Chan talking himself out of a job?

Paulfw

i like chan and i dont mind him taking some blame for not having the players better prepared but at some point he has to start holding the players accountable too

chan isnt dropping passes at a consistent and alarming rate at critical moments

chan isnt committing holding penalties every other time spiller breaks off a nice run

chan isnt missing tackles and letting guys reach over his head to catch balls right in front of his face

i think hes just about reached his limit for taking cover for some of these guys. im gonna guess hes going to call somebody out here pretty shortly and shift the emphasis from him back to the players where much of it belongs. if he doesnt do it soon i think his long term future here is gonna get shakey. nice guy coaches who never call out their players when they deserve it almost always fail

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this team were 5-7 with a win sprinkled in with the losses and they weren't getting blown out and seeing marks of improvement, this wouldn't even be a discussion. But because this team started 5-2 and have lost the last consecutive 5 games, and going 1-6 over the last 7 games, it is disconcerting to say the least. Yes, this team has experienced a significant amount of injuries, but this team has been losing games even before the Injury Bug really hit...at some point Gailey has to be called to bear the weight of the collapse of this team since being 4-1....I like Gailey, and believe he's done a lot with a little, but somewhere some accountability has to be laid at his feet when this team started out so promising and they beat some good teams only to find themselves essentially elminated from the playoffs two weeks ago after the loss to the Jets....Miami was horrid, and lost their "Franchise Quarterback" to season ending injury, struggled with their new RB who was to take over for Ronnie Brown, and a struggling Defense but has been coached back into being a "good" team and very well "should" have won last week's game against the Cowboys. Miami's turn around is an example of a coach regaining control of a ship gone shipwreck and re-positioning the team in the direction of positive advancement. Miami most likely will not make the playoffs, but they have pulled themselves from obscurity and back into a place of being competitive.....again, for me - it's not the overall record that puts Gailey in a tenuous position, it is the MANNER in which this record has come to be, namely the utter collapse of both the Offense and the consitently poor play of the Defense....my two cents....worth less than that maybe

yeah, only 1 cent.

I think this is a legitimate question. It seems as though for the last three or four press conferences, Chan has been blaming himself for the losses. Telling us that it's his job to get the players ready and he's not getting the job done. Is he saying that to:

A) Give the office an excuse to fire him?

B) Protect his players (and coaches) from getting critized by the media about their lack of skill?

C) Covering for his boss, Buddy and some poor draft choices?

I know (and appreciate) he's a square shooter and I really want do like him, but if he continues not to like himself--why should I bother?

No he is doing what a head coach and a leader does, take the blame. He is going to be the coach for the Bills for the next 3 to 5 years at least so get use to him. I still like him and think he is doing a comendable job for what he got handed. I see improvements dispite our record. Our interior O-line is great and suprisingly has some depth, but our tackles are still a need. I do think Hariston will be starting at RT next year and if Bell can stay healthy he will be formidable, but I also think we need to draft a LT somewhere in this draft or sign one in free agency.

Unless he can magically get this team to the playoffs next year, fire his ass, and Nix, and everyone else to do with coaching/signing/scouting players.

And then, after Ralph and cronies are done firing those guys, they need to fire themselves.

This whole team is disappointing, every freaking year.

Whatever the bills have done since the beginning of the century has not translated into winning enough games to advance to the playoffs. No one I have heard ever said it is easy being a bills fan. It is what it is.

No he is doing what a head coach and a leader does, take the blame. He is going to be the coach for the Bills for the next 3 to 5 years at least so get use to him. I still like him and think he is doing a comendable job for what he got handed. I see improvements dispite our record. Our interior O-line is great and suprisingly has some depth, but our tackles are still a need. I do think Hariston will be starting at RT next year and if Bell can stay healthy he will be formidable, but I also think we need to draft a LT somewhere in this draft or sign one in free agency.

He's doing what Wade Philips was forced to do after the Music City Miracle: take the bullet for ownership. Wash, rinse, repeat.

yeah, only 1 cent.

