An informed opinion on our offense is needed

Saw a CBS analysis on why we've been failing on O. Basically, DCs know our line is weak and can't sustain long plays, so they're jamming our WRs on the line, creating extra time to disrupt plays. Makes sense. Since we're lacking a physical receiver, it's been working.

So now, with Wood injured, where do we go from here on O?

We were able to put out amazing offensive performances with a weak o line. Now that the cat's out of the bag, and I do believe it's as simple as that, how do we adjust? Our D is as good as it's going to get. But I refuse to believe it's over for our O, especially since I believe in our core group of guys.

Some thoughts:

•  
  • More Wildcat. On key plays, Smith can scramble, create extra time for a pass, and of course run. We've abandoned this.
  • More speedy Spiller. Why does Chan REFUSE to use him?. If our pass is shut down, we need to run it down their throats--up the middle and the side.
  • Jasper at OG. We're desperate if we've lost Wood.

We're getting a bit desperate now, but it's hardly over...We're only the second team in line for a wildcard. But the above solutions are only a patch. Is there something else we can do? I don't believe it's just a lack of execution, although it would be great if it were.

Looking for informed answers from people who know we aren't awesome or think the sky has fallen.

Edited by JustinAtlanta

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go along with all of this with the exception of 1 thing. The Wildcat is an absolute joke. I desperately wanted this to work for the Bills but it's a joke of a formation. Any half@ssed coach or player in this league will tell you it's a joke and a bad one at that. Smith is not even close to being even servicable as a QB/Passer/thrower/what ever you want to call it. He can't even play as a WR. At this point I notice the hype on him was absolutely false and was just a media frenzy stirred up by the Jets and the absolutely missinformed NY media. He's a joke. I'm actually mad the team FO pay this @ssclown more than $5.00 a year. He's a waste of a jersey number at this point. There are backup kickers/punters/ and practice squad QBs that could be using #16. His only throw all year was an I T or almost an INT (don't remember) and it didn't even look close to where it should have been. He's a waste of sperm, his father should of finished in the sink. But it's not all on him. It's mostly on the Bills FO for thinking he's actually a football player. OMG what a joke!!!! I haven't seen this guy return a kick all year and then he screws up the only thing that he attempts by not getting his foot out of bounds before he touches the ball. Come on!!!!! I couldn't be anymore dissapointed at his lack of production on all sides of play. Please somebody offer us a box of slim jims and a case of yoohoo for this scrub. I'll take that for him now.

I would go along with all of this with the exception of 1 thing. The Wildcat is an absolute joke. I desperately wanted this to work for the Bills but it's a joke of a formation. Any half@ssed coach or player in this league will tell you it's a joke and a bad one at that. Smith is not even close to being even servicable as a QB/Passer/thrower/what ever you want to call it. He can't even play as a WR. At this point I notice the hype on him was absolutely false and was just a media frenzy stirred up by the Jets and the absolutely missinformed NY media. He's a joke. I'm actually mad the team FO pay this @ssclown more than $5.00 a year. He's a waste of a jersey number at this point. There are backup kickers/punters/ and practice squad QBs that could be using #16. His only throw all year was an I T or almost an INT (don't remember) and it didn't even look close to where it should have been. He's a waste of sperm, his father should of finished in the sink. But it's not all on him. It's mostly on the Bills FO for thinking he's actually a football player. OMG what a joke!!!! I haven't seen this guy return a kick all year and then he screws up the only thing that he attempts by not getting his foot out of bounds before he touches the ball. Come on!!!!! I couldn't be anymore dissapointed at his lack of production on all sides of play. Please somebody offer us a box of slim jims and a case of yoohoo for this scrub. I'll take that for him now.

He wanted informed opinions on our offense.

My informed opinion is that Gailey, to his credit, designed an offense to minimize the deficiencies of an Oline in pass protection while maximizing the intelligence of his QB and other skill players while spreading out the D to open up the running game.

For the most part, that has worked. The key is to be in manageable down/distance situations and force Ds to play you honestly because the moment you aren't, you are forced to play in a way that goes away from your strengths. But the same can be said of any team, really.

GO BILLS!!!

Saw a CBS analysis on why we've been failing on O. Basically, DCs know our line is weak and can't sustain long plays, so they're jamming our WRs on the line, creating extra time to disrupt plays. Makes sense. Since we're lacking a physical receiver, it's been working.

So now, with Wood injured, where do we go from here on O?

We were able to put out amazing offensive performances with a weak o line. Now that the cat's out of the bag, and I do believe it's as simple as that, how do we adjust? Our D is as good as it's going to get. But I refuse to believe it's over for our O, especially since I believe in our core group of guys.

Some thoughts:

•  
  • More Wildcat. On key plays, Smith can scramble, create extra time for a pass, and of course run. We've abandoned this.
  • More speedy Spiller. Why does Chan REFUSE to use him?. If our pass is shut down, we need to run it down their throats--up the middle and the side.
  • Jasper at OG. We're desperate if we've lost Wood.

We're getting a bit desperate now, but it's hardly over...We're only the second team in line for a wildcard. But the above solutions are only a patch. Is there something else we can do? I don't believe it's just a lack of execution, although it would be great if it were.

Looking for informed answers from people who know we aren't awesome or think the sky has fallen.

To me, an old schooler, though not all that old...simple fix is to become a run first team. Bottom line is that we get the ball into Freddy J's hands a lot more, spell him with a change of pace back, Spiller, and open up the pass...Really, am I missing something?

