I know it's early but Next year's draft ...

MClem06

So Big Cat , how do you correct a defense that ranks as low as they do in pass and run? If we are so good at the pass rush why are we having teams put up 400 yard games against us consecutively? We obviously do not have the right scheme or the right skill players right? That includes pass rush and getting pressure on the opposing QB.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The offense seems to be a minor tweek or two away, so building a DOMINANT defense is job number one to me! The draft always dictates selections based on how the teams ahead decide to draft. The big, game breaker at WR might very well be there when we pick, but overall, especially in our division, a big nasty, mobile, defense is the ticket!!! Unfortunately, the draft doesn't seem to be loaded at OLB, unless the undersized DE's are able to make coversions. A Marcell Dareus clone opposite from him would do wonders for the base "D" because Dwan Edwards can be replaced in the not too distant future. I agree that CB is also a concern, but veteran help could bolster this aspect nicely.

Big Cat I agree to an extent. I understand and agree that we are not "invisible" with our pass rush but we aren't exactly killing offensive lines either. With that said I do feel that a DOMINANT pass rusher (if available) where ever we pick in the upcoming draft of available should be taken. We have a more than solid offense, solid enough o-line (regardless of what many think or at least thought), and our Dline is good enough. Our biggest needs are CB and a stud OLB or 3/4 DE and I think a stud pass rusher makes a bigger impact because he can stop the run as well as rip QBs heads off on any particular play.

1st OLB/DE (if available)

2nd Stud WR (if available)

3rd CB

4th ILB

4th OT or ILB (whichever has better value)

5th CB

6th ILB

7th OLB

Watch them a 3rd time maybe? There is no pass rush on this team. Yes the Eagles game they got some guys through on Blitz's but the line creates absolutely no rush to speak of.

If you blitz mike vick, he beats you with his legs.

I would say that their needs rank in this order. Whether they want to address them in the draft or free agency is up to them:

- Pass rusher: We need a force on the outside badly. Someone in the mold of Merriman, but younger and healthier.

- Wide Receiver: We have a very solid base with Stevie and Nelson as our core. But after that it goes steeply down hill. We need a real threat on the outside that will draw double teams. I hope we draft a guy high at this position.

- Offensive Tackle: Bell has turned out to be a pretty good starter for us. But he hasn't proven he can stay healthy for a full season. And Hairston looks like he could be a very good tackle for our team as well. Pears has done well, but the jury is still out there. If these guys all pan out, we could still use some depth here anyways.

- Cornerback: Yes, we need another guy here again. McGee appears to be approaching the end of his career, and McKelvin has been pretty inconsistent. Need high quality depth.

- Tight End: I still cringe when I think about us passing on Gronkowski in the draft a couple years ago. We could really use an athletic TE on this team. Chandler has been a pleasant surprise, but he has limited speed and athleticism. Most good teams have two solid guys at this position, and we should strongly consider it also.

Drafting in that order right now, you would have picked:

RD1: Donte Paige-Moss OLB34 North Carolina or Jared Crick DE34 Nebraska

RD2: Jeff Fuller WRF Texas A&M or Mohamed Sanu WRF Rutgers

RD3: Brandon Mosley OT Auburn or Marcel Jones OT Nebraska

RD4: Keith Tandy CB West Virginia or George Bryan TE North Carolina State

RD4: Ladarius Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette or Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt

Drafting in that order right now, you would have picked:

RD1: Donte Paige-Moss OLB34 North Carolina or Jared Crick DE34 Nebraska

RD2: Jeff Fuller WRF Texas A&M or Mohamed Sanu WRF Rutgers

RD3: Brandon Mosley OT Auburn or Marcel Jones OT Nebraska

RD4: Keith Tandy CB West Virginia or George Bryan TE North Carolina State

RD4: Ladarius Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette or Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt

Getting Paige-Moss or Crick would be awesome, IMHO. I've seen Fuller a few times and his speed and hands were impressive. Haven't watched anybody else too closely. Watched the Auburn game a few weeks back, but Mosley didn't stand out. maybe a good thing for an OT....

