SIX GAME REPORT CARD

Six games in and here's my take on highlights and lowlights. On the plus side:

1. Chan Gailey. Not perfect but best coach since Wade Phillips (I guess that's not saying a lot). Best offensive mind since Marchibroda.

2. Offensive line. Wood an Levitre are playing at All-Pro levels. Bell, Urbik, Pears and Rinehart have all been solid. Hairston looks like next year's starting left or right tackle.

3. Fred Jackson. How many running backs did we waste a no.1 draft pick on while he was on the roster?

4. Fitzpatrick. Maybe not an elite QB but at worst a solid starter. Need to sign him to a contract.

5. The receivers. Without Evans, they have done well, thank you very much. If not for the injuries this would be a very strong group. Love David Nelson as a third down slot receiver. Need to sign Stevie to a contract.

6. Marcel Dareus. Already best front seven player.

7. Scott Chandler. Worried about the disappearing act over the last couple of weeks but solid. First capable TE in a long time.

8. Nick Barnett. Great pick-up. Huge upgrade over Poz.

9. Byrd and Wilson. Strong play from the safties.

The negatives:

1. George Edwards. I'm sorry but the defense has absolutely sucked for 1 and 1/2 years. Second half of the season is on him and his players.

2. McKelvin and Florence. Lack of a pass rush has hurt but they have taken turns being downright brutal.

3. Lack of a pass rush. Troup and Carrington have been disappointing. Where has Kyle Williams been? I really thought we stole Merriman after seeing him in preseason but I'm coming around to the view that he is basically done.

4. The Front Office. The team is making progress and it really looks like we have turned a corner but it's worrisome that we have so many potential free agents (Fitz, Stevie, Bell, Pears, Chandler). If we get our guys signed we can go into the off-season targeting a couple of areas of need and be a real contender next season. If the FO sits on its hands and we lose a bunch of free agents we're back to treading water.

Overall grade: B+. Great, exciting start to the season. There's a reason to hope for better things ahead!

I have to strongly disagree with you here. I love that we drafted him and love his overall potential and impact, but he has not been our best front seven player. Our best front 7 guy has been hands down Barnett and he deserves the credit...and Kyle Williams (even though he isnt having the same year he had last year) has been better than Dareus too thus far. I think Dareus is going to be great, but he isnt there yet.

I have to strongly disagree with you here. I love that we drafted him and love his overall potential and impact, but he has not been our best front seven player. Our best front 7 guy has been hands down Barnett and he deserves the credit...and Kyle Williams (even though he isnt having the same year he had last year) has been better than Dareus too thus far. I think Dareus is going to be great, but he isnt there yet.

I agree 100%. I'm a bit disappointed with Dareus so far. I was expecting more of an impact like Suh. So far he's done little to imptesss. I'm wondering if he is either: 1) Overwhelmed with being as to do too much as a rookie or 2.) better suited for an DT spot instead of DE.

i think you nailed it pretty good, but TO nitpick, i would give them a B, not a B+, just based on the fact the D could not make the stop , late, in the two losses. i think it rests on edwards, as you rightfully pointed out.

I fully respect the job Gailey has done but he could be even better in my eyes if he showed the cajones to admit his mistake and demote (or fire?) Edwards during this bye week and make Wannstedt the defensive coordinator.

I agree 100%. I'm a bit disappointed with Dareus so far. I was expecting more of an impact like Suh. So far he's done little to imptesss. I'm wondering if he is either: 1) Overwhelmed with being as to do too much as a rookie or 2.) better suited for an DT spot instead of DE.

Are you serious bro?

3. Fred Jackson. How many running backs did we waste a no.1 draft pick on while he was on the roster?

Two(though Lynch was selected before FJ's first season of play....so real answer is One)

2007 Lynch

2010 Spiller

I wonder about the role that Wannestedt has had so far in the season. Does he see an increase in responsibility after the awful start from the D?

Can anyone tell me exactly WHAT Wannstedt is doing? In net total yardage, Buffalo's defense is 31st. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see a whole lot of difference from his "mentoring" so far.

Yeah, I'm sick of seeing the guy constantly command the attention of 2 OL to open up lanes for the rest of the front 7, and even then beating them sometimes to make plays for a loss. The guy definitely looks like a rookie out there. <<

Can anyone tell me exactly WHAT Wannstedt is doing? In net total yardage, Buffalo's defense is 31st. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see a whole lot of difference from his "mentoring" so far.

Good thing the game is scored by the number of yards you give up, especially considering that big yards through the air often come when a defense is protecting a big lead.

Am I ecstatic about the D's performance? Hell, no. But I do think they look better. The front 7 has been impressive at times- unfortunately they have sometimes done the job when the secondary has failed at theirs. Getting to the QB is still a work in progress. But we are dealing with injuries to Kyle, McGee, merriman and Kelsay right now. Whatever you think of any of them, they are all veteran starters. Aaron Williams would have been an upgrade over Reggie Corner in many situations so far this year, even as a rookie. This will take time, but they are finally assembling some depth and talent on the D and I trust Wannstedt to help that process coalesce.

Six games in and here's my take on highlights and lowlights. On the plus side:

1. Chan Gailey. Not perfect but best coach since Wade Phillips (I guess that's not saying a lot). Best offensive mind since Marchibroda.

2. Offensive line. Wood an Levitre are playing at All-Pro levels. Bell, Urbik, Pears and Rinehart have all been solid. Hairston looks like next year's starting left or right tackle.

4. Fitzpatrick. Maybe not an elite QB but at worst a solid starter. Need to sign him to a contract.

5. The receivers. Without Evans, they have done well, thank you very much. If not for the injuries this would be a very strong group. Love David Nelson as a third down slot receiver. Need to sign Stevie to a contract.

7. Scott Chandler. Worried about the disappearing act over the last couple of weeks but solid. First capable TE in a long time.

8. Nick Barnett. Great pick-up. Huge upgrade over Poz.

9. Byrd and Wilson. Strong play from the safties.

The negatives:

1. George Edwards. I'm sorry but the defense has absolutely sucked for 1 and 1/2 years. Second half of the season is on him and his players.

2. McKelvin and Florence. Lack of a pass rush has hurt but they have taken turns being downright brutal.

3. Lack of a pass rush. Troup and Carrington have been disappointing. Where has Kyle Williams been? I really thought we stole Merriman after seeing him in preseason but I'm coming around to the view that he is basically done.

4. The Front Office. The team is making progress and it really looks like we have turned a corner but it's worrisome that we have so many potential free agents (Fitz, Stevie, Bell, Pears, Chandler). If we get our guys signed we can go into the off-season targeting a couple of areas of need and be a real contender next season. If the FO sits on its hands and we lose a bunch of free agents we're back to treading water.

Overall grade: B+. Great, exciting start to the season. There's a reason to hope for better things ahead!

agree on all . . . and I am very down on Edwards, I think a change needs to be made now. There is talent on this defense (on paper, they should have more to work with than the offense does), and it has been poor for a 1 1/2. As one personal already said, the time to change is ow while we still have a chance!