Why Pay Fitz so early?

airtas

For a team that is usually cheap and stingy we would have probably been able to get Fitz for half the price at this rate.

Why in the world would we negotiate mid-season, I am not saying Fitz isn't worth it (which he is not) but I just don't get it.

We do nothing in Free Agency and are cheap for everything except Kelsay and Fitzpatrick's recent deals.

You go into the season not even knowing if Fitz is your starter and 6 games in you pay him 60 mill.......what Can I say, nobody circles the wagons like the.......well you get it

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We keep a player: "We overpaid. No one else wanted him. Great, lets keep this team intact. I swear I'm done with this team!"

We lose a player: "WTF is wrong with this front office? Ralph is cheap! Now we're worse than a 4-12 team! I swear I'm done with this team!"

We sign a free agent: "We overpaid. No one else wanted him. I saw him play once and I thought he sucked. I swear I'm done with this team!"

We lose out on a free agent: "WTF don't we have $39M in cap space? What are we saving it for? Friggin' Ralph is cheap! I swear I'm done with this team!"

Edit:

We re-sign a player: "We should have waited! We could have had him for half the price after the season. I swear I'm done with this team!"

We let a player hit Free Agency: "Why did we wait? Now he's going to another team. Ralph is cheap! I swear I'm done with this team!"

We keep a player: "We overpaid. No one else wanted him. Great, lets keep this team intact. I swear I'm done with this team!"

We lose a player: "WTF is wrong with this front office? Ralph is cheap! Now we're worse than a 4-12 team! I swear I'm done with this team!"

We sign a free agent: "We overpaid. No one else wanted him. I saw him play once and I thought he sucked. I swear I'm done with this team!"

We lose out on a free agent: "WTF don't we have $39M in cap space? What are we saving it for? Friggin' Ralph is cheap! I swear I'm done with this team!"

Edit:

We re-sign a player: "We should have waited! We could have had him for half the price after the season. I swear I'm done with this team!"

We let a player hit Free Agency: "Why did we wait? Now he's going to another team. Ralph is cheap! I swear I'm done with this team!"

Yes, Ralph is cheap. That is my question it goes against everything the BILLS stand for so was trying to determine the logic.

We are not paying Fitz too much. He is a top 15 quarterback right now with potential to be a top 10. Sorry, but Tom Bradys and Aaron Rodgers do not grow on trees. I firmly believe we can win a championship with Fitz at the helm. We are a young rebuilding team who lacks depth at key areas. I do not understand why some supposed Bills fans cannot understand this. We were never built to win the SuperBowl this year, get over it. Im so sick and tired of the ridiculous posts from fair weather fans who have no clue on how to build a contending football team.

I'm not happy with the scenario either, but if you look around the league you'll realize that Fitz probably would've gotten more money if he tested free agency. There are teams that are DESPERATE for the type of middling QB play we've gotten. It's sad but true. Cleveland, KC, Washington, and Seattle immediately come to mind as teams that might cut ties with their current guy and sign Fitz.

So at that point, the Bills would've had to choose between a) paying through the nose for Fitz or b) suffering a hit at the QB position.

$10 million per year for an above average QB is not ridiculous money.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

We are not paying Fitz too much. He is a top 15 quarterback right now with potential to be a top 10. Sorry, but Tom Bradys and Aaron Rodgers do not grow on trees. I firmly believe we can win a championship with Fitz at the helm. We are a young rebuilding team who lacks depth at key areas. I do not understand why some supposed Bills fans cannot understand this. We were never built to win the SuperBowl this year, get over it. Im so sick and tired of the ridiculous posts from fair weather fans who have no clue on how to build a contending football team.

Spot on bro. The season gets lost (like what was expected from the start) and our fans just jump on chan and Fitz like there was ever enough depth and talent on the team as a whole to play into the postseason. Fitz is a damn good qb for what he has done with what's around him and hes a competitor with heart which is nice to see in buffalo. At least give Fitz and Chan more of shot before writing them off completely. Fitz has good numbers especially for a qb that has little around him. Were on the right track bills fans we just need more depth, a pass rush, and receivers (besides Stevie) I feel it good things are coming in the next couple years!

Edited by DocLawless

Edit:

+1

For a team that is usually cheap and stingy we would have probably been able to get Fitz for half the price at this rate.

Why in the world would we negotiate mid-season, I am not saying Fitz isn't worth it (which he is not) but I just don't get it.

