NFL Stadiums - Do they need to be drastically downsized?

SDS

These 70,80,90/100k seat stadiums are a tribute to days gone by. With more and more people enjoying the game from home. Ticket prices becoming out of control, maybe new stadiums should be 25-35k high-priced seats? These would be cheaper to make, they would guarantee your sell-outs and maximize TV viewing...

Do we really need stadiums the size of what we currently have?

These 70,80,90/100k seat stadiums are a tribute to days gone by. With more and more people enjoying the game from home. Ticket prices becoming out of control, maybe new stadiums should be 25-35k high-priced seats? These would be cheaper to make, they would guarantee your sell-outs and maximize TV viewing...

It is normally only the teams that put poor quality on the field that have poor quality in ticket sales, and only some of them do. Why would they reduce it? They don't lose money by those seats being empty, but if they win they sell those extra tickets. It is all about money, only way they reduce seats is to have more room for luxury boxes that make them even more money.

Chicago is what...the 2nd or 3rd largest city in the USA and their stadium holds like 60K at most. That's the perfect size. I see all the Bills games where i live but i think its ridiculous that JAX gets to tarp over their seats and BUF has to sell every single seat.

Chicago is what...the 2nd or 3rd largest city in the USA and their stadium holds like 60K at most. That's the perfect size. I see all the Bills games where i live but i think its ridiculous that JAX gets to tarp over their seats and BUF has to sell every single seat.

That is what comes with the territory when you have the leagues greediest owner.

No, we don't. Check out English football. Sure, there are a few teams with huge stadiums, but most, no. And their fans are every bit as passionate as ours.

Great point. And Jax has had to tarp over those seats even in successful years. And the Bills have had trouble selling out December games even in successful years.

Bills could do the same thing but they choose not to.

See I think it should be different for every venue. At Lambeau, we have just about 73,000 seats. We are actually starting an expansion in the offseason to add an additional 6,600 seats because of the demand. 60,000 is just fine for some areas. It is enough that the crowd is a factor, yet makes it so that there aren't bad seats in the stadium.

Places like Jacksonville shouldn't have football teams if they can't support them, and they won't for long.

That is what comes with the territory when you have the leagues greediest owner.

Your schtick is so tired. Yeah, Ralph is really getting loaded by keeping the team in the economically rich WNY area and charging ticket prices than are less than half of the other teams' in the division.

And I always attend the opener and there is nothing like tailgating. But I really don't care how good the Bills are. It is more enjoyable to watch the game at home, a friend's house, or a bar. Cheaper drinks and food at your fingertips; no 30 min wait for the pisser; and you don't have to take 2 hours to get home. IMO, hockey is the only sport that is a much better in person than TV.

I think rather than shrinking stadium capacity, they ought to change the model for single game ticket sales. It could work somewhat like e-bay, where you could buy them outright for the listed price with a deadline to do so; let's say for argument's sake the deadline is three weeks before the game. At that point, it becomes like an e-bay auction, which would end, let's say, 6 days before the game. Then, the process could start again, with another cutoff on the thursday before the game. They could reserve their right to the blackout, but it would be changed so that it would be based on if they can recoup through the auctions 90% of the listed value of the tickets that remained on that starting date of three weeks before the game. The good thing about this plan would be more full stadiums; the teams might like it because of the possibility that high demand might drive prices above the figure printed on them. I am sure if anything like this happened, they'd figure out a way to make more money with handling charges and probably a nominal fee for entering the auction. Er, being that this is the NFL, nominal might have been the wrong word to use. But I think the point is the same.

I read about some lawsuit being brought up that if the stadium is being supported by tax dollars then the NFL shouldnt be allowed to black out tickets. I hope there is some legal grounds to back that claim bc it would be awesome to see the blackouts go bye bye (or the city/state funded stadiums, either one)