Darius - time to consider playing to his strengths...

Kipers Hair

Why would he be way more comfortable playing inside when he played his whole college career as a 34 End? Everyone looked awesome yesterday it wasn't just Marcell.

You are right that he has played predominantly at end, but he lined up as NT for the Tide on 3rd and long situations because he was better at rushing the passer than Cody who is more the prototypical wide-bodied run stuffer. Dareus is the complete package and when healthy is an upgrade to whatever D-Line position they place him on. He also played in a pro-style defense so he came in being well versed in running stunts and moving inside and outside.

Cody went to the Ravens who always place a premium on having very good players on their defensive line and Cody is no slouch. Kind of scary how talented that Crimson Tide defensive front was.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.) A 3-4 DE doesn't play "inspace" - they generally are covered by an OLB. (that would be a 4-3 DE that plays "inspace")

2.) as many other have pointed out it is DarEus

3.) If you really did watch the games you would see lots of 4 man fronts, You can tell they are 4 man fronts because Kelsay has his hand on the ground as DE with DarEus next to him on the inside, :flirt:

4.) This thread is just one giant fail. :thumbdown:

I don't want to knock someone just trying to comment and be positive on how they changed things up with Dareus. He was lined up as NT on plays and I would have to look at the defense more closely than I did and break down each play to see how and if they used him differently. Like most teams the Bills use a 4-man front often especially when they feel they are facing the run, but as the Skins abandoned the run more guys were standing up, stunting and blitzing. It was a feeding frenzy and Dareus can play NT as well as DT or DE. He is a beast off the edge or straight-up bull rushing.

Probably the biggest change was getting injured players off the field; I don't question Merriman, or Kyle's heart and work ethic, but they definately were not bringing their A-game and it is better to let our healthy bench players take snaps than have our best players out there with their F game.

You are right that he has played predominantly at end, but he lined up as NT for the Tide on 3rd and long situations because he was better at rushing the passer than Cody who is more the prototypical wide-bodied run stuffer. Dareus is the complete package and when healthy is an upgrade to whatever D-Line position they place him on. He also played in a pro-style defense so he came in being well versed in running stunts and moving inside and outside.

Cody went to the Ravens who always place a premium on having very good players on their defensive line and Cody is no slouch. Kind of scary how talented that Crimson Tide defensive front was.

Cody came out a year before dareus. From the tide games I saw last season w/o Cody, dareus played mostly in the middle.

True. We should have drafted Cody too. Dareus may be better for us at the nose thus allowing him to makes plays on both sides of the field. However We need to give it more time though as they say one game is not a trend.

Cody came out a year before dareus. From the tide games I saw last season w/o Cody, dareus played mostly in the middle.

Yep.

He has good lateral movement and can play the edge, but since he is so fast off the ball and so strong and has such a good push he really causes a lot of problems for every QB that wants to take a 3-step drop and step into a throw. And he is no slouch diagnosing midline runs, delays/draws, and middle screens and getting off the block to make the stop. Solid early pick for the Bills - finally.

Did everyone listen to Chan's presser when asked about Dareus playing in the middle. He said that he would have to look because they move him all around - with him drawing the double teams it makes our stunts that much more effective for the others on the line. If he lines up over either center gap he forces them to commit a guard to help the center or he beats them.

The kid is a force where ever they play him and I am not putting down the rest of the D-Line, I am sure they know unusual talent when they see it.

What really suprises me is his sideline pursuit; Chasing down QB's, how can a guy that big move so damn fast?

• 3 weeks later...

Bills played mainly a 4-3 against Miami on 1st and 2nd downs, and we bottled up that run game very very good. That is def a bright spot for the future, I can see us taking away most running games with those 2 in the middle, making it easier for everyone on run downs. If we can add a quality CB and OLB and make teams one dimensional, we can have a special D, teams would kill to have 2 studs like that on their line, hopefully Nix realizes this and makes the right personnel choices because these oppurtunities dont come around too often.