The Jets made Mega Mind look more like Scatter Brain

Article with quote

"I mean, we weren't physical enough in the ballgame," said coach Chan Gailey. "We have to be more physical."

That's true enough. For the second time in three games, the Bills were physically pounded by a New York City team. But they lost the intellectual war, too. Gailey has outfoxed several coaching icons this year. When he came up against Ryan, he blinked. The Jets made Mega Mind look more like Scatter Brain.

Also, a quote I hadn't heard elsewhere out of the mouth of Bart "they couldn't stop a nosebleed" "Can't Wait!" Scott:

"It was the same plays they ran last year," linebacker Bart Scott said. "They didn't put in any magic formula. It's all about executing. That's still a good football team. But it's dangerous when a team that traditionally hasn't won starts winning. You have to handle success."

He's right about needing to handle success, and that almost sounds more like well-meant advice than mockery. It also begs the question though: if we ran these plays to no success last year, why not try something different? (see "scatter brain" quote above)

That is all

Edited by Hopeful

The Jets are a pretty-well-coached team (with caveat that Schottenheimer runs hot and cold). Add to that the nearly unlimited resources of a NY-based franchise, a number of draft hits in the first round, and strength and depth on both lines, and you see why they have made the AFC title game two years running.

Like any NFL team, they can be beaten, and we've seen it happen three times this season.

The ways to beat them are to force Sanchez into mistakes (check), capitalize on those mistakes (big ZERO there), sustain drives (fail) and limit the clock consumption, especially with a deficit (whoops).

Article with quote

"I mean, we weren't physical enough in the ballgame," said coach Chan Gailey. "We have to be more physical."

That's true enough. For the second time in three games, the Bills were physically pounded by a New York City team. But they lost the intellectual war, too. Gailey has outfoxed several coaching icons this year. When he came up against Ryan, he blinked. The Jets made Mega Mind look more like Scatter Brain.

Also, a quote I hadn't heard elsewhere out of the mouth of Bart "they couldn't stop a nosebleed" "Can't Wait!" Scott:

"It was the same plays they ran last year," linebacker Bart Scott said. "They didn't put in any magic formula. It's all about executing. That's still a good football team. But it's dangerous when a team that traditionally hasn't won starts winning. You have to handle success."

He's right about needing to handle success, and that almost sounds more like well-meant advice than mockery. It also begs the question though: if we ran these plays to no success last year, why not try something different? (see "scatter brain" quote above)

That is all

Give me a flippin' break. If Tom Brady or Bill Belichick had said this, that's one thing -- and I would still hate it. But, Bart Scott? Really? Does he know he plays for the Jets, a team with zero winning tradition? And where is his Super Bowl ring?

He's been hanging around Rexy too long.

Give me a flippin' break. If Tom Brady or Bill Belichick had said this, that's one thing -- and I would still hate it. But, Bart Scott? Really? Does he know he plays for the Jets, a team with zero winning tradition? And where is his Super Bowl ring?

So... shut him the F--- up in three weeks. It's the only answer.

I'd kill to have a Bart Scott on this team. He's an excellent player, his teammates feed off of him and he's done as much as Rex has in instilling this "Us against the World" mentality that the Jets have.

They have talent, but they overachieve big time. The 2 times they've been to the AFC Championship, they really shouldn't have been there. But they play up.

I'd kill to have a Bart Scott on this team. He's an excellent player, his teammates feed off of him and he's done as much as Rex has in instilling this "Us against the World" mentality that the Jets have.

They have talent, but they overachieve big time. The 2 times they've been to the AFC Championship, they really shouldn't have been there. But they play up.

He's a good player, good for him. But, he isn't playing on a dynasty team, so he needs to quit it with the condescension. Go out and win 13 games in a season, win a division, or make a Super Bowl before you lecture someone else about a winning tradition, OK Bart?

In the Not For Long, how long does a winning tradition have to be? I think 3 years or so is probably the half-life of the typical NFL player?

