George Edwards might be gone after all

According to Rivals "Coaching Carousel":

NORTH CAROLINA

Out: Everett Withers, interim coach. Went 7-5 in one season.

Potential candidates: Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator George Edwards, USF coach Skip Holtz, Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano, Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads

About the job: North Carolina has been one of the greatest underachievers in ACC history. The program hasn't exceeded eight wins in a season (a span of four coaches) since Mack Brown left in 1997 despite elite talent on defense at times. The Tar Heels have excellent facilities and a good recruiting base. But the new coach could have difficulties with NCAA sanctions looming.

NORTH CAROLINA

Potential candidates: Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator George Edwards, USF coach Skip Holtz, Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano, Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads

About the job: North Carolina has been one of the greatest underachievers in ACC history. The program hasn't exceeded eight wins in a season (a span of four coaches) since Mack Brown left in 1997 despite elite talent on defense at times. The Tar Heels have excellent facilities and a good recruiting base. But the new coach could have difficulties with NCAA sanctions looming.

Outstanding! This is one of three ways Chan and the Bills could honorably GRE (get rid of Edwards) this year with all the injuries. If he takes Giff Smith with him even better!

This is worth a beer!

:beer:

PS if the Ravens DC takes a new job, what's his staff like? Maybe one of them would be ready to take a step up to DC...here?

Edited by Hopeful

Outstanding! This is one of three ways Chan and the Bills could honorably GRE (get rid of Edwards) this year with all the injuries. If he takes Giff Smith with him even better!

This is worth a beer!

:beer:

PS if the Ravens DC takes a new job, what's his staff like? Maybe one of them would be ready to take a step up to DC...here?

Unfortunately, the next in line would more likely stay with the Ravens and take over for Pagano.

But there's lots of talented people out there.

Nix and Chan's decision to retain or fire Edwards has nothing to do with Edward's options out there. They either want the guy or he's gone, but he's not going to leave an NFL DC job when he can only improve his defense from here on out.

My guess is they'll let him ride out the season and let him go in January.

NORTH CAROLINA

Please God 0:) 0:) 0:) 0:) 0:) 0:)

Please! May Kevin Greene get a shot! *one can dream*

My sentiments exactly!

Nix and Chan's decision to retain or fire Edwards has nothing to do with Edward's options out there. They either want the guy or he's gone, but he's not going to leave an NFL DC job when he can only improve his defense from here on out.

My guess is they'll let him ride out the season and let him go in January.

I don't know about that. College coaching positions are generally less demanding, more secure and better for the coach's ego than NFL gigs. Many coaches prefer them. Ask Steve Spurrier. I might be a good fit for him given his struggles so far at the NFL level.

I don't know about that. College coaching positions are generally less demanding, more secure and better for the coach's ego than NFL gigs. Many coaches prefer them. Ask Steve Spurrier. I might be a good fit for him given his struggles so far at the NFL level.

aaron maybin's *gulp* "success" in new york this year, as much as it pains me to say it, is reason enough (in my book) to can edwards.

chan took a bunch of no names, cast offs, and d3 "talent" and had them humming along as one of the best offenses in the league, until they all went on IR.

make our d based on the players we have, not try to fit the players we have into a preconceived d scheme.

if maybe can really come off the edge that fast, which it looks like he can, he should have been in that space for us.

not saying poz and maybin are all world, but theyre having good seasons on their new teams, and it's crazy to imagine a 3-4 with them, barnett and merriman! wow.

if anything, this year has proved how important coaching is to a team. we NEED a better d. a slightly better d (and being able to re-write history) would maybe have given us wins against cincy, the giants and the jets this year. that's an 8-3 record!

anyways, long story short, this team is this close to being super bowl contenders.

hang in there bills fans,

gonna be a fun offseason and a 2012 to remember!

If Edwards is out (which i hope he is) I really think we should go after Eric Mangini. He runs a 3-4 defense with the Pats, NYJ, and Browns. I think he would be a much better fit then the other names being brought up. Plus he probably has some unfinished business with the Pats and NYJ. Win, Win for us.

NORTH CAROLINA

Potential candidates: Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator George Edwards, USF coach Skip Holtz, Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano, Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads About the job: North Carolina has been one of the greatest underachievers in ACC history. The program hasn't exceeded eight wins in a season (a span of four coaches) since Mack Brown left in 1997 despite elite talent on defense at times. The Tar Heels have excellent facilities and a good recruiting base. But the new coach could have difficulties with NCAA sanctions looming.

Every one of those is a more attractive candidate than Edwards. No way NC would pick him unless everyone else says "no".

If Edwards is out (which i hope he is) I really think we should go after Eric Mangini. He runs a 3-4 defense with the Pats, NYJ, and Browns. I think he would be a much better fit then the other names being brought up. Plus he probably has some unfinished business with the Pats and NYJ. Win, Win for us.

Mangini will not come back into the league as a DC he wants a head coaches job not be a coordinator.

aaron maybin's *gulp* "success" in new york this year, as much as it pains me to say it, is reason enough (in my book) to can edwards.

chan took a bunch of no names, cast offs, and d3 "talent" and had them humming along as one of the best offenses in the league, until they all went on IR.

make our d based on the players we have, not try to fit the players we have into a preconceived d scheme.

if maybe can really come off the edge that fast, which it looks like he can, he should have been in that space for us.

not saying poz and maybin are all world, but theyre having good seasons on their new teams, and it's crazy to imagine a 3-4 with them, barnett and merriman! wow.

if anything, this year has proved how important coaching is to a team. we NEED a better d. a slightly better d (and being able to re-write history) would maybe have given us wins against cincy, the giants and the jets this year. that's an 8-3 record!

anyways, long story short, this team is this close to being super bowl contenders.

hang in there bills fans,

gonna be a fun offseason and a 2012 to remember!

Are you really sure about this ? ............ this team is this close to being super bowl contenders.

Huh? They did? The Bills were well into their swoon when Wood and FJ went down.