Wilson named one of cheapest owners in NFL history

truth on hold

I said saving money. He signed him for less than the two of you thought he would cost a few months later. He panicked---the smart move would have been to wait for Djs inevitable collapse a few weeks later and dump him. Renewing his contract and then firing him makes Ralph look dumb and cheap.

Without a QB, the Skins are going nowhere, no matter who the HC. Ditto in Miami.

In algebra, I believe dumb and cheap can also be expressed as desperate.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1959 he paid $25,000 for the team and they called him a fool. 2011 the Bills worth $800 million, they call he cheap. I think he is a Genius!!!!

Edited by Shoto

They can say what they will about Ralph but to me a man that is careful with his money is much more of a wise man to me than say a dum ass that spends 1.3 billion dollars to build a stadium just to satisfy his own ego !

Especially when there was nothing really wrong with the other one !!

How long will it take to pay off that money ? Plus how high are the ticket prices & everything else when you have that kind of debt ??

Sure Erie county may have to come up with some funds to upgrade some things in the Ralph but i'd rather do that then be so freakin strapped with a huge payment on something that you can only get limited use out of .

:doh:

I said saving money. He signed him for less than the two of you thought he would cost a few months later. He panicked---the smart move would have been to wait for Djs inevitable collapse a few weeks later and dump him. Renewing his contract and then firing him makes Ralph look dumb and cheap.

Without a QB, the Skins are going nowhere, no matter who the HC. Ditto in Miami.

They saved some money when they edited Jauron out of the team photo though.

Saban and Knox were known high profile entities Levy was not a hire were people said look Wilson hired Marv Levy that shows his commitment.

Levy was met with the same fanfare by most (exclusive of Buffalo homers) as the hiring of Chan Gailey. Specifically, people chuckled and said, "Who? Are you kidding? The coach that tried to run the Wing-T in the NFL years ago?"

A hope nugget: both Levy and Gailey failed and got fired in Kansas City before coming to Buffalo.

It's your understanding that Ralph was prepared to pay for high price coaches ? No he wasn't , and I don't know where you got that (wrong) information. His history is to under pay for coaches, general managers, scouts etc. Levy never made big bucks. John Butler left for San Diego as his Buffalo salary was 250,000.00 Ralph underpaid Polian and later fired him, a future hall of gamer.

When you look at the entire history of the Bills, the majority of seasons are losing and pathetic teams. Ralph is one of the worst owners in NFL history, and the fact that he is in the hall of fame is a joke.

A hope nugget: both Levy and Gailey failed and got fired in Kansas City before coming to Buffalo.

Well Marv did have that stint in the USFL in between those jobs. He coached the Chicago Blitz to a sterling 5-13 effort in 1984. George Allen was 12-6 with the Blitz in 1983. Marv was also 8-29 as coach of the Cal Bears and 31-42 with the Chiefs. While neither was a well received hire, Gailey's track record is Lombardi-esque by comparison.

Well Marv did have that stint in the USFL in between those jobs. He coached the Chicago Blitz to a sterling 5-13 effort in 1984. George Allen was 12-6 with the Blitz in 1983. Marv was also 8-29 as coach of the Cal Bears and 31-42 with the Chiefs. While neither was a well received hire, Gailey's track record is Lombardi-esque by comparison.

The bolded was the point, of course. I wasn't trying to compare the two men's lifetime records, etc. I called it a "hope nugget" because I believe having both coached at Kansas City prior to Buffalo brings nothing to the table. Others may find it an interesting fact to draw conclusions about Gailey and the Bills future, of course. B-)

The bolded was the point, of course. I wasn't trying to compare the two men's lifetime records, etc. I called it a "hope nugget" because I believe having both coached at Kansas City prior to Buffalo brings nothing to the table. Others may find it an interesting fact to draw conclusions about Gailey and the Bills future, of course. B-)

Oh, I know but some on this board don't realize that Marv was pretty much a dud at places like Cal, Wm and Mary, KC, USFL. The only good run he had previous to Buffalo was in the CFL.. It's not surprising that he hired Dick Jauron because he saw himself in Jauron. Unfortunately, Marv was no Bill Polian as Jauron's gm. Marv won a lot of games from 88'-96" because he had the most talented roster in the NFL for most of that time, but he wasn't a game changer by any stretch. Gailey may never make the playoffs in the NFL again, but he's a better football mind than Marv.

