Is there any doubt we need a FRANCHISE QB ?

He had more than two. Two were picked. Many off target. He played poorly and frankly today's game isn't a rarity for his career. People acting like KC is what he normally does are kidding themselves. He's middle of the pack. Middle of the pack isn't good enough longterm at qb. It'll do for now but not for long. He's got a lot more in common with jay Fiedler than Brady, manning, brees or Rodgers

I think there's a real danger with this argument of tossing away the good in pursuit of perfection. I'd be ok with the Bills spending some reasonably high picks to try to find a guy who is better than Fitzpatrick - but I don't think Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers can be the standard - they're elite players in the league and don't come along all that often.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph is cheap. We should have traded the house for Rodgers, Brady, or Brees. They were all available I'm sure.

Wait maybe we could have signed a FA qb. You know what we could have drafted Dalton.

But we stuck w/ Fitz. We are doomed. I wish we weren't so cheap.

Reactive maybe. Yes you throw some int like Favre, he was a gunslinger to, but not at critical moments, and yes i'm being objective because it's the 3rd game in a row with this kind of mistakes. Look at the Phily game, Fitz throw a lot of stones in screen passes, and in the Cincy game the same. Fitz is and must be our QB this year but we need a franchise QB to be a contender for years to come.

Farvre didn't throw ints at critical moments?

You might want to fact check that one.

Fitz has played the same way for the last 6 games and last year as well.

He takes risks and sometimes is scatter armed.

That is the way it is. Nothing has changed.

The game losing interception should be blamed on the coaching staff if they called that play. Wasn't there about 4 minutes left? I thought they would chip away at the clock and either run into the end zone or kick the game winner with time gone.

It's the 3rd game with a lot of bad throws of Fitzpatrick. Today 2 underthrows became int specially the 2nd cost us the game and that last drive prove we need a franchise QB. I know it's not all Fitz fault but it's clear as water. We have a very good backfield, a good group of WR, a decent OL (spite of the injuries). But the D doesn't make the right adjustments and the QB has all day to get rid of the ball. I'm just pissed, lose because a team outplayed you, fine. But lose because your own mistakes like today and that Cincy game just makes me crazy. :wallbash:

Fitz is almost a franchise QB just that arm strength is lacking. Unfortunately we will need a fanchise QB to get this team to the SB which is why I posted a thread yesterday about Drafting Ryan Tannehill.

You're being anything but objective.

If you're going to play gunslinger football with your QB, he is going to throw some ints.

Both of those were underthrown and both were very good plays by Webster.

You live by the gun, you die by the gun.

You're being more than a little reactive.

No, he is being objective. You cannot see through your love of fitz. Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers...none of them underthrow SJ twice for two picks that are quite possibly 2 touchdowns. I love the Amish Rifle and want him to succeed here, but I think they need to find a franchise guy.

No, he is being objective. You cannot see through your love of fitz. Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers...none of them underthrow SJ twice for two picks that are quite possibly 2 touchdowns. I love the Amish Rifle and want him to succeed here, but I think they need to find a franchise guy.

Both those INts were squarely on Fitz. I am torn on the issue of whether we 'need' a franchise QB or we can make do with Fitz. On the one hand, I see him to be quite smart, plays with guts, has a short memory and has a never say die attitude. On the other, he is prone to making these game-killing mistakes and some poorly thrown balls. Yes, Gailey can live with his shortcomings but it severely hampers the play calling. As an example, Gailey should be free to call whatever plays he thinks will drive the stake deeper through the hearts of the opponents. Instead, he has to play it safe and concentrate on time clock management and trying to keep the ball last. Depending on who is available in the first round next year, QB and WR are both equally possible for us to draft. BPA

We are seeing what we're going to get with Ryan. He operates like a machine in stretches, and then operates like a backup in others. For whatever reason, his mistakes seem particularly head-scratching, like the INT vs. Baltimore last year when we were driving to win the game. Or the two picks today. Why is that intermediate sideline sprint pass so hard for him to lay out there correctly when he makes all these other tremendous throws? We're driving for the winning score on the road in a tightly contested game and a very poor throw does us in. FRUSTRATING.

At other times, he's a Robo-QB, like the five drives against the Raiders in the second half and the dropped pass to Stevie against the Steelers (last year).

He has to find a way to overcome (i.e., AVOID) these major physical/mental lapses in crunch time. WIth that said, I want him to continue firing and not succumb to the "play not to lose" garbage we've seen for ten years.

You're being anything but objective.

If you're going to play gunslinger football with your QB, he is going to throw some ints.

Both of those were underthrown and both were very good plays by Webster.

You live by the gun, you die by the gun.

You're being more than a little reactive.

Agreed, And to add to this, it was the defensive pass interfearance calls that cost the game more than the into.

If you're being objective than you have to give him credit for all throws he throws when the player is triple covered, the come from behind wins, and the NFL's fastest decision.

Then weigh that against a little scattered armed-ness.

Yeah he wasn't drafted in the first round, but there is no reason not to keep riding the Amish Rifle for the next few seasons.

Sure draft a QB in the first 32 picks if the draft works that way but freaking sign Fitzy.

I think there's a real danger with this argument of tossing away the good in pursuit of perfection. I'd be ok with the Bills spending some reasonably high picks to try to find a guy who is better than Fitzpatrick - but I don't think Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers can be the standard - they're elite players in the league and don't come along all that often.

Agreed. I'm glad he's starting for us, and we haven't just taken whoever was available. My point was that in order to be a year in and year out contender we need to pull the trigger on the guy if he happens to be there. I'm a big fitz fan but he's not a guy that's going to fill up a hand with rings. In the meantime it's good fun football but he has limitations that put a ceiling on him and the team long term.

This thread is a laugh. Brady threw 4 picks in their loss to the Bills and is having a lousy game against the Cowboys. I doubt Boston is complaining about their lack of a franchise quarterback. Fitz has had injuries across his OL and has lost 3 of his top 5 WR's since the preseason (Evans, Jones, and Parrish). This team is light years ahead of anything we've had in Buffalo for well over a decade. We're a top 5 offense that puts up 20+ pts every game. We don't have an issue on offense and especially qb. Give it a rest. It's hard to win on the road in the NFL and we have two road losses to winning teams by under 7 points each. This year has been a lot of fun and Fitzy is a big part of the resurgence. How about enjoying the ride...

By the way, didn't we under-spend the cap by 20MM+ this year. We've way overachieved, especially given the injuries.

It's the 3rd game with a lot of bad throws of Fitzpatrick. Today 2 underthrows became int specially the 2nd cost us the game and that last drive prove we need a franchise QB. I know it's not all Fitz fault but it's clear as water. We have a very good backfield, a good group of WR, a decent OL (spite of the injuries). But the D doesn't make the right adjustments and the QB has all day to get rid of the ball. I'm just pissed, lose because a team outplayed you, fine. But lose because your own mistakes like today and that Cincy game just makes me crazy. :wallbash:

I like Fitz, he is at times exciting, others frustrating, sometimes good, sometimes bad, but I have said since the day they signed him he is no franchise quarterback. He can make a team competitive, can lose games for you (today), can win games for you, but no team can win a championship with him behind center. Isn't winning a championship supposed to the be goal for all organizations?

I would personally LOVE to have the opportunity to read the performance reviews some of you guys have at work. This was by far the worst game Fitz has had all year and he still had 2td's to go along with his 2int's...for the year he has 12td's and 6int's with a QB rating in the upper 90's..the team is 4-2. HOLY JESUS, THE SKY IS FALLING! :wallbash::thumbdown::rolleyes: