Mom denied food stamps

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is that a factor? I'll bet she had a TV too....

That's like $80/month she's blowing on a luxury. My food budget while single was less than that. And buying a TV should disqualify a person for a certain amount of time too.

It's time that we start helping only those who need it to survive, and not those who just want to maintain a way of life. We no longer have the resources to elevate everyone's quality of life.

And the first person to mention "starving" anyone is an idiot. You can't even find a case of it in the US that doesn't involve either Abuse or mental retardation. Hungry yes, but no one in America that isn't handicapped is starving.

Edited by unbillievable

That's like $80/month she's blowing on a luxury. My food budget while single was less than that. And buying a TV should disqualify a person for a certain amount of time too.

It's time that we start helping only those who need it to survive, and not those who just want to maintain a way of life. We no longer have the resources to elevate everyone's quality of life.

And the first person to mention "starving" anyone is an idiot. You can't even find a case of it in the US that doesn't involve either Abuse or mental retardation. Hungry yes, but no one in America that isn't handicapped is starving.

cell phones are basic communication, like having a hardlined phone 30 years ago. and a TV... meh, most households have 5 of them.

Way of life? Have you ever had an inside look into the loves of people on social assitance? Yikes, it is frankly sad how people live on those programs.

In a civilized society, no matter how much we try there will alwasy be that "group" of people.... always.... so we make the choice to either support them (and they tend to spend dollar for dollar received back into the economy) or encourage them to live int he streets or turn to criminal action. I have to be honest, I would rather fund housing and other basics that have people running a muck in out cities.

That being said, we should never encourage expansion of the programs, i.e. giving more money for more kids....

My wife has a cheapo-cheapo cell phone that she loads with minutes only when she needs them. Not everyone owns an iPhone.

cell phones are basic communication, like having a hardlined phone 30 years ago. and a TV... meh, most households have 5 of them.

Way of life? Have you ever had an inside look into the loves of people on social assitance? Yikes, it is frankly sad how people live on those programs.

In a civilized society, no matter how much we try there will alwasy be that "group" of people.... always.... so we make the choice to either support them (and they tend to spend dollar for dollar received back into the economy) or encourage them to live int he streets or turn to criminal action. I have to be honest, I would rather fund housing and other basics that have people running a muck in out cities.

That being said, we should never encourage expansion of the programs, i.e. giving more money for more kids....

cell phones?...still a luxury in my book. Especially if they are the smartphone variety. The paradox of a person talking on an iphone while buying candy with food stamps tends to agitate the taxpayer in me.

Way of life?....see the thread on the folks living in Seattle. I jest a bit but there are mounds of abuse in this system (and I know that's stating the obvious). It is not just those who 'need a hand.' You are correct.....Living on those programs is sad and there are many folks who have needs and who can benefit. However, living on those programs and milking it repeatedly for items other than shelter, food, basic clothing and necessities is near criminal in my mind. Especially when lifestyle choices are made with the intent to gain more 'funding.' I.e. more kids; why work now when I qualify for 99 months? etc. This is sad on a fundamental human level.

Re: the choice to 'support' them.... I say no. They can get a job. If they turn to crime then they should be punished. I'll 'support' them in a jail with only the basics required. No more country club jails....but that's a whole different issue. The problem (and the point) here is that we are not funding housing and basics as you suggested. We are supporting a lifestyle which, in many situations, has nothing to do with basic needs.

I fully agree on your fourth point.

Edited by BillsFanM.D.

There's a federal program that subsidizes a basic $10 cellphone plan for people below the poverty line. Don't get a lot of minutes, no web or text.

I have been getting up and going to work for 40 years. Own several apartments. Like Chefs wife I have a pre-paid phone and just buy minutes I need. TV? Yeah I own one[15 years old] but got rid of cable long ago. TV is now a plant holder. Buy only food on sale or in bulk. Not poor or a tightwad but understand how hard money can be to come by. But I earn mine, so maybe that's wrong.

There's a federal program that subsidizes a basic $10 cellphone plan for people below the poverty line. Don't get a lot of minutes, no web or text.

Paid for, just a different way. No text? Oh the humanity!

And there's probably an App for food stamps, which warrants the $30/month data plan.

There is on Android. I just checked.

And it's a PAID app. :wallbash:

Edit: and just did a search for iPhone apps...apparently there's several, including an official government-provided one.

Edited by DC Tom

It's ridiculous how cellphones have become a necessity in under a decade especially when no one outside of zack morris had one 15yrs ago.

You mean because the world should remain static and nothing should ever improve?

It's more ridiculous that people can't comprehend change and that every situation isn't exactly the same.

It's ridiculous how cellphones have become a necessity in under a decade especially when no one outside of zack morris had one 15yrs ago.

My uncle had one in the mid-80's, not a handheld one, the one that was mounted in the car.

As for food stamps, I don't understand why when I'm on unemployment I can't get them. Apparently unemployment in NY pays too much for a single person to be eligible. Gotta get me some mouths to feed quick.