I still fail to understand the reason of this article...it looks like it is based on the win/loss record and not entirely on spending $

Plus, I'd rather get sports news from a Star Magazine, than getting it from the Bleacher Report

Edited by KollegeStudnet

This seems the opposite to me:

"Ralph Wilson doesn't have a problem spending money on high priced free agents. He also doesn't mind playing(sic) his current players to keep them in Buffalo. The biggest criticism on Wilson is his apparent inability to spend money on a decent and veteran coach."

Maybe this was true in the Jauron-era, but it's my understanding he was willing to pay Cowher or Shanahan as much as they'd get anywhere else. Neither wanted to go to Buffalo (Cowher not surprising, Shanahan thankfully.) Over the years Bills have had some higher profile coaches like Saban, Knox, Levy and Phillips, and gave touted up and comers like Williams and Mularkey a chance.

At the same time, Bills are well under the cap and have a history of letting higher profile FA's leave over money ... Peters, Winfield, WIlliams, Clements, Price, Jennings, Fletcher, Washington, Whitner, Poz, etc

Article

Peters play had deteriorated.. as did Whitners.. Hell, wasn't even going to start. Poz was/is an average LB at best. While guys like Clements, Jennings, and possible Flecther were more about money.. it wasn't about not wanting to pay, but Ralph wasn't gonna pay the ubsurd prices their new teams paid. Particularly Clements and Jennings. (How happy you think SF fans are now with those signings? Probably tickled, now that their gone. Heh.)

What Price are we referring to here? Peerless? Don't think he ever left as a FA did he?

Big Pat, winfield and fletcher were affordable and all had many pro bowl years left when we cheaped out on em. Some dudes you hafta let walk like Clements and probably Peters.

Love the meatloaf comment PTR. I never know what she's DOING back there.....

I will say this much, I don't believe Ralph is just cheap. He is clueless when it comes to judging football talent and putting a team together and as such he makes a lot of bad decisions, many of which are influenced by having to spend money.

Peters play had deteriorated.. as did Whitners.. Hell, wasn't even going to start. Poz was/is an average LB at best. While guys like Clements, Jennings, and possible Flecther were more about money.. it wasn't about not wanting to pay, but Ralph wasn't gonna pay the ubsurd prices their new teams paid. Particularly Clements and Jennings. (How happy you think SF fans are now with those signings? Probably tickled, now that their gone. Heh.)

What Price are we referring to here? Peerless? Don't think he ever left as a FA did he?

From what I know bills and price couldn't agree on a contract. Bills franchised him to increase their trade leverage. He went to ATL for a 1st round pick. I think it wa understood bills wouldn't give him a long term contract so yes I'd consider this an example of not paying one of your FAs.

You should write a bleacher report about this policy. Someone would be bound to link it!

But yes, I agree.

I actually began to try to do this at one point, was going to write a brief satirical piece on how the website is fuel for trolls and fodder for the idiot...but it looked like a lot of work.

This seems the opposite to me:

"Ralph Wilson doesn't have a problem spending money on high priced free agents. He also doesn't mind playing(sic) his current players to keep them in Buffalo. The biggest criticism on Wilson is his apparent inability to spend money on a decent and veteran coach."

Maybe this was true in the Jauron-era, but it's my understanding he was willing to pay Cowher or Shanahan as much as they'd get anywhere else. Neither wanted to go to Buffalo (Cowher not surprising, Shanahan thankfully.) Over the years Bills have had some higher profile coaches like Saban, Knox, Levy and Phillips, and gave touted up and comers like Williams and Mularkey a chance.

At the same time, Bills are well under the cap and have a history of letting higher profile FA's leave over money ... Peters, Winfield, WIlliams, Clements, Price, Jennings, Fletcher, Washington, Whitner, Poz, etc

Article

cripe--most of those FA moves were the correct moves.you wanna rip Ralph let a real Bills fan do it;)