Buffalo won't move to LA

Colin Cowherd was basically saying today that a billionaire from Chicago (the new owner of Jags) may have said he wants or intends to keep the team in Florida...but with a new stadium approved in LA, he'll move them in 3 years. Jacksonville can't sell out their upcoming Monday night football game (and that's with 25 percent of the seats blocked off already - they are still 10,000 seats short - FOR A MONDAY NIGHT GAME!!!!). The new owner bought the team to make money...what better opportunity than a brand new stadium in a huge city. In my opinion, despite our team record, we still place high on the attendance list....and we DO have the best fans in the NFL (Green Bay is a close second in my opinion)....so there ya have it....straight from Cowherd (LOL). We're safe.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that matters really, is the lease.

Here's an article with a link to the original lease, and all 10 of the amendments.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/article/229143/3/The-Jaguars-Lease-Agreement-with-Jacksonville

I haven't read it yet… I know the original lease was signed in 1993. Don't know when it runs until or what if any buyout clause exists.

Perhaps my buddy ICanSleepWhenI"mDead can give us the Cliff Notes version. :)

Here's an article with a link to the original lease, and all 10 of the amendments.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/article/229143/3/The-Jaguars-Lease-Agreement-with-Jacksonville

I haven't read it yet… I know the original lease was signed in 1993. Don't know when it runs until or what if any buyout clause exists.

Perhaps my buddy ICanSleepWhenI"mDead can give us the Cliff Notes version. :)

Looks to me like the team is bound to pay for Capital Improvement Projects only if they give written notice that they agree to the named improvements...but that still gives them the right to decline capital improvements if they don't want them or don't want to assume the cost. In such a case, nothing would bind them to stay after normal expiration of the lease term....I.e. No automatic renewal of lease from what I see.

Very true. And this is why Cowherd doesn't know what he's talking about.

Weaver made it clear he was never going to move the team and that he wasn't going to sell to anyone who was intent on moving the team.

The lease is locked up until 2030! The value of the lease is 145 million, of which the minimum penalty of breaking the lease is 100 million as of this year (plus lost surcharges and parking at another million--per year of the remaining lease). Add to that the relocation fee (145 million or so?) and the rent that the new owner would have to pay his LA landlord (I would have to believe it would be significantly more than he pays in Jacksonville now).

That would make the price of moving to LA at least 300-350 million? On a 760 million purchase?

The only way this new owner avoids paying the massive lease breaking penalty is to prove he lost money his first year AND that he was below the league's revenue average for the next 2 years. This, of course, will be impossible because he and all of the other owners would have to open their books for him to make this claim.

Not gonna happen.

I still wanna punch him in the face.

And is there a bigger joke than the Jags getting 2 MNF games this year? And thank god we passed on Gabbert. He wasn't good in college and he is the worst starting QB in the NFL.

He wasn't good in college, yet he was drafted in the first round, 10th overall ??? :unsure:

He's a rookie QB on a crappy team and has played half a season - even JP and Trent had more time before we truly knew they sucked.

Give the kid a season or two, ferchrissakes. :rolleyes:

(Sad thing is, Mike Leach could have probably turned Gabbert into an All Pro in a hurry if J-ville had landed "The Pirate' as HC :pirate:.)

post-2970-066065800 1322757903_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

The new owner bought the team to make money...

Billionaires don't buy NFL teams to make money - there's far better investment vehicles for that level of wealth. Owning a pro sports franchise is the ultimate status symbol of the elite, and you have to have an incredible passion for the sport.

I don't know, Ralph has never shown any intention that he cares if the team stay in buffalo after he's gone. I think he plays the part just to keep the people coming. There are 31 other owners who would love to replace one of the smallest markets teams, with one of the biggest markets, which in return would open the door for Toronto down the road. I'm really trying to stay positive here, but I think the writing on the wall is so clear that it blinding everyone in Buffalo that the Bills are going to stay. Hope I'm wrong.

Billionaires don't buy NFL teams to make money - there's far better investment vehicles for that level of wealth. Owning a pro sports franchise is the ultimate status symbol of the elite, and you have to have an incredible passion for the sport.

How anyone who roots for a Ralph Wilson owned team can write this is beyond comprehension. The Jacksonville fan base is about to experience the out of town owner experience. All they have to do to break the lease and move is three $ losing seasons. Year from now cheap teams have to spend right up to the salary cap. Mission accomplished

He wasn't good in college, yet he was drafted in the first round, 10th overall ??? :unsure:

He's a rookie QB on a crappy team and has played half a season - even JP and Trent had more time before we truly knew they sucked.

Give the kid a season or two, ferchrissakes. :rolleyes:

(Sad thing is, Mike Leach could have probably turned Gabbert into an All Pro in a hurry if J-ville had landed "The Pirate' as HC :pirate:.)

You're right about burying a young player too quick but I get a feeling about certain guys. I hate Clausen and thought he was the product of a system. Gabbert threw 16 tds and 9 ints in a spread offense. He also averaged less than 7 ypa. http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=168003 I want my 1st rounders to dominate their competition and he hardly did that. He reeks of Trent Edwards.

And for the talk ofthe Jags being bad, they have the 4th ranked defense in the NFL. When you are 4th ranked and have the worst offense in the league, it means you have good awful QB play. He, without a doubt, will be the worst QB out of the guys drafted this year to start. And to think the Jags took him that high and could have grabed Dalton (awesome #s and a big time winner in college) in the 2nd.

They will more than likely settle for a lot less than 300,000,000.00 .

The City of Jacksonville will let them walk out of an solid lease and 100 million+?

The NFL owners will give this guy a reduced rate on moving the team?

The owners of the yet to be built LA stadium will sign them for less than 20 or 30 years and for less than the 145 million they signed in Jacksonville?

I din't see why any of those things would happen.

Yah, how people don't get this in 2011 is beyond me.

The Jags would be worth 500 million more right off the top by moving to LA. No lease is in breakable. If this guy wants to go, he will and no lawsuit will stop it. He could pay out the city of Jacksonville to settle and still make far more. In terms of showing a loss due to poor attendance, it is obvious the Jags do not draw and they can manipulate the books to show a loss if needed. This is the beginning of the end for the Jags in Jacksonville.