We do nothing in Free Agency and are cheap for everything except Kelsay and Fitzpatrick's recent deals.

You go into the season not even knowing if Fitz is your starter and 6 games in you pay him 60 mill.......what Can I say, nobody circles the wagons like the.......well you get it

For one thing if he didn't sign this season he could go to any other team that offered him more. Looking at all the teams desperate for stability at QB and FOs realizing that Fitz can get it done with a less then stellar O line,I'll bet he could easily find another team to pay him more then 10 million

Like someone else pointed out 10 million is rather cheap for what he does. Lets also not forget that the guy needs a freaking line, WR's and RB's all of which have been decimated by injuries.

Is it Fitz's fault that when teams go into a prevent to stop the pass the HC still calls pass plays instead of even trying to run, even when his RB is doing well.

The Bills are lucky they have Fitz, wait until he isn't playing and the bills need someone else to step up, then you will see what that O line really looks like!

Schobel...Kelsay...Fitz

Flethcer...Peters...Jackson...Johnson

Simple as black and white

I can see how that argument could be made. Ralph did open the vault for Dockery and Langston Walker when Marv was G.M. though.

I wonder if the players see it your way. I imagine they would have to consider it.

Who was going to be the starter other than Fitz coming into this season?

He has seemingly recovered from 3 very poor performances vs Jets, Cowboys & Dolphins and is going to be the starter going into next season. He's making very average starting NFL QB money. If you waited to resign him, and he continued on his pace, there was a risk of losing him and then there's threads about how Ralph is cheap and won't retain any of his good players.

Edited by Carey Bender

I believe that they felt they had a short term answer at QB and with the way the team was playing got sucked into all the Amish Rifle hype. I am not saying signing him long term was wrong but maybe that got a little caught up in the hype and escalation of the pay. Fitz may be lacking deep ball threat due to rib or other injuries but also is really lacking deep threat speed. I like the focus they have made on rebuilding the lines but still concerned they are misfiring on picks on D side of ball but hard to tell when your playing a 3 - 4 and with the players ya have probably should be a 4 - 3.

Plain and simple the Bills gambled on Fitz. When we were on the winning side of things they feared his value was going to drastically increase as the season went on. So they signed him to as low a contract as possible at that period in time. Same thing was done with Dick Jauron.

Who was going to be the starter other than Fitz coming into this season?

He has seemingly recovered from 3 very poor performances vs Jets, Cowboys & Dolphins and is going to be the starter going into next season. He's making very average starting NFL QB money. If you waited to resign him, and he continued on his pace, there was a risk of losing him and then there's threads about how Ralph is cheap and won't retain any of his good players.

I like Fitz and I agree he has crap around him. Was just trying to determine the rationale as mid season extensions are rare in the NFL.

I'm not happy with the scenario either, but if you look around the league you'll realize that Fitz probably would've gotten more money if he tested free agency. There are teams that are DESPERATE for the type of middling QB play we've gotten. It's sad but true. Cleveland, KC, Washington, and Seattle immediately come to mind as teams that might cut ties with their current guy and sign Fitz.

So at that point, the Bills would've had to choose between a) paying through the nose for Fitz or b) suffering a hit at the QB position.

$10 million per year for an above average QB is not ridiculous money.

If the Bills lose out, is this still true?

If the Bills lose out, is this still true?

I think so. Look at Kevin Kolb...

2010 season: 7 games, 7 TD, 7 INT, 60.9 completion %, 6.3 YPA

The result: Arizona traded their most promising DB and a 2nd round pick AND extended Kolb's contract by 5 years, $63 million.

For whatever reason, there's a major dearth of QB talent around the league. Fitz would get paid the big bucks.

I think so. Look at Kevin Kolb...

2010 season: 7 games, 7 TD, 7 INT, 60.9 completion %, 6.3 YPA

The result: Arizona traded their most promising DB and a 2nd round pick AND extended Kolb's contract by 5 years, $63 million.

For whatever reason, there's a major dearth of QB talent around the league. Fitz would get paid the big bucks.

Bingo!!! We got Fitz for a "cheap" rate amoung the top 10-20 QBs in the league. He is the 2nd best QB in the AFC East. He is good not great but has really done very well given the collection of guys on that offense! Look at the starting offense and tell me it is loaded with talent....it is not. He has done well and received the going rate for QBs in the league.