Which Franchise is in worse position than Buffalo right now?

Why question this....Its the same ones over and over again.

Cincinati, Buffalo, Cleveland, Oakland, Arizona, Detroit.

Florida Marlins, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh Pirates, Chicago Cubs, etc...

Washington Wizards, Milwaukee Bucks, Toronto Raptors, charlotte bobcats, etc..

Phoenix Coyotes, NY Islanders, LA Kings, Columbus Blue jackets, etc...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington- A complete mess

Eagles - see above

Minnesota - In need of new staduim, no offensive line, still playing the useless tampa two, weak recievers

Rams- anytime you change coaches you take a big step back, plus they have very little talent and again could move at any minute

Arizona - Wasted a year and resources on Kolb, weak offensive line, poor defense

Seattle- NO QB, AT LEST A year behind the bills in the rebuild

Cleveland,jacksonsville,kc

in additon this is a list of teams that the Bills have a brighter future then

Jets

oakland

tenn

miami

bears

The only one I can come up with off the top of my head is Washington and maybe Miami. No QB, still missing alot of pieces offensively and defensively, disfunctional owner, overrated head coach that they are financially tied too... they are perhaps worse than the Bills IMO right now.

Its funny to think about it but the team that will have the #1 pick will have Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck at QB. They will have a franchise QB either way and can trade one away to build a dynasty around in one or 2 drafts...lol...that must really suck :thumbdown:

I don't think the Redskins will ever be in a worse shape then the Bills, as long as they have an owner who is willing to spend. He just needs to leave it up to football people, they are going to get a QB in the draft his year-good chance it is USC's QB, Barkeley.

Miami is playing so much better then the Bills now, and Moore is playing better then Fitz-hands down.

I would say maybe the Jaguars are in worse shape, but with a new owner, he might have more of a desire to build a winner then the previous owners, and he did say he is keeping them in Jacksonville.

I would have thought going into this season that Denver was in bad shape, the previous coaching regime trashed that organization, but they seem to be headed in the right direction again under Tebow.

The lines have been the only competition for the Bills as far as the leagues most embarassing organization, but now, even though the past few weeks haven't went well, they are so far ahead of us in talent, they don't compare with us now.

Bottom line, not sure anyone is worse off then we are, and have been for over a decade.

Edited by billsfreak

if making it is 37.5%, that means missing it is 62.5%

therefore you have a 39% chance to miss two years in a row, 24% chance to miss 3 years in a row, etc..

to miss 12 years in a row? 0.355%...that's roughly one third of one percent

obviously that's too simplistic of a way to look at it as there are too many factors to say everyone has an equal chance at making it, but it is a sobering stat nonetheless

From a statistical view each season is an independent event so your chances of making the playoffs in year 1 would not impact your chances of making or not making the playoffs in years 2, etc. But after 12 years of falling into the 37.5% population of teams not making the playoffs it indicates one or more serious issues with some variable (or variables) impacting the outcome. Fundamentally you are doing something wrong and fail to correctly address the problem. Its as they say the defintion of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

What the 12 year drought points to is a lack of ability or desire to address the fundamental problems involved with missing the playoffs for 12 seasons.

You didn't define what you mean by "worst position". If you mean what franchise is likely to move in the near future you're talking Chargers, Raiders, Vikings, Jags and Bills. LA's going to get a team and they aren't going to wait until Ralph Wilson passes away to get one, so I think San Diego and Oakland are further out on the tree limb than we are. If Ralph passes away in the next year all bets are off.

If you're talking about which franchise,among all the currenty crummy franchises, is furthest away from a Super Bowl appearance, you either need to look stability/quality of the front office or presence of a franchise QB. In regard to the latter, I'd take Carolina, Detroit, Indianapolis (either Manning and/or Luck), maybe Philadelphia off the list. If you don't have either, does it make any difference where you rank among crummy teams?

