Positional Needs for DraftTek

Astrobot

To me it seems like the Bills opponents have been using the pass to set up the run. The Bills seem to be fine if they are concentrating on stopping the run. They need to get more pressure on the QB first and foremost. It's obvious that is their biggest weakness. I don't think a nose tackle or ILB is a high priority.

The offense is working pretty well, I would say that while it's nice to have a great line, I don't think it's at a stage where they need to spend their top picks on an O-lineman. Even the wideouts seem good if healthy (and I don't expect them to always have so many WR's out).

A "special" WR might be nice, but a guy like that would likely be gone before the Bills pick. A Calvin Johnson type guy is unlikely to be available in the last third of the first round.

I can't see how anyone makes up draft lists that go "4th priority-4th rd., 5th priority 5th rd., 6th priority 6th rd." etc. That's just silliness. Beyond the first couple rounds teams are just trying to get the best guys on the board.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

1) OLB

The need of a pass rusher is pretty obvious, and in this defense, the easiest way to generate that pass rush is from the OLB position. To this point, Merriman isn't getting it done. This is clearly their top need, IMO.

2) CB

It helped that they drafted Aaron Williams last year, but the Bills' top 2 CBs are both on the wrong side of 30 and McKelvin has been a disappointment. Considering that they play the Patriots twice a year, not to mention how the NFL is becoming more and more pass happy every year, I think they'd be wise to invest in another CB in R2 or 3 this year.

3) WR

Aside from Steve Johnson and perhaps David Nelson...and in spite of the preseason hype...this group isn't much. The rest are a dime a dozen. Factor in injuries and we're down to CJ Spiller as the 3rd WR. Ouch. As the season wears on, I think this is a position that will become more and more obvious as a point of weakness and the offense will suffer because of it.

They could also use a quality TE prospect, like that will ever happen.

1. OLB

2. D-Line

3. O-Line

I would be ok with them drafting nothing else but these positions...

These are the positions that would make us a better football team. Sprinkle in some bargains at other positions (hopefully from the Crimson Tide), and we would (imo) immediately have a very good football team.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would not make any adjustments to this.

For the number of DBs taken by this team it's just silly that CB is still a concensus need.

I hear ya, but I think it's obvious that our secondary has been so pathetic over the last few years directly as a result of our lack of pass rush during the same period. Our secondary will never improve until we improve the pass rush, so addressing the secondary w/o addressing the pass rush will continue to result in wasted picks at corner.

Positions to fill by importance, imo:

1. OLB

2. WR

3. DE

4. CB

5. OL

Edited by bobobonators

Are you guys projecting FSU DE BRandon Jenkins as a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 rush OLB? He really could go either way, since he goes about 6'3" and 265 lbs. Also, where are you projecting him?

http://www.drafttek.com/BigBoardPg1.asp

He's #14 on our Big Board. We have him as a 3-4 rush OLB in the pros.

A "special" WR might be nice, but a guy like that would likely be gone before the Bills pick. A Calvin Johnson type guy is unlikely to be available in the last third of the first round.

I disagree. If the draft were tomorrow (it won't be), here would be the choice for the Bills at #24, where the DraftTek analysts have Buffalo this week:

Andrew Datko OT Florida State (#4 OT behind Kalil, Martin, Adcock)

D. Paige-Moss OLB34 UNC (the #2 3-4 OLB behind Brandon Jenkins)

Jared Crick DE34 Nebraska (the #1 3-4DE)

Michael Floyd WRF Notre Dame (the #3 WR behind Jeffery and Broyles)

Edited by Astrobot

This is how I would rate the Bills needs

1- OLB- Unless Merriman develops we need a pass rush who can also cover decently, and even if Merriman is something close to lights out again, I don't see Kelsay as the answer either.

2- CB- Even if McKelvin and Williams develop Florence and McGee are older players. Its a passing league you need quality DB's.

3- WR- Stevie is a number one, Nelson is a great slot guy, Jones is a decent deep threat, and Roosevelt is a solid 5th WR. But this team lacks a deep threat.

4- MLB - Sheppard looks like he can be a player, but Barnett is 30 and both Davis and Morrison are 30+. We need to start getting a replacement.

Less important needs

1- RG - O-line hasn't been much of an issue but I think that we could look into an upgrade at RG. Also depth is so key on the o-line.

2- DE - Dwan Edwards is putting together a nice season but he is an older player and unless Carrington develops we could need to groom a replacement.

3- Tight End - Chandler looks solid but maybe getting a more dynamic second TE option both for depth and a different look could work.

4- RB - Maybe look into a between the tackles runner as depth Freddie is over 30.

5- QB - Fitz will be 30 next season and he has good years left in him but if a prospect that you can't pass up is there its worth consideration.

Of course the way this season plays out will determine the needs going forward. But I have to say OLB, MLB, CB, and WR are key positions of need.

I hear ya, but I think it's obvious that our secondary has been so pathetic over the last few years directly as a result of our lack of pass rush during the same period. Our secondary will never improve until we improve the pass rush, so addressing the secondary w/o addressing the pass rush will continue to result in wasted picks at corner.

Bravo!!!!!