Your opinion and I respect that...however, on this board there is certainly multiple juvenile and selfish responses....and while you may not agree with what I said, dislike my post, or simply feel that you can do better - it was at least an attempt at prompting further intelligent discussion. So, thank you for clarifying your assessment of my opinion however, maybe next time you can do more to add to it instead of leaving a simple denigrating comment and running for the door....thank you for your honesty.

The Coach HAS to take ownership of a teams play every nfl game. thats all there is to that. If a guy drops two passes in a row because of a lack of fundamentals it is still coaches fault. I'm serious about this. we are a soft team. Chan has mentioned an "edge " he said "Chippy" once. not sure he meant it.

He might consider a new more aggressive attitude that demands results. Such as "Theodis, i do not want you even play the ball. Just take the guy out when he stretches for it. Yes i'm f'n serious! you kinda suck and even though you will get fined iwill let you play next week if you do this thing for me. You want to play nickel position, right? We ok on this? Leodis?" Or "Dwan, Dave W.said remove Nick's helmet on this play and throw it at that little SOB Sanchez' knee and i will take you to red lobster again"

Gailey cannot blame anyone but himself because he and Buddy Nix are men who do not believe in excuses. Who among us doesn't know how that goes - you're at work, and something under your "responsibility" goes wrong, or unaccounted for, and although it isn't your fault, perhaps you couldn't have avoided it, you still must take responsibility for it.

I can't believe all this talk about running Gailey out of town replacing Nix, etc. Things have gone a bit too far, here. For one, Nix and Gailey said when they got here they knew this would take some time - like 3, 4 years even, to totally turn around. They didn't say they thought they could turn it around in two seasons. So, this poor finish is hard to take only because they looked so good the first half of the season.

As for Nix and his job, as well as Whaley's - when this team is healthy it is competitive. We lost a lot of guys - and they weren't peripheral players, they were very crucial players - LT, C, NT, OLB - perhaps 4 of the 5 most important positions on a football team!

Yes, we don't have depth. Yes, our starting QB is questionable at times. Sure, the decision to keep CJ on the sideline for most of the second half of this past game was puzzling - but, as far as I'm concerned, until we have a team with some star players who can play with the best, I'm going to be happier with less wins so long as we're not in the playoffs. Until we have some real talent, I'd be more furious over meaningless victories that only go to push us out of position for the best draft picks (Jauron years).

We need a new D-Coordinator. We'll probably get one. We need depth. We'll get some more this offseason. We need upgrades at OLB, WR, CB, TE, and RT, and solid players to help with depth. I think we'll find at least three of those players we need in next year's draft, as well as maybe a future Franchise QB. I also think they will be a little more active in F.A., if only because they really do have next year to show a big improvement before serious talk of their job security starts in.

If fans want to be upset with anything about the Bills - they should be unified with their disgust and frustration with Ralph Wilson. He is the constant that has put a football team on the field all these years with less talent, less organization, less continuity, less direction than a pro team needs to be successful. If people are angry that the Bills don't have depth - look at the 30 some million dollars Ralph Wilson saved by not signing depth F.A.'s this offseason. He's asking his coaches to do more with a lot less - and he has the audacity to speak as though the Fans are the dilusional ones for expecting to be able to see the team play despite the stadium not selling out. He expects Full support for Half -ssed commitment.

Think about it - that is why none of the "Better" coaches wanted this job. They don't want to finish every season with a losing record becuase they weren't given the tools and support they need to be successful. Yet, Gailey fails here these past weeks - when we and everyone around the Nation agreed he was working miracles with a bunch of cast-offs earlier this year - and now he's losing it! What a joke. He isn't the problem.

Edited by sllib olaffub

49ers look ok with their new coaching staff...