If it's a combination of both, I'd put the Bills behind both the Chargers (assuming Rivers' year is an aberation) and the Raiders but equal to the Vikings and Jags.

Does that make us franchise in worst position? Not necessarily but it puts us in the running.

I thought they were going to suck this year. Despite this losing skid, they are much better than my expectations. However, even while we were winning this was not a playoff caliber defense. If we snagged a wild card it would have been followed by a blow out. This year sets up next year because it has isolated where we need to improve so clearly -- and it's the usual suspects. The offense is working, will get better, but the lack of pass rush and run defense are the killers, as was the loss of Kyle Williams. If we can actually draft well and maybe lure the right free agents here, this is a playoff team next season. BIG if's, since we have failed to get either of those issues together for a long time, but I have a shred of hope left.

It's all the timing of the losses. If the Bills started 0-5 and went 5-2, people would feel a lot better about things. People need to step away from the ledge. We have a top 15 QB, 2 rbs that can start, a good receiving core that could use more speed, and an oline that played better than expected. We just to get a defense that is playoff caliber and a new DC.

I don't think the Redskins will ever be in a worse shape then the Bills, as long as they have an owner who is willing to spend. He just needs to leave it up to football people, they are going to get a QB in the draft his year-good chance it is USC's QB, Barkeley.

Miami is playing so much better then the Bills now, and Moore is playing better then Fitz-hands down.

I would say maybe the Jaguars are in worse shape, but with a new owner, he might have more of a desire to build a winner then the previous owners, and he did say he is keeping them in Jacksonville.

I would have thought going into this season that Denver was in bad shape, the previous coaching regime trashed that organization, but they seem to be headed in the right direction again under Tebow.

The lines have been the only competition for the Bills as far as the leagues most embarassing organization, but now, even though the past few weeks haven't went well, they are so far ahead of us in talent, they don't compare with us now.

Bottom line, not sure anyone is worse off then we are, and have been for over a decade.

I don't normally agree with you and your ever present "Ralph is chea/evil complaints", but there are some good points here

The Redskins having an owner willing to spend whatever necessary helps make building a winning team quicker possible, but it hasn't worked for them yet. He brought in a football person in Shanahan whos had control of personel and yet they still look lost and are usually depleated of picks. There rebuilds might be quick, but they won't last long if its done only through FA (Eagles also have shown you can spend all you want but it doesn't always buy you a winner)

Miami is currently playing better then the Bills now, but the Qb position is still questionable for them, and they have a HC thats already been pushed into the doorway with about one foot out the door.

The Jags have no QB and a bunch of holes, and theres no proof the new owner is gonna have the money to dump into the team to turn them around unless attendance starts changing.

The Broncos also look good now, but no one believes that Tebow and the winning can last, even though every week, all he has been doing is winning

The Lions are in a free fall just like the Bills right now, even though they are still being looked at as a good team. They started out competing with the Packers and a probable lock for the playoffs, but with a couple more losses, they will continue with Buffalo "waiting til next year". Its not a sure thing that Stafford is a guy that will take them to the playoffs as a #1 Qb, he tends to get banged up alot and be injured

i'd say cleveland, minnesota, jacksonville and washington are in worse position than buffalo right now.

i'd say st louis, miami, tampa, seattle, arizona and kc are as equally in bad position as buffalo.....you can throw indy in here if peyton is forced to retire.

i mostly base this on the nucleus of the handful of good young players and the amount of salary cap the bills have available to improve the team going forward.

None! Look at the Lions, two years ago they didn't win one game. They're a perrenial loser. Yet they most likely will be in the NFC playoffs this year. Arizona even figured out a way to win the NFC in 2009. Something needs to be done. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH RALPH, YOU INCOMPETENT CHEAP OLD BASTARD!!!

It's all the timing of the losses. If the Bills started 0-5 and went 5-2, people would feel a lot better about things. People need to step away from the ledge. We have a top 15 QB, 2 rbs that can start, a good receiving core that could use more speed, and an oline that played better than expected. We just to get a defense that is playoff caliber and a new DC.

