel & Laurel, or Abbott & Abbott...somehow it just worked...and Morgan and Webb delivered some of the fastest dialouge ever.

BTW- IIRC, when Morgan was charged with domestic violence, I thought I recalled that he was at the onset of Alzheimers...nasty disease.

Well let me put it this way. The episodes with (money manager) Wayne Rogers are our favorites. The ones with (whiney, bitchy uber-liberal) Mike Farrell pretty much suck. :devil:

Well let me put it this way. The episodes with (money manager) Wayne Rogers are our favorites. The ones with (whiney, bitchy uber-liberal) Mike Farrell pretty much suck. :devil:

I always thought Alan Alda was the "whiney, bitchey uber-liberal" driving force behind the show in its' post-Trapper John days.

Chef..was purusing youtube for a good "Dragnet" clip, and came across this...you might get a kick out of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXsdhXuQdNQ

He was.

But I've met Farrell...he's much, much worse. He fairly oozes whining.

Yes, now that you mention it, I think I recall he, and Ed Asner (another amazing TV actor) doing a lot of demonstrating and protesting during their heyday... personally, I never had any real reaction to Farrell, I always thought he was just bland.

I always thought Alan Alda was the "whiney, bitchey uber-liberal" driving force behind the show in its' post-Trapper John days.

Oh Alda is a weenie for sure but if I heard BJ whine one more time about how much he missed "Peg and the kids" I was going to shoot the TV. Oh and he's a terrible actor.