An informed opinion on our offense is needed

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a defense jams receivers at the line of scrimmage and plays bump-and-run, they are usually leaving themselves open for big plays down the field.

The problem is:

1. None of our receivers are fast enough to consistently cause separation down the field

2. Our offensive line isn't good enough to hold blocks for that extra 1-2 seconds

3. Our quarterback is extremely inaccurate on downfield passes

The offense we have been running for 9 games is DESIGNED to mask all these weak points. Now that teams have figured us out, there really isn't much we can do about it - other than add more talent to the team. Defenses are basically DARING us to beat them 1-on-1 downfield and we CAN'T DO IT.

This is why I can't blame Chan for the recent offensive downturn. He has the choice to either:

a) Run an offense that goes completely against the strengths of his players

b) Keep trying what worked for the first 7 games, despite the fact that defenses now know how to counter it

If I was the offensive coordinator, I would probably try to run more play-action (like someone else already suggested) with a quarterback roll-out. This might help a little bit with our protection and getting receivers open. But if Fitzpatrick can't be better at long passes, the results are going to be the same.

Good analysis. I'd add to this that when your defense can't get off the field, it places a lot more pressure on your offense. Also seems like our offense starts every drive deep in our end lately.

Good grief, yet another thread where the 'solution' is the wildcat and Spiller at WR. Why does everyone assume that a 2d year RB who has generally been ineffective at his position is suddenly going to be able to contribute at a new position??

Has it occurred to anyone that the staff has tried Spiller at WR in practice and have concluded that he's just not good enough? The fact that he's fast doesn't automatically mean he can play WR.

I would go along with all of this with the exception of 1 thing. The Wildcat is an absolute joke. I desperately wanted this to work for the Bills but it's a joke of a formation. Any half@ssed coach or player in this league will tell you it's a joke and a bad one at that. Smith is not even close to being even servicable as a QB/Passer/thrower/what ever you want to call it. He can't even play as a WR. At this point I notice the hype on him was absolutely false and was just a media frenzy stirred up by the Jets and the absolutely missinformed NY media. He's a joke. I'm actually mad the team FO pay this @ssclown more than $5.00 a year. He's a waste of a jersey number at this point. There are backup kickers/punters/ and practice squad QBs that could be using #16. His only throw all year was an I T or almost an INT (don't remember) and it didn't even look close to where it should have been. He's a waste of sperm, his father should of finished in the sink. But it's not all on him. It's mostly on the Bills FO for thinking he's actually a football player. OMG what a joke!!!! I haven't seen this guy return a kick all year and then he screws up the only thing that he attempts by not getting his foot out of bounds before he touches the ball. Come on!!!!! I couldn't be anymore dissapointed at his lack of production on all sides of play. Please somebody offer us a box of slim jims and a case of yoohoo for this scrub. I'll take that for him now.

he was doing real good at the beginning. he was like at 90% 3rd down conversion.

you're dead wrong about him. this is another example of bills not using talent in the correct way. and hell no im not talking about aaron maybin. id cite london fletcher or a jason peters.

ps. spiller is not a bust. hes just not an every down back. im pretty sure when he leaves buffalo his career will soar just like w mcgahee did (except this year of course)

oh and low blow bro.

he was doing real good at the beginning. he was like at 90% 3rd down conversion.

you're dead wrong about him. this is another example of bills not using talent in the correct way. and hell no im not talking about aaron maybin. id cite london fletcher or a jason peters.

ps. spiller is not a bust. hes just not an every down back. im pretty sure when he leaves buffalo his career will soar just like w mcgahee did (except this year of course)

oh and low blow bro.

Can't believe you responded seriously to this shroom-induced rant. :pirate:

Agree with you though. Nothing wrong with Brad Smith, nor should his parents not have reproduced. We haven't used him right yet, and when we've have, he was a third-down-conversion machine. And Spiller will be used successfully somewhere...hopefully here. As I said in another post, these guys are like multi-million dollar books you have on your bookshelf that you've never read.

Time to give them a shot.

oh and low blow bro.

Soar? :blink:

Wonder what Moreno thinks about being a backup... :huh: