Anyone see the end of the Cowboys game?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Called habing a so so QB under center Vader and on 3rd and 18 just asking for him screw it up.

They could've passed on 2nd & 12.

What everyone is missing is that when it was tied 13-13 in the 4th quarter, the Cowboys played very conservatively in the red zone and settled for a FG. They did a shovel pass on 3rd and goal from the 8 despite the fact that the Pats had single coverage on Des Bryant. Jerry Jones was just as upset about that. That's the sort of playcalling that one can accurately call "playing not to lose."

That was a strange call. Definitely played it safe.

I've said on another thread last night, Dallas played not to win on that final drive.

Correct!

And it cost them the game.

Playing it safe sets you up to lose, and thats what happened to the Cowboys.

This is crazy. In other threads people are saying our defense getting turnovers against NE and not yesterday was a reason to be less aggressive vs the Giants. Others here are saying Brady being better than Eli was a reason to be less aggressive yesterday. And yet others are saying the Dallas game yesterday was different because they had the lead and were on their own side of the field (somehow a turnover is less costly in your own territory up 3 - that's a new one). I mean seriously.

Just get the charade over with and say this: "It wasn't the exact same situation. I have no clue why circumstances in this game dictated a more conservative approach, but it just did".

You throw in the cowboy situation to keep Brady off the field just like the bills took a knee before they kicked the FG to win.

I hate to break it to you Patsfan, Brady is great and all, but taking the knee for essentially a PAT as the clock expires is still optimal if the opposing QB is JP Losman.

Edited by BuffOrange

I hate to break it to you Patsfan, Brady is great and all, but taking the knee for essentially a PAT as the clock expires is still optimal if the opposing QB is JP Losman.

You ask ANY HC they tell you differently. They punch it int and trust the D stop an inferior QB.. But you have a Brady,Manning, or a Rogers you take the knee and kick the FG. ALWAYS about who your opponent is. (Mind u with a JP Loseman the game been a blow out anyways so lol)

Point very well made, PTR. :thumbsup:

I still hated the call. :nana:

I never said I was logical.

Rockpile, you're a respected poster around here (at least by those who have been around awhile), but Gailey's call on that fatal pick late was for a play that was there. I'd much rather take that shot than not. Stevie had single coverage and had his man beat. A good throw and it's a likely 6.....

the flaw was that Fitz threw up a turd.

You ask ANY HC they tell you differently. They punch it int and trust the D stop an inferior QB.. But you have a Brady,Manning, or a Rogers you take the knee and kick the FG. ALWAYS about who your opponent is. (Mind u with a JP Loseman the game been a blow out anyways so lol)

Not sure which part of "clock expiring" and "PAT distance" you don't understand; though I trust HCs always agree with you as supported by your 2nd guessing two of them today.

Not sure which part of "clock expiring" and "PAT distance" you don't understand; though I trust HCs always agree with you as supported by your 2nd guessing two of them today.

2nd guessing??? find one post where I thought Gailey made the wrong call? All I said ever was there is a BIG difference in play calling when your playing a future HOF like Brady and a lesser QB like Eli Manning.

As for the Cowboys, maybe 2nd down they should thrown it 9Vader had a point) but 3rd and 18 your asking for a mistake so was the right call..

So find someone else who was calling the plays wrong, but better luck next time :P

I thought the same thing PTR... I have to say that my knee-jerk reaction was to get upset with Chan for calling the pass down there, but that is the way this team has played all year and it is the reason they are so good in the red zone - because they don't go into a conservative, predictable shell.

I think that route to Stevie was a fairly safe play if it wasn't so horrendously underthrown.

He had the single coverage he wanted and the separation he needed, Fitz just did not put enough juice in his throw. If he had actually lead Stevie we would all be talking about the win and what our defense needs to do to get better.

Wow, so the guys on Monday Night Countdown- Mike Ditka, Chris Carter, Boomer...They're all saying that obviously the Cowboys don't know how to play NE. But Carter made the point that they don't know how to play late games, because you don't run the ball and put it in your D's hands in today's NFL, you go aggressive and throw the ball to put the game out of reach. Gee...Why can't anyone else see this?

I see all the comments about how the Bills should have run the ball more at the end. The Cowboys must read TBD because that's exactly what they did with 4 minutes left and a 3 point lead. No brainer, right? Football 101, right? How did that work out?

PTR

The Bills were facing the Giants not Brady.

Umm not hurt your point but Eli Manning IS NOT anywhere near the same caliber QB as Brady. You throw in the cowboy situation to keep Brady off the field just like the bills took a knee before they kicked the FG to win.

With Eli you MAKE him beat you, I doubt few thought Brady wasnt going to at least get a FG w the amount time left if not the TD.

Love this post! :flirt:

Tell me again which QB came from behind to beat the other one with a minute to play in the Super Bowl? Bwhahahahaha!

Bottom line is, Gailey obviously understands about running the clock down and kicking a FG. Re-watch the end of the Pats game if you don't believe me.

He knows Fitz is not an accurate passer better than we do. He also was well aware of the wind affecting the pass as well as any FG attempt. He made what he believed was the call that gave his team the best chance of winning. It didn't work out this time. If Fitz throws it better the Bills win and more threads appear proclaiming Gailey an offensive genius. Such is life at TBD.