League will study Johnson's escape from Revis Island

buffalo1983

The exuberant celebrations and jubilant stupidity of Buffalo's Stevie Johnson made all of the news from the Bills-Jets game, but there was something that happened in the game that was far more interesting which coaches around the NFL are studying with great interest.

In that game, Johnson regularly beat the best cornerback in football, Darrelle Revis.

Now, Revis getting beat happens. Revis getting beat the way Johnson did it never happens. Never, ever, never.

The Newark Star Ledger reports Revis was targeted 13 times and gave up nine catches for 77 yards and a score. It was the second most targets all season showing teams might be getting more comfortable throwing at the best corner in football.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/16294148/tenpoint-stance-league-will-study-johnsons-escape-from-revis-island

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People are idiots for wanting to get rid of SJ. Ya, I said it. Hus juvenile antics and untimely drops are annoying as hell but he can clean those up by focusing and maturing as a young man and player.

Unlike most of our games Fitz held on to the ball to wait for WRs to get open. The replays of Johnson on Revis tell us all we need to know. Stevie was putting on some serious multiple moves and basket ball style jukes on Revis. If you have enough time to throw enough fakes any defender will eventually buy one. Getting off the line clean is important as well.

I truly believe that part of the whole Revis island thing is that he is so incredibly physical with WRs often to the point of illegal contact but the refs buy into him being the best so they let him get away with it.

Edited by PDaDdy

People are idiots for wanting to get rid of SJ. Ya, I said it. Hus juvenile antics and untimely drops are annoying as hell but he can clean those up by focusing and maturing as a young man and player.

Pretty much. SJ is about as tough of a guy off the line as any receiver in the league. The obvious biggest need is a pass rusher. But I'd love to get another stud receiver in the draft. We could have one of the best receiving cores in the NFL.

Last time! No excuses....but everyone know he has been playing with the groin injury.....they've been sating it since the pat game.....last chan said the 3 games he didn't even practice!...he said last week against the jets was the first time he has really got the timing back .....

Edited by EldaBillsFan

that game has proven beyond a doubt that stevie talent wise, is a legit #1 WR in the NFL. i don't think he deserves franchise tag money....but they should pay him big bucks.

now if his selfish, immature, late night chippewa partying, penalty antics could stop, we'd have a superstar in the making.

Edited by papazoid

And yet there are people on this board that want Stevie gone......Roll eyes at that crowd. Stevie is a special player that is still growing.

Actually if you read those threads carefully, there are only a few but vocal posters who actually want him gone. Most (me included) are complaining about his critical mistakes and occasional displays of immaturity.

I want him to be a Bill for a very long time and think he will greatly benefit from the addition of a deep threat.

And yet there are people on this board that want Stevie gone......Roll eyes at that crowd. Stevie is a special player that is still growing.

If by special you mean "rides the short bus" special then I agree. He is an average receiver in my opinion. But what he did to Revis is undeniable, he had a great game.

There is no need to cut him, and equally no need to overpay him. Pay the man what he is worth, but not what he thinks he is worth.

If by special you mean "rides the short bus" special then I agree. He is an average receiver in my opinion. But what he did to Revis is undeniable, he had a great game.

There is no need to cut him, and equally no need to overpay him. Pay the man what he is worth, but not what he thinks he is worth.

He's an UFA at the end of the year, so there is no need to cut him. And a player's worth is a subjective thing. He'll command big bucks on the market. Do the Bills pay it or let him leave and create another hole?