To me, an old schooler, though not all that old...simple fix is to become a run first team. Bottom line is that we get the ball into Freddy J's hands a lot more, spell him with a change of pace back, Spiller, and open up the pass...Really, am I missing something?

Oh, and FIRE George Edwards! Anoth poster on another thread put it best..."it doesn't work, it hasn't worked, and it will never work." His schemes are terrible and god only knows why he refuses to blitz and rush more than 3 or 4 guys.

Oh, and FIRE George Edwards! Anoth poster on another thread put it best..."it doesn't work, it hasn't worked, and it will never work." His schemes are terrible and god only knows why he refuses to blitz and rush more than 3 or 4 guys.

Our CBs for one and the talent of our OLBs for another. The first TD pass by Romo is a good example of an experienced QB taking advantage of man coverage on a blitz and burning our secondary because of it. Edwards is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

That's not a defense of Edwards. Just the obvious recognition that he is severely scheme-limited by the personnel he has. Maybe he can't devise blitz schemes to save his ass but I've seen us get burned too many times when he's tried it. I'd be reluctant as well.

GO BILLS!!!

WTF?

So you don't think that ejaculating in the sink will fix the offense?

So far, the solutions on this board to fix our offensive woes include:

•  
  • Firing the defensive coordinator.
  • Giving the rock to Freddy more, whose already getting 100 yards a game. (Maybe that's all we got, though, so the solution is acknowledged.)
  • Going back in time to prevent Brad Smith from ever being born.

If that's the extent of our solutions, we clearly need more cowbell.

Edited by JustinAtlanta

So far, the solutions on this board to fix our offensive woes include:

•  
  • Firing the defensive coordinator.
  • Giving the rock to Freddy more, whose already getting 100 yards a game. (Maybe that's all we got, though, so the solution is acknowledged.)
  • Going back in time to prevent Brad Smith from ever being born.

If that's the extent of our solutions, we clearly need more cowbell.

I think it really depends on the type of sink. Are we talking kitchen sink, utility sink, or say the bathroom sink at Denny's?

I think we need to do what we do. We can't play defense. We can't throw deep. We need to maximize what we can do. We can run the ball. We should. After we run the ball, we should play-action pass. This concept is totally missing in Chan's play calling. After we play action pass, we should run a screen. A tunnel screen, a tailback screen, a jailbreak screen, a tight end screen, a fullback screen, etc. Once we have done all that we should do it all over again. We should have Brad Smith on the field more because nobody knows what he can and cannot do in a Bills jersey. We should have Fred and Cj on the field together more. We should run a damn I formation. But I am sure Chan is on top of it. He is a good coach. He'll spend today and tomorrow reviewing himself and his play calls. I have confidence in this team and coaching staff.

Our CBs for one and the talent of our OLBs for another. The first TD pass by Romo is a good example of an experienced QB taking advantage of man coverage on a blitz and burning our secondary because of it. Edwards is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

That's not a defense of Edwards. Just the obvious recognition that he is severely scheme-limited by the personnel he has. Maybe he can't devise blitz schemes to save his ass but I've seen us get burned too many times when he's tried it. I'd be reluctant as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Although I do not have the highest of opinions on Edward's ability to come up with good defensive game plans, I have to admit that he is in a bad situation every time he puts our corners (particularly McKelvin) in one on one coverage to allow for the extra pass rusher.

Oh and the whole thing about Jasper...he is on the team because he has obvious physical tools and potential...another guy that comes to mind is Rob Johnson, Trent Edwards, JP Losman, etc. Get off it. If he is someone that the coaches (who see him everyday in practice) believe can help this team he'd being doing it already. Like Chan says, "If it were that simple, we'd have done it already." I'm so sick of the Jasper crap.

I think we need to do what we do. We can't play defense. We can't throw deep. We need to maximize what we can do. We can run the ball. We should. After we run the ball, we should play-action pass. This concept is totally missing in Chan's play calling. After we play action pass, we should run a screen. A tunnel screen, a tailback screen, a jailbreak screen, a tight end screen, a fullback screen, etc. Once we have done all that we should do it all over again. We should have Brad Smith on the field more because nobody knows what he can and cannot do in a Bills jersey. We should have Fred and Cj on the field together more. We should run a damn I formation. But I am sure Chan is on top of it. He is a good coach. He'll spend today and tomorrow reviewing himself and his play calls. I have confidence in this team and coaching staff.

So, Freddy and CJ are in the backfield in the I. Who's the lead back? What's the game situation?

GO BILLS!!!

Oh and the whole thing about Jasper...he is on the team because he has obvious physical tools and potential...another guy that comes to mind is Rob Johnson, Trent Edwards, JP Losman, etc. Get off it. If he is someone that the coaches (who see him everyday in practice) believe can help this team he'd being doing it already. Like Chan says, "If it were that simple, we'd have done it already." I'm so sick of the Jasper crap.

Impossible! It is famed for its healing qualities. Its like a smelly fountain of youth.Saying "you're sick of Jasper crap" is like saying your healthy with disease or sick of medicine, a total f'ing conundrum.

Edited by Jauronimo

Thank you. Agree with it all. Run and play action all the way.

Despite one poster's rambling opinion that Smith should never have been born, I am of the belief that he can be a weapon...if he's used...which he isn't...even though he should...kind of like Spiller. They're both like fancy books on your bookshelf you've never read. Only these books cost millions.