Desean Jackson-Broke

DaveinElma

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least he spends his own money. A few years ago a few Barclay's bankers spent 48,000 pounds sterling for lunch. Stuff hit the fan when they tried to expense it. They were fired.

By the way, a couple of 100 k is not the big deal the reporter is making it out to be. If you are D. Jackson its really only pocket change. Still, no doubt thses guys need to manage their money, and its something they cannot do for themselves.

At least he spends his own money. A few years ago a few Barclay's bankers spent 48,000 pounds sterling for lunch. Stuff hit the fan when they tried to expense it. They were fired.

By the way, a couple of 100 k is not the big deal the reporter is making it out to be. If you are D. Jackson its really only pocket change. Still, no doubt thses guys need to manage their money, and its something they cannot do for themselves.

Well, if he shatters his knee next week you could say he's royally screwed. But what's a few 100k

Well, if he shatters his knee next week you could say he's royally screwed. But what's a few 100k

Well, you know, it is what it is. Lots of bad things can happen. Somehow I don't really think your concern for D. Jackson (and his blown out knee) is all that genuine.

And its his money. He can do with it what he pleases, including spend it unwisely or throw it into lake Erie for that matter.

Well, you know, it is what it is. Lots of bad things can happen. Somehow I don't really think your concern for D. Jackson (and his blown out knee) is all that genuine.

And its his money. He can do with it what he pleases, including spend it unwisely or throw it into lake Erie for that matter.

If his career is ended prematurely on the field he gets what everett got...250k a year. plus he probably has a private disability insurance policy worth a shitload of money. Remember willis? He had that policy before his last year at miami if he didn't play football for a year he got a 3 million payday which is why he didn't play his rookie year for us.

If his career is ended prematurely on the field he gets what everett got...250k a year. plus he probably has a private disability insurance policy worth a shitload of money. Remember willis? He had that policy before his last year at miami if he didn't play football for a year he got a 3 million payday which is why he didn't play his rookie year for us.

ok. Another reason not to feel sorry for him. In fact I'm starting to wish I was him instead of me.

I didn't realize I seemed to be feigning concern. What he does is all him, I dont really care about his retirement plan at all. My comment was directed at how ridiculous your previous post was, as if a few hundred thousand isn't a lot for a guy on a rookie deal... A guy with real health issues, given his concussion history. Seems like a reckless approach. After taxes, agent fees, etc.... That 25k night you see the one receipt from is probably damn near a tenth of what he took home that year.

Not pocket change yet - as allegedly he's out of money and has a credit card with drew rosenhaus on the billing address right now.

Does that apply for any career ending injury? Or was Everett a special case for his permanent disability? Furthermore, say he has a huge concussion in December, or tears an acl in workouts in february- I bet that 10m a year deal dries up quickly.

As for the insurance- is it common practice for active players? I've heard many times for guys expecting to be top ten picks while remaining in school (bradford as another example).... But I can't think of an active NFL player ive heard it for. I'm sure it's possible, but curious about an example.I figure they'd mention it with franchised, or rfa players but I'm drawing a blank.

Edited by NoSaint

I didn't realize I seemed to be feigning concern. What he does is all him, I dont really care about his retirement plan at all. My comment was directed at how ridiculous your previous post was, as if a few hundred thousand isn't a lot for a guy on a rookie deal... A guy with real health issues, given his concussion history. Seems like a reckless approach. After taxes, agent fees, etc.... That 25k night you see the one receipt from is probably damn near a tenth of what he took home that year.

Not pocket change yet - as allegedly he's out of money and has a credit card with drew rosenhaus on the billing address right now.

Nothing in life is certain (except death and taxes) and really there are no guarantees. So every day all of us act on the basis of the preponderance of probabilities, as we perceive them. D.Jackson perhaps feels that, all things considered, in particular his future in football, a couple of 100K is really all that much money. And you know I'll bet Drew Rosenhaus is pretty sure he is going to be repaid whatever he is owed. And I'll even go a step further. I've got $5 (or $5000) to say that, if indeed that is Jackson's conjecture, he's absolutely right. Interested?

And of course you were not feigning concern. The point was you actually had no concern. To busy pontificating on the kid's alleged recklessness. Hope it made you feel better.

Nothing in life is certain (except death and taxes) and really there are no guarantees. So every day all of us act on the basis of the preponderance of probabilities, as we perceive them. D.Jackson perhaps feels that, all things considered, in particular his future in football, a couple of 100K is really all that much money. And you know I'll bet Drew Rosenhaus is pretty sure he is going to be repaid whatever he is owed. And I'll even go a step further. I've got $5 (or $5000) to say that, if indeed that is Jackson's conjecture, he's absolutely right. Interested?

And of course you were not feigning concern. The point was you actually had no concern. To busy pontificating on the kid's alleged recklessness. Hope it made you feel better.

Again, what he does is all on him. The story has played our literally thousands of time with these "stars" outliving their means - across sports and entertainment around the world. I have no doubt that he sees paychecks for those amounts in the future but I would confidently make another bet- that he doesn't stop spending. It's a nasty cycle and the part I think you miss is that it's not pocket change if it's spent before it ever makes it to his pocket. The dude is not just living paycheck to paycheck but he's behind that pace. He feels invincible, and time and time again these guys wake up one day and realize the next pay day isn't actually coming. Everyone around them goes home with money in their pocket, and they are dead broke. It's a safe bet for rosenhaus, it's a bad situation for desean.

It's especially worrisome for an undersized receiver with huge concussion issues. There's a big chance the well goes dry fast, and he will be left with no friends, and a lot of hands fighting over whatever money or assets he has left. Were watching it right now with TO and drew rosenhaus in fact. Its sad, but it's his choice, I won't lose sleep if hes out poppin bottles tonight.

Edited by NoSaint

I wouldn't want to be him. In fact if I were him, I'd probably be miserable knowing that in my occupation, the very next weekend, it could all be over, and I've got nothing to fall back on. No education. No money. No job. No thanks.

I wouldn't want to be him. In fact if I were him, I'd probably be miserable knowing that in my occupation, the very next weekend, it could all be over, and I've got nothing to fall back on. No education. No money. No job. No thanks.

Yep, if I were in their shoes, that's exactly what i'd be thinking. I'd be saving and investing my arse off during my playing days. Sure, go out and have fun, but for fux sake even the top athletes in the world should be able to have fun without needing to drop 25k :rolleyes:

He did go to one of the best universities, Cal Berkeley, for 3 years. Like Lynch, he could graduate from a school 99% of people could never get into. The world is crazy.

He did go to one of the best universities, Cal Berkeley, for 3 years. Like Lynch, he could graduate from a school 99% of people could never get into. The world is crazy.

That is a matter of debate... if you can call it an education... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have my son go there if they paid me.