The Jets have had winning records for 3 years and have been to the AFC championship game the last 2 years.

That's hella more winning tradition than the Bills have had in the last decade.

You can hate it, but like Gailey said: if you don't like it, do something about it. Half the season is left.

I hope the Pats come into the Meadowlands mad as hell from their Giant whuppin' this week and quietly kick the Jets a**.

Belicheck generally doesn't allow more than 1 loss in sequence and his players will be eating standing up all week.

I don't know. You can run all the end arounds and flea flicker gadget plays you want, but the vast majority of the time a team with players that are overmatched as much as the Bills were yesterday is going to lose. Period. :sick:

I wasn't speaking of gadget plays. There are a lot of solid plays we have had success with that stayed on the shelf yesterday in favor of down-the-sideline-to-Jones or down-the-sideline-to-Freddie.

Caveat: from what I have seen, and I didn't see the whole game.

In the Not For Long, how long does a winning tradition have to be? I think 3 years or so is probably the half-life of the typical NFL player?

The Jets have had winning records for 3 years and have been to the AFC championship game the last 2 years.

That's hella more winning tradition than the Bills have had in the last decade.

Wait a minute, who is comparing the winning tradition of the Jets to the Bills? I brought up Brady/Belichick. If either one of those guys chooses to be a condescending you-know-what, I will hate it, but I have to deal with it. They have the hardware and prolonged success to back it up.

But, I'm not going to sit by and say, "He has a right!" when Bart Scott is gonna patronize any NFL team when the team he plays for is the Jets. Three straight winning years you say? The first of those three, the Jets missed the playoffs after going 1-4 down the stretch with Favre. In 2009, they needed CPR in the form of a gift from Bill Polian's Colts to rally and make the playoffs. And, they haven't been hallowed enough to win a division title or make a Super Bowl in that time.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. You wanna whoop it up and giggle on the sidelines after beating the Bills? Fine, you have the right. But, shelve the lecture on "winning". He hasn't earned the right to deliver it.

I would disagree about Gailey's performance. I thought the way he coached the game was borderline brilliant. I will explain this in another post, but be assured, everyone who criticizes Gailey for yesterday's performance just isn't seeing the big picture. We had two terrible unfortunate plays in the third quarter - the FJ fumble and the BS pass interference that both lead to Jets touchdowns, neither of which Gailey could control in the slightest. Take away those 2 plays and we are talking about a 2 point margin - and we very well may be having a much different discussion right now.

Why do people need everything to be the end of the world? That's what you get for thinking we had to win that game.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

I would disagree about Gailey's performance. I thought the way he coached the game was borderline brilliant. I will explain this in another post, but be assured, everyone who criticizes Gailey for yesterday's performance just isn't seeing the big picture.

Apparently Gailey would disagree with you, since in his post-game presser he takes responsibility for not being "cleaner" with the plays he designed (whatever "cleaner" means in this context) and not having properly prepared the players for the game.

That would make....Gailey?.....one of the guys who just isn't seeing the big picture.

I think he elaborated that jets will have defenders play out of their normal position a lot (Ie safety where you'd expect linebacker). And he should have emlhasized bills just treat them the same, not get distracted or try to make adjustments based on it.

I would disagree about Gailey's performance. I thought the way he coached the game was borderline brilliant. I will explain this in another post, but be assured, everyone who criticizes Gailey for yesterday's performance just isn't seeing the big picture. We had two terrible unfortunate plays in the third quarter - the FJ fumble and the BS pass interference that both lead to Jets touchdowns, neither of which Gailey could control in the slightest. Take away those 2 plays and we are talking about a 2 point margin - and we very well may be having a much different discussion right now.

Why do people need everything to be the end of the world? That's what you get for thinking we had to win that game.

I'm interested in a sympathetic perspective on gaileys performance. Can you post ?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Apparently Gailey would disagree with you, since in his post-game presser he takes responsibility for not being "cleaner" with the plays he designed (whatever "cleaner" means in this context) and not having properly prepared the players for the game.