It all comes down to who is evaluating the talent, the 49ers have drafted smart thru several head coaching changes and already had the talent in place for Harbaugh to be successful.OTOH, look at the Browns and Bills and both have had bad evaluators for decades on both clubs. The Browns passed on big Ben... but the Bills have made some equally boneheaded moves for decades.

This has even hit the Patriots, now that they lost both Thomas Dimitroff and Scott Pioli, Bill Belichick now just trades back to get more picks because he hasn't been very good at finding top players without those two men.

I look at Buddy Nix and his first draft stinks, his second was better, but he still failed to find adequate depth on that line. Now we wait to see what he does in his 3rd draft and free agency. If he continues to fail to find a top pass rusher, top LT and allows Gailey to keep the same bad defensive coordinator. then this entire regime could be gone after 2012.

If I'm the owner of the Buffalo Bills I'd take a long look at the Packers scouting dept and find out who is their best talent evaluator and hire him, as they clearly have the deepest talent pool in the league. Then I'd think about hiring the Packers OC to replace Chan Gailey, along with a top DC...instead of men that have no previous coordinator experience.

Gailey cannot blame anyone but himself because he and Buddy Nix are men who do not believe in excuses. Who among us doesn't know how that goes - you're at work, and something under your "responsibility" goes wrong, or unaccounted for, and although it isn't your fault, perhaps you couldn't have avoided it, you still must take responsibility for it.

I can't believe all this talk about running Gailey out of town replacing Nix, etc. Things have gone a bit too far, here. For one, Nix and Gailey said when they got here they knew this would take some time - like 3, 4 years even, to totally turn around. They didn't say they thought they could turn it around in two seasons. So, this poor finish is hard to take only because they looked so good the first half of the season.

As for Nix and his job, as well as Whaley's - when this team is healthy it is competitive. We lost a lot of guys - and they weren't peripheral players, they were very crucial players - LT, C, NT, OLB - perhaps 4 of the 5 most important positions on a football team!

Yes, we don't have depth. Yes, our starting QB is questionable at times. Sure, the decision to keep CJ on the sideline for most of the second half of this past game was puzzling - but, as far as I'm concerned, until we have a team with some star players who can play with the best, I'm going to be happier with less wins so long as we're not in the playoffs. Until we have some real talent, I'd be more furious over meaningless victories that only go to push us out of position for the best draft picks (Jauron years).

We need a new D-Coordinator. We'll probably get one. We need depth. We'll get some more this offseason. We need upgrades at OLB, WR, CB, TE, and RT, and solid players to help with depth. I think we'll find at least three of those players we need in next year's draft, as well as maybe a future Franchise QB. I also think they will be a little more active in F.A., if only because they really do have next year to show a big improvement before serious talk of their job security starts in.

If fans want to be upset with anything about the Bills - they should be unified with their disgust and frustration with Ralph Wilson. He is the constant that has put a football team on the field all these years with less talent, less organization, less continuity, less direction than a pro team needs to be successful. If people are angry that the Bills don't have depth - look at the 30 some million dollars Ralph Wilson saved by not signing depth F.A.'s this offseason. He's asking his coaches to do more with a lot less - and he has the audacity to speak as though the Fans are the dilusional ones for expecting to be able to see the team play despite the stadium not selling out. He expects Full support for Half -ssed commitment.

Think about it - that is why none of the "Better" coaches wanted this job. They don't want to finish every season with a losing record becuase they weren't given the tools and support they need to be successful. Yet, Gailey fails here these past weeks - when we and everyone around the Nation agreed he was working miracles with a bunch of cast-offs earlier this year - and now he's losing it! What a joke. He isn't the problem.

No they didn't! In fact, one of Buddy Nix's first statements was " your not going to believe this, but this team is not that far away" Then the team went 0-8 and he changed his tune to "its going to take some time" He must have looked over the roster and thought he had enough talent to win, he was right because the moron Dick Jauron managed a 7-9 season from these same players!

