October Snowstorm in NY/NE

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been w/o power since Saturday afternoon.

With low temps that dipped to 26* the other night, we are one of the lucky ones. We heat with a wood stove ordinarily, so that's no biggie (despite some repairs that have to be made on the cap but the mason said it'll be OK until he gets here). Also have an old generator banging around that had to be coaxed into working but as I type, it's firing away outside my window.

We invited my neighbor over that night it dipped to 26, as she just has oil/electric but she toughed it out in bed with her dog and a pile of blankets. No pictures forthcoming, but I will say she could pass for Stana Katic's sister (it's a good general rule not to dip the pen in neighborly ink. If it goes bad, the consequences can get downright tragic.)

So, we're getting by a lot better than others and I do count my blessings / am glad we're prepared. Gotta handle it with a good dose of grace. Mustn't grumble!

They're saying it may be as long as another week until it gets to the residential areas, especially here at the end of the line.

We've been w/o power since Saturday afternoon.

People off the coast got slammed down here in Ffld County. We were back online pretty quickly, but I spent one night tending the fire!

Edited by KD in CT

Been out since Saturday night and still out - Nation Grid estimates that I'll be restored by Thursday night at 8PM but in looking at their outage map that date/time lokos to simply be a placeholder for - "you're last - don't really know the date/time".

I have 2 small kids and we've had to be in hotels - at $200 a night it is rackinig up, plus all the food I'm going to have to replace. This will cost me over a grand when all is said and done (because in these times, who DOESN'T have a spare $1000 laying around?). My son has a heart condition and now he's sick and nobody at the power company gives a S#!t. Saying you have a medical need for power means nothing to them. They go out of their way to tell you that they are not obligated to pay for anything, even when you aren't asking for money - they know they're not on the hook for it so they don't care - they just tell you to go pound sand.

I wish I knew the president's address - I'd go over to her house, ring the bell and tell her we are switching house until she gets this all fixed - maybe then I'd get some power. Kids are on their third snow day today - probably out again tomorrow - looks like they'll be in school until July this year.

It would feel so good to just go kick someone's ass right now - so many candidates, so little time....

Edited by The Avenger

$200/night? What hotel? Are they price gouging?

Suburban Boston - not a cheap place. IF you can even get a hotel (Tonight I'll be in my thrid hotel in 4 nights) you get tagged for about $179/night at the Courtyard Marriott - add the taxes an you get to $200. Mind you, I still have to go to work every morning, so I can't get a cheap hotel 100 miles away.....

Suburban Boston - not a cheap place. IF you can even get a hotel (Tonight I'll be in my thrid hotel in 4 nights) you get tagged for about $179/night at the Courtyard Marriott - add the taxes an you get to $200. Mind you, I still have to go to work every morning, so I can't get a cheap hotel 100 miles away.....

Marriot? Now it makes sense. Have you checked out Comfort Inn? There's one south of Boston on Morrisey Blvd for $129/night.

Marriot? Now it makes sense. Have you checked out Comfort Inn? There's one south of Boston on Morrisey Blvd for $129/night.

That's a 2 hour drive through the city for me to get back to get the kids to school - I'm north (where all the power is out). Unfortuantely this isn't WNY where you might be able to find something for $79/night - believe me, we are just happy to HAVE a hotel - I wanted to act the night the power went out and when I waited until the next morning I went through about 10 hotels until I found one with availability, otherwise we'd be on cots at a shelter. I am so miserable right now and the power company seriously makes me want to do bodily harm to someone right now.

Check your insurance policy - you may be able to recoup some.

Along with the cost of the food in your frige / freezer.

Strategic company that I deal with in CT has been without power since the start. CT Light and Power site says that power will be restored approx Sun 6Nov. I'm going to have some part shortages by then.

Strategic company that I deal with in CT has been without power since the start. CT Light and Power site says that power will be restored approx Sun 6Nov. I'm going to have some part shortages by then.

A buddy of mine has been through this before - he tells me I'll probably get money for the food but not the hotel, but I'm going to check. Not looking forward to cleaning out and documenting all that stuff. I called the town to see if they were going to have a special spoiled food pickup (some towns have done that) - they said no. When I asked about the extra garbage this was going to produce (we are only allowed 2 32 gallon barrels a week - after that you must buy special garbage bags from the town at $2 each) she checked with the town manager - he said they would not waive the overage. I wonder if he ever realized he is an elected official and such a kick to the nads is probably something you'll remember come election day - just ask Bloomberg or Richard Daley what gets voters more pissed off than anything and they'll tell you it's response to a storm - screw that up and you're dead.

A buddy of mine has been through this before - he tells me I'll probably get money for the food but not the hotel, but I'm going to check. Not looking forward to cleaning out and documenting all that stuff. I called the town to see if they were going to have a special spoiled food pickup (some towns have done that) - they said no. When I asked about the extra garbage this was going to produce (we are only allowed 2 32 gallon barrels a week - after that you must buy special garbage bags from the town at $2 each) she checked with the town manager - he said they would not waive the overage. I wonder if he ever realized he is an elected official and such a kick to the nads is probably something you'll remember come election day - just ask Bloomberg or Richard Daley what gets voters more pissed off than anything and they'll tell you it's response to a storm - screw that up and you're dead.

I hear OWS is taking food donations.

Power's still out, but the generator's still going. Lost phone/Internet for most of today, but that's mostly a convenience thing.... We brought the neighbor a pair of oil-filled radiators that we had at a campground close by (she was able to get a generator via her family). And I got a kiss.... from her dog. :P

That's Crooks, Looters & Plunderers.

Meh.... Just throw it in the Charles!