That's true. Of course, there is a different feeling between making slow positive progress and having the trapdoor spring open underneath you.

The Jets must be in terrible shape as well as Tennessee as they both barely squeaked by our horrendous team. And then the Pats, Raiders, Phila, KC and Washington must be in even worse shape since they lost to us and we are so bad.

It's the NFL and there really is not that much that separates about 28 teams. The Bills are a pass rush and a very good 2nd WR from being a much much improved team. They've shown that. They have played poorly of late but are not that far off....if they are so bad what is the excuse for the Jets and the Titans, Giants and Cinci that could barely beat the Bills?

That's true. Of course, there is a different feeling between making slow positive progress and having the trapdoor spring open underneath you.

Yeah, it's hard to see the positives with a 5 game losing streak. But we definitely overachieve to open the season and that raise expectations. And injuries aren't an excuse but when your margain for error is so small to big with, it's huge. And we have always had injuries, but I don't remember so many key ones.

The only one I can come up with off the top of my head is Washington and maybe Miami. No QB, still missing alot of pieces offensively and defensively, disfunctional owner, overrated head coach that they are financially tied too... they are perhaps worse than the Bills IMO right now.

Its funny to think about it but the team that will have the #1 pick will have Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck at QB. They will have a franchise QB either way and can trade one away to build a dynasty around in one or 2 drafts...lol...that must really suck :thumbdown:

I agree -- the Deadskins are in as bad a shape. They do have an owner who will spend money, but the problem there is that he's an "impulse" buyer and doesn't spend it wisely. I agree with you on overrated coach -- i would not take Shanahan over Gailey, but there are a number I would take over either one.

Detroit Pistons in the NBA.

Oakland Athletics in MLB. At least Pittsburgh and Baltimore have nice stadiums to make a buck.

In the NFL, I'd say the Colts. Ridiculously high amount of team debt with little in revenue resources like the Eagles and Redskins have. Lots of bloated, nearly immovable contracts that will prevent them from doing much of anything for a few years, especially if the salary cap continues to go up.

Detroit Pistons in the NBA.

Oakland Athletics in MLB. At least Pittsburgh and Baltimore have nice stadiums to make a buck.

In the NFL, I'd say the Colts. Ridiculously high amount of team debt with little in revenue resources like the Eagles and Redskins have. Lots of bloated, nearly immovable contracts that will prevent them from doing much of anything for a few years, especially if the salary cap continues to go up.

But the Colts have Saint Polian at the helm and Manning, plus more then likely the golden boy Andrew Luck coming in next season!

You could add the Royals into the group with Pittsburgh and Baltimore in the MLB. They alwasy seem to show some promise at the begining and then fizzle out at the end, but the stadium looks nice too, better then the dump in Oakland.

The Jets must be in terrible shape as well as Tennessee as they both barely squeaked by our horrendous team. And then the Pats, Raiders, Phila, KC and Washington must be in even worse shape since they lost to us and we are so bad.

It's the NFL and there really is not that much that separates about 28 teams. The Bills are a pass rush and a very good 2nd WR a Healthy return of key players away from being a much much improved team. They've shown that. They have played poorly of late but are not that far off....if they are so bad what is the excuse for the Jets and the Titans, Giants and Cinci that could barely beat the Bills?

Just having a healthy roster again, getting back some of the key starters would help out alot.

I would rather see an upgrade to the #1 WR position, making Stevie an upgrade at #2. Just watching WRs on other teams it makes me see Stevie as just a good #2 wr, not a #1. You see the top WR go out and give that extra effort and make spectacular catches, they catch balls that aren't perfectly thrown by the QB (and ones that are :wallbash: ) Stevie seems like he can only make the catch if the ball is thrown right to him, but even then its not a sure thing