Most of the talent was there, all he needed to do was find some key pieces and hire the right coaches. He failed in his first draft to rebuild that O line. Instead he brought in an unbelievably bad RT from the Raiders in Cornell Green . Chan Gailey chose to hire a bunch of men who working under him in the college ranks and had no previous NFL experience, big mistake. Plus his second mistake was trying to switch to a 3-4 and hiring the Dolphins LB coach to run it. Chan Gailey spent his off season grooming the wrong QB, he didn't even know what he had in Fred Jackson or Ryan Fitzpatrick or he never would have drafted Spiller or wasted an off season on Trent Edwards.

Considering the experience of both these men they shouldn't be making the mistakes you would expect to see from a rookie GM or HC. You know what you are going to have at the end of this 5 year plan.... a new coaching staff and GM.

Edited by Fear the Beard

You make some very good points. That said, I do feel there are questionable coaching, game management and play calling decisions that have cost us. That is one reason I find this poor finish hard to take, independent of the team's won-loss record in the first 7 games.

If this team were 5-7 with a win sprinkled in with the losses and they weren't getting blown out and seeing marks of improvement, this wouldn't even be a discussion. But because this team started 5-2 and have lost the last consecutive 5 games, and going 1-6 over the last 7 games, it is disconcerting to say the least. Yes, this team has experienced a significant amount of injuries, but this team has been losing games even before the Injury Bug really hit...at some point Gailey has to be called to bear the weight of the collapse of this team since being 4-1....I like Gailey, and believe he's done a lot with a little, but somewhere some accountability has to be laid at his feet when this team started out so promising and they beat some good teams only to find themselves essentially elminated from the playoffs two weeks ago after the loss to the Jets....Miami was horrid, and lost their "Franchise Quarterback" to season ending injury, struggled with their new RB who was to take over for Ronnie Brown, and a struggling Defense but has been coached back into being a "good" team and very well "should" have won last week's game against the Cowboys. Miami's turn around is an example of a coach regaining control of a ship gone shipwreck and re-positioning the team in the direction of positive advancement. Miami most likely will not make the playoffs, but they have pulled themselves from obscurity and back into a place of being competitive.....again, for me - it's not the overall record that puts Gailey in a tenuous position, it is the MANNER in which this record has come to be, namely the utter collapse of both the Offense and the consitently poor play of the Defense....my two cents....worth less than that maybe

This is not a minor injury bug...this team had one pro-bowler last year, and three players who made the two mid-season all-pro lists I saw. One of them was getting significant buzz as MVP. ALL FOUR OF THEM have been out for at least a month (and only Wilson might come back). They have also lost their two top Left Tackles for most of the season (and had another potential pro bowl lineman playing out of position for weeks). Their top WR has been playing through injury. Their second WR (granted, he's not been that great while playing) is on IR. They lost Kelsey for a good part of the season (granted people have not thought much of him, but even kelsey haters were admitting he was having a good season). They lost a starting CB most of the season. Hell, they even lost their kicker! Young and rebuilding teams can win and go to the playoffs -- maybe this team would have gone 12-4 with a normal amt of injuries; maybe they would have collapsed to not much better than they have in this frustrating stretch. However, expecting a young, rebuilding team to overcome injuries of this magnitude is kind of ridiculous, patently unfair, and defies logic. And they weren't exactly blown out the last two weeks.

Yes, maybe "good" teams overcome injuries, but they are not that team...yet. That doesn't mean they aren't improving...and it doesn't hurt for next year to have Spiller, Aaron Williams, Sheppard, Hairston, and Searcy (who looks to have the making of a tremendous tackler once he gets his sea legs -- his tackle on the titans final drive gave the bills a chance last week).

And did anyone REALLY think Henne was a "franchise quarterback" at this point in his career?

Edited by thurst44

It all comes down to who is evaluating the talent, the 49ers have drafted smart thru several head coaching changes and already had the talent in place for Harbaugh to be successful.OTOH, look at the Browns and Bills and both have had bad evaluators for decades on both clubs. The Browns passed on big Ben... but the Bills have made some equally boneheaded moves for decades.

