Edward's gameplan

Last week the Bills did a ton of A gap blitzing that helped create turnovers. This week... none?

Last week the Bills played Wilson in man on the TE? This week Ballard ran free and exploited zones.

Last week the Bills played a ton of C2 man and took away everything deep. This week cover 1 and zone?

With Merriman, Kelsay and Williams out why the hell wouldn't you manufacture some pressure and force a mistake prone QB into bad throws. I was getting flashbacks of Brady shaving his belly in the pocket before he fired a TD pass untouched. Obviously Florence couldn't handle Hicks (Who can?) but they kept leaving him out there on an island to get roasted. For the most part I'm very happy with the teams performance through 6 weeks but Edwards continues to baffle me. The last 2 weeks they have played a ton of 3-4 so why not use it to create confusion and pressure? IMO, Edwards has been shaky at best.

With Merriman, Kelsay and Williams out why the hell wouldn't you manufacture some pressure and force a mistake prone QB into bad throws. ..... Edwards continues to baffle me.

I said the exact same thing in the game thread regarding manufacturing pressure with Williams out.

What baffles me the most is the one week Edwards has gone ahead and released the hounds was the game against a QB who you don't necessarily want to flush.

I just don't understand this guy's thought process.

I said the exact same thing in the game thread regarding manufacturing pressure with Williams out.

What baffles me the most is the one week Edwards has gone ahead and released the hounds was the game against a QB who you don't necessarily want to flush.

I realize that you can't bring pressure every single play but when a QB is sitting in the pocket picking us apart what else do you have to lose? Manning does not handle pressure well either. Plus, they were without Snee and Jacobs so the chance to confuse backups was there. :wallbash:

Well Chan is a straight shooter and he doesnt seem to play favorites. If your not getting the job done changes are made pretty quick. He doesnt seem to wait too long before he shakes things up. I cant imagine Edwards ice flow is real thick at this point.

I realize that you can't bring pressure every single play but when a QB is sitting in the pocket picking us apart what else do you have to lose? Manning does not handle pressure well either. Plus, they were without Snee and Jacobs so the chance to confuse backups was there. :wallbash:

I don't want to put it in his lap because he's exceedingly busy doing a great job taking care of the offense, but at what point does Chan stroll over to Edwards, smack him behind the ear with a clipboard, tell him he's sick of the slow bleed and tell him to get his thumb out of his ass and start dialing up a pack of gritz blitzes?

Last week the Bills did a ton of A gap blitzing that helped create turnovers. This week... none?

Last week the Bills played Wilson in man on the TE? This week Ballard ran free and exploited zones.

Last week the Bills played a ton of C2 man and took away everything deep. This week cover 1 and zone?

With Merriman, Kelsay and Williams out why the hell wouldn't you manufacture some pressure and force a mistake prone QB into bad throws. I was getting flashbacks of Brady shaving his belly in the pocket before he fired a TD pass untouched. Obviously Florence couldn't handle Hicks (Who can?) but they kept leaving him out there on an island to get roasted. For the most part I'm very happy with the teams performance through 6 weeks but Edwards continues to baffle me. The last 2 weeks they have played a ton of 3-4 so why not use it to create confusion and pressure? IMO, Edwards has been shaky at best.

Couldn't agree more, wish I could disagree :angry:

Agreed. For whatever reason, the Bills coaches refuse to do what works two games in a row.

seems like they are afraid to blitz "good" QBs.

He's been shaky since he got here.

Boy didn't we miss K. Williams today for many reasons. I said it once and I will say it again, we maybe lacking talent on defense but, that can be said about our offense as well. Yet Chan get the most out of these guys, Edwards continue to remind us of how much we are lacking good pass rushers on that side of the ball. D. Florence played one of the ugliest games ever today. I have to say I would have rather seen McBust in the game. As bad as we played I have to say we gave the Giants this game. Think about it, we were on the road againt a hungry team and we played like crap, bad play calling and execution on both sides of the ball.. We beat our selves

seems like they are afraid to blitz "good" QBs.

I honestly don't think they have the personnel to blitz effectively. Merriman and Williams being out didn't help.

Even so, George Edwards is a wretched DC.Chan has played the loyalty card with him FAR too long.

Edited by DrFishfinder

Obviously Florence couldn't handle Hicks (Who can?) but they kept leaving him out there on an island to get roasted.

I still can't figure out where the hell the safeties were on those plays. Bills rushed 5 or more only a handful of times yet I never saw Florence get any safety help. I'd have to go back and look at those specific plays but I don't recall the Bills sending extra guys on those plays.

With Merriman, Kelsay and Williams out why the hell wouldn't you manufacture some pressure

Not that I am defending Edwards (can this even be considered a defense?), but we havent manufactured pressure in his previous 21 games as our DC.... so I wasnt expecting him to manufacture any in this game.

I don't want to put it in his lap because he's exceedingly busy doing a great job taking care of the offense, but at what point does Chan stroll over to Edwards, smack him behind the ear with a clipboard, tell him he's sick of the slow bleed and tell him to get his thumb out of his ass and start dialing up a pack of gritz blitzes?

One would think that an offensive mastermind like Gailey would be able to design a defensive gameplan/blitz package that would work.

Chan's friend Wannstadt will be running the defense next year. Count on it.