OL needs to be addressed in rds1-3, if not FA.  Bell, Urbik and Pears are all ufa.  That being said, dominant pass rusher needs to be added, preferably at OLB.  CB is next in line in my book followed by TE (chandlers a FA too) and DT.  Adding a WR late might be something to think about.  I feel fitz will be resigned and would pass on a qb, unless a good one slipped and we got great value.<br /><br />

<br />This is how I would rate the Bills needs<br /><br />1- OLB- Unless Merriman develops we need a pass rush who can also cover decently, and even if Merriman is something close to lights out again, I don't see Kelsay as the answer either. <br />2- CB- Even if McKelvin and Williams develop Florence and McGee are older players. Its a passing league you need quality DB's. <br />3- WR- Stevie is a number one, Nelson is a great slot guy, Jones is a decent deep threat, and Roosevelt is a solid 5th WR. But this team lacks a deep threat. <br />4- MLB - Sheppard looks like he can be a player, but Barnett is 30 and both Davis and Morrison are 30+. We need to start getting a replacement. <br /><br />Less important needs<br /><br />1- RG - O-line hasn't been much of an issue but I think that we could look into an upgrade at RG. Also depth is so key on the o-line. <br />2- DE - Dwan Edwards is putting together a nice season but he is an older player and unless Carrington develops we could need to groom a replacement. <br />3- Tight End - Chandler looks solid but maybe getting a more dynamic second TE option both for depth and a different look could work. <br />4- RB - Maybe look into a between the tackles runner as depth Freddie is over 30. <br />5- QB - Fitz will be 30 next season and he has good years left in him but if a prospect that you can't pass up is there its worth consideration. <br /><br />Of course the way this season plays out will determine the needs going forward. But I have to say OLB, MLB, CB, and WR are key positions of need.<br />
. You think we should address MLB before OL (3 starters are FA)?  I don't think we should be drafting a MLB to groom for 2 years in this situation.<br /><br />1-OLB- we need pass rush, duh.<br />2-CB-  as you said, McGee and Florence won't be around forever.  Williams looks promising, but will he be a #1?  Mckelvin is serviceable, but easily replaceable.<br />3-OL (which position depends on what we do with Bell, Pears and Urbik)<br />Rounds 4-7-TE, WR, OL, DL,CB.

God, this <br things are annoying. iPad ftl

Edited by NewEra

<br /><br />. ? <br /><br />1-OLB- we need pass rush, duh.<br />2-CB-replaceable.<br />3-OL (which position depends on what we do with Bell, Pears and Urbik)<br />Rounds 4-7-TE, WR, OL, DL,CB.

God, this <br things are annoying. iPad ftl

New Era, after this last post of yours I have to admit I've lost a lot of respect for your football knowledge.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

As of right now, buffalo is in a good place for a best player available scenario. I'd like that player to be a corner or pass rushing olb. I'd like to address this in free agency prior to the draft too.

4. QB (I still believe they need a franchise guy, but it's a lower priority than the rest right now -- but if one of the QBs in the draft slip down to the 20-32 range in round one where the Bills will be, I'd be all for grabbing him and sitting him behind Fitz for 2 years.)

If they can address those areas in the draft or FA I'd be a happy guy.

Disagree. They already have the Franchise Guy. But if the Bills draft best guy on their board, nothing is there to say you're wrong, expect I expect alot of Angry Bills fans if Fitz gets resigned and we draft a first round QB...

Here's what I'm getting from you for this week's DraftTek Consensus Mock.

P1=a pass-rushing 3-4 OLB. The computer will take this position in RD1 UNLESS the next best player is too much of a reach. In that case, it takes a P2, and so on.

P2=a lockdown corner.

P2=an edge-sealing 3-4 RDE to play opposite Dareus.

P3=a tackle if they don't give contracts to Bell, Pears and Urbik. Keep it P3 for now.

P3=a featured wide receiver (WRF) as opposed to a speed guy (WRS) or a possession guy (WRP).

P3=another 3-4DT, although you saw the Bills' moves --we have 2 DT's on the PS now.

P3=a QB to learn from Fitz.

P4's=WRS, RT, RG, LG, TE, DE4-3, FS, SS

All other positions are P6 or P9

I can live with this, even though I expected more QB and TE talk, and maybe FS. Also, you could talk me into a WRS at P4 to replace Parrish and stretch the field...

Duly submitted. They'll likely run the mock tonight, with all 32 teams doing this same thing. This is done in fun. If it stops being fun, Ben and Jerry say you should stop doing it. --Astro

http://www.drafttek.com/BigBoardPg1.asp

He's #14 on our Big Board. We have him as a 3-4 rush OLB in the pros.

I disagree. If the draft were tomorrow (it won't be), here would be the choice for the Bills at #24, where the DraftTek analysts have Buffalo this week:

Andrew Datko OT Florida State (#4 OT behind Kalil, Martin, Adcock)

D. Paige-Moss OLB34 UNC (the #2 3-4 OLB behind Brandon Jenkins)

Jared Crick DE34 Nebraska (the #1 3-4DE)

Michael Floyd WRF Notre Dame (the #3 WR behind Jeffery and Broyles)

Floyd will probably be there, but he is no Calvin Johnson, or a AJ Green, Julio Jones level prospect.