This has even hit the Patriots, now that they lost both Thomas Dimitroff and Scott Pioli, Bill Belichick now just trades back to get more picks because he hasn't been very good at finding top players without those two men.

I look at Buddy Nix and his first draft stinks, his second was better, but he still failed to find adequate depth on that line. Now we wait to see what he does in his 3rd draft and free agency. If he continues to fail to find a top pass rusher, top LT and allows Gailey to keep the same bad defensive coordinator. then this entire regime could be gone after 2012.

If I'm the owner of the Buffalo Bills I'd take a long look at the Packers scouting dept and find out who is their best talent evaluator and hire him, as they clearly have the deepest talent pool in the league. Then I'd think about hiring the Packers OC to replace Chan Gailey, along with a top DC...instead of men that have no previous coordinator experience.

I would be very proud of the organization if it could headhunt some proven coaches, especially Kevin Greene from Green Bay

No they didn't! In fact, one of Buddy Nix's first statements was " your not going to believe this, but this team is not that far away" Then the team went 0-8 and he changed his tune to "its going to take some time" He must have looked over the roster and thought he had enough talent to win, he was right because the moron Dick Jauron managed a 7-9 season from these same players!

Most of the talent was there, all he needed to do was find some key pieces and hire the right coaches. He failed in his first draft to rebuild that O line. Instead he brought in an unbelievably bad RT from the Raiders in Cornell Green . Chan Gailey chose to hire a bunch of men who working under him in the college ranks and had no previous NFL experience, big mistake. Plus his second mistake was trying to switch to a 3-4 and hiring the Dolphins LB coach to run it. Chan Gailey spent his off season grooming the wrong QB, he didn't even know what he had in Fred Jackson or Ryan Fitzpatrick or he never would have drafted Spiller or wasted an off season on Trent Edwards.

Considering the experience of both these men they shouldn't be making the mistakes you would expect to see from a rookie GM or HC. You know what you are going to have at the end of this 5 year plan.... a new coaching staff and GM.

You know - I have to agree with your point about Gailey and Nix both being very suspicious as talent evaluators on their own team. One of the questionable things about Gailey has been his seeming inability to know who has the ability to play good, and who stinks, until they've played half a season. Now, we could point to Tom Brady sitting for a while and say every team makes those mistakes - but, I do think Gailey has a weakness in that regard. Of course, who is to say that some of the success of some of the players, like Fitz, isn't due to Gailey's system, in which case you could say the talent wasn't the driving force behind the success. Bottom line, though - I wasn't saying Gailey and Nix are great at their positions. I was saying a lot of great coaches might not succeed here under the same circumstances. I'd prefer Cowher over Gailey, sure, and a lot of other coaches. But, we can't get there until we fix the first, most fundamental problem - ownership.

The Coach HAS to take ownership of a teams play every nfl game. thats all there is to that. If a guy drops two passes in a row because of a lack of fundamentals it is still coaches fault. I'm serious about this. we are a soft team. Chan has mentioned an "edge " he said "Chippy" once. not sure he meant it.

He might consider a new more aggressive attitude that demands results. Such as "Theodis, i do not want you even play the ball. Just take the guy out when he stretches for it. Yes i'm f'n serious! you kinda suck and even though you will get fined iwill let you play next week if you do this thing for me. You want to play nickel position, right? We ok on this? Leodis?" Or "Dwan, Dave W.said remove Nick's helmet on this play and throw it at that little SOB Sanchez' knee and i will take you to red lobster again"

LOL I have to say i kinda agree with this! +1!

Fixed for you!

Yep. Thanks. Thats clearly what I meant.

So you mean to tell me that if we improve to .500 next year and are finally on the up-take that you would fire Gailey and try again? I think not. 6-10 gets him fired. So does 7-9. 8-8 or better next year is an improvement and worth keeping him around for another season.