That would make....Gailey?.....one of the guys who just isn't seeing the big picture.

Or could just be a good coach trying to deflect the blame from his players so they can concentrate on the cowgirls.

Sorry, don't buy it....The "smoke and mirror" Gailey show doesn't work against solid defenses, Cincy, the Giants and Jets all proved that.

Jets deferred.

The first series 3 downs and PUNT

The second series 2 downs, false start, 1st down pass, 3 downs and PUNT

The third series 3 downs and PUNT

The fourth series 3 downs, encroachment, INT

The Fifth series 7 plays (mostly shotgun) incomplete pass to end the Bills 1st half.

No offense, but borderline brilliant 1st half ? Literally, no offense

The sixth series ( 2nd half) 3 downs and PUNT

The seventh series FJ Fumble

The 8th series 8 plays FG, Bills 3 pts

The ninth series 8 plays, 4th and one, no gain! turnover on downs

the Tenth series 13 plays running the no huddle-TD Bills + 2 point conversion

on side kick, penalty on Spiller...Jets ball

The Buffalo defense kept the Bills in this game for 3 QTRs, the offense sunk up the field for those 3 QTRs I'd say scatter brain was a good summation

BTW, time of possession 37:52 jets 22:08 Bills

Edited by Fear the Beard

Or could just be a good coach trying to deflect the blame from his players so they can concentrate on the cowgirls.

That is not the impression I get of Gailey.

From what I've seen Gailey shoots straight and when he feels the team played badly or failed to execute, he says as much.

Both things can be equally true.

There's no question that Gailey is an accountable person and he's been holding himself accountable for the Jets loss.

It's also possible that his approach is contrived to help preserve the psyche of a young team and get them thinking forward.

Also, it can sometimes be (if the coach doesn't become an enabler) that when he takes the bullet for his players, that they play harder for him next time.

As a very experienced football coach, I'd bet Gailey saw lots of benefit and little downside to taking responsibility for the loss.

I wasn't speaking of gadget plays. There are a lot of solid plays we have had success with that stayed on the shelf yesterday in favor of down-the-sideline-to-Jones or down-the-sideline-to-Freddie.

Caveat: from what I have seen, and I didn't see the whole game.

The first 3rd down of the game we ran a slant to Jackson and he was tackled a yard short of the 1st. The interception at the end of the half was a quick/short crossing pattern. We ran misdirection runs between the tackles. We ran the shotgun spread. We threw intermediate stuff over the middle. In other words we ran all of the stuff that we've run with success the whole year. The deep balls down the sideline were basically change-up adjustments to our bread & butter not working, and one of them to Stevie set up our only meaningful points of the game. And if the refs were consistent for both teams in their ticky tack PI calls, the deep throw to Freddie could've gained big yardage too.

Edited by BuffOrange

Is it a surprise that the Bills struggle against more physical teams? This is the reason they wanted to get 'bigger'. Look at the teams that the Bills have had difficulty with and it's the teams that are physical.

Not 'good' teams, but 'good, physical' teams.

Yeah, after the game everyone has the answers. From reading this board you'd think that half of the people on here could have coached this team to victory. Laughable, really.

I don't buy that we can't matchup with the teams who beat us. We've beaten teams who on paper should seemingly win easily. I'd wager that if we played the Bengals again we would beat them. The Giants have one of the best records in the league and are thus far dominating their division. We played hand in hand with them fine, and our loss largely came down to a misjudged pass down the sideline. It seemed like our D was gonna have us down a lot, but after the FG block we came back with a nice long drive to tie it up.

This was the first game that we flat out lost big (and even this was only 16 points), but I think it was mostly an unusually bad day for us and for some reason being too timid to play the game with guts, perhaps over-thinking it. I absolutely know that we can hang with the Jets, they're not exactly an all-around elite team. They just shine in a few areas, and so do we.