Edited by VanCity

Watch them a 3rd time maybe? There is no pass rush on this team. Yes the Eagles game they got some guys through on Blitz's but the line creates absolutely no rush to speak of.

Gradually pushing your way back toward a QB who has plenty of time to sort thru his options is not pass rush. Rushing someone is making them act hurried and carelessly. The Bills do not do this to QB's and it's obviously their most significant deficiency on defense.

QB's who can't make quick decisions get hit a lot. Defenses that don't get to QB's quickly don't hit QB's a lot. It's that simple.

It's about time. It's not where the pass rush is when the QB eventually throws the ball, it's how quickly the pass rush gets to the QB.

When you start over-analyzing it like Big Cat, you can start making excuses just like fans did for blockheads like Rob Johnson and Losman and the skittish like Holcomb and Trent.

There are many ways to rush the passer, but the easiest is to get an edge rusher who can beat an OT quickly many times per game. The Bills don't have this. Their best pass rusher is Moats, who is an exceptional finisher, but he doesn't win enough one-on-one's to cause QB's to feel hurried.

Hopefully we make the playoffs this year so that means we'll be picking a little bit later in the first round than we are all used to, but this is what I would like to see us do when we do get on the board. Just based off of the average "power ranking" just say we pick 24th in the draft. This is what I would like to see us do:

1. Vinny Curry / OLB / Marshall - This guy has good size, is explosive off the snap, and knows how to get to the QB. Fits the need for a pass rusher.

2. Xavier Rhodes / CB / Florida St. - He's a big, physical, and agile CB at 6'2 215lbs. He's not going to run a 4.4 forty, more like a 4.45-4.5, but this guy can cover.

3. Brandon Lindsay / OLB / Pitt - Playing defensive end now, but has the skill-set to play OLB in the 3-4.

4a. Ricky Wagner / OT / Wisconsin - Good all around OT who plays with a mean streak. Not only makes initial blocks, but gets to the 2nd level in the running game.

4b. Kendall Reyes / DE / UConn - He plays DT right now, but would be a perfect fit at DE in our 3-4. He can hold the point of attack against the run and has a solid pass rush game.

After that just going BPA depending on who is left. Heavy defense again. If the guys we got in the 2011 draft progress nicely and these guys play effective our defense will turn into a feared unit.

That would be 10% too little.

LOL

Anyone who has watched them play this year knows this defense still needs a significant upgrade of talent if the Bills are going to be a serious playoff competetor. Suggesting the Bills have had a decent pass rush this season is laughable. They've looked good in brief spurts (like the first half against Cincy), but have completely disappeared for long stretches as teams have marched up and down the field against them.

The offense seems to be a minor tweek or two away, so building a DOMINANT defense is job number one to me! The draft always dictates selections based on how the teams ahead decide to draft. The big, game breaker at WR might very well be there when we pick, but overall, especially in our division, a big nasty, mobile, defense is the ticket!!! Unfortunately, the draft doesn't seem to be loaded at OLB, unless the undersized DE's are able to make coversions. A Marcell Dareus clone opposite from him would do wonders for the base "D" because Dwan Edwards can be replaced in the not too distant future. I agree that CB is also a concern, but veteran help could bolster this aspect nicely.

Name a "DOMINANT" defense this season? You can't. There aren't any, and likely won't be any because the league rules favor wide-open football. And they still have to keep pace with the other offenses in the league.

The Bills need to improve the defense of course, but using their first pick on the 4th or 5th best pass rushing linebacker (a position with high bust rate) might not be the best path. Many of the guys I see mentioned (Courtney Upshaw? Someone thinks that guy will still be on the board!?) won't be available when the Bills pick, so they likely will choose the BPA.

They surely need more linebackers if they are going to stay 3-4. I expect them to choose one in the 1st or 2nd rd.

I trust that the Bills will know what to do in the draft. I think Buffalo will be much more palatable to free agents than it has been in the past, so I hope they land at least one difference maker through FA.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

lol, I love this idea of a pass rush that gets consistent pressure but no sacks

it's right there with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. so quaint

i mean, the Bills have 4 sacks. The Chiefs have 6 sacks. The rest of the NFL has at least 10 sacks. what the hell are we talking about here?