Man forced to stand for seven-hour flight

\GoBillsInDallas/

Mr Berkowitz added that his ordeal in July presented a safety risk because he could not use his seatbelt for take-off and landing.

Seriously? A seat belt on an airplane?. Like you'll ever read this:

119 of 120 passengers survived the crash with the lone exception, Mr. Berkowitz" expiring after being thrown through the windshield. Mr. Berkowitz was not wearing a seat belt.

It's a plane. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Edited by ieatcrayonz

That's a huge Safety issue!

What if there had been turbulence? What if the standee fell on top of someone else and injured both of them?

The Captain should have put him in the cockpit and strapped him in on their jump seat. The article implies that the Cabin Jump Seats were full because they were operating with a full cabin crew compliment but that would still leave the cockpit jump seat(s)option It's questionable if he would have taken heat for doing that, but I believe that he could duck that by asserting the overriding Safety issue.

The $200 resolution is laughable but how much would it cost to sue them??? The Airline saved many times more than $200 by not delaying the flight by returning to deplane 1 person and their bag(s).

The solution is obvious. The plane never should have departed the gate. They should have told the fat guy to get off the plane and go buy two seats on the next flight. If this happened to me, I'd have told the fat guy to get up so I could get in my seat and then put the arm rest down. The problem is his, not mine. Let them allow the fat man to stand for a seven hour flight. Not my problem.

The solution is obvious. The plane never should have departed the gate. They should have told the fat guy to get off the plane and go buy two seats on the next flight. If this happened to me, I'd have told the fat guy to get up so I could get in my seat and then put the arm rest down. The problem is his, not mine. Let them allow the fat man to stand for a seven hour flight. Not my problem.

Agreed or the big guy should have at least offered to alternate with him.

They couldn't even offer him one of those little pull out seats that the flight attendants use?

Seriously? A seat belt on an airplane?. Like you'll ever read this:

It's a plane. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

It really is a joke. People worrying about airplane seat belt while thousands are killed each year by having their chests caved in by tray tables in the down position.

:thumbdown:

The Captain should have put him in the cockpit and strapped him in on their jump seat.

Probably illegal, post-9/11.

However else they deal with the situation, not departing the gate is pretty much inarguable. Not only for that guy's safety, but for everyone else's, for the same reason you stow carry-on securely: in turbulence, he becomes a projectile that can hurt others.

As for booting the fat guy off...I don't disagree, but you do realize that's an easy multi-million dollar discrimination lawsuit against the airline? It's much easier and cheaper to discriminate against someone who's not considered special.