The Call

Simon

Did you expect gailey to go jauron-esque and run the ball to the left hash for three straight plays and settle for a 46 yard field goal with 3:00 mins to play.

You may have missed this part:

"I'm not demanding he throw Fred and Corey into the middle of the pile"

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no way we could run the clock out in that scenario either. Gailey knew that play would be open. (It was). Also, with a suspect defense, it's obviously better to go up 7 than 3. There is no way Gailey could anticipate Fitz throwing a similarly horrible pass to what he did earlier. I can't fault the play call in that instance. I absolutely fault Fitzpatrick because, as a supposed second coach out there on the field, he should make a concerted effort that if he were to make a mistake on that pass, it'd be an overthrow, not an underthrow. In that instance, that mistake is 100% on him. He cost us the game today.

Sure he could, he saw Fitz throw a ****ty pass earlier on the same route. To say he couldn't possibly anticipate a ****ty throw is ridiculous.

I gotta agree with simon. There is no need for a pass play call on 1st down there.

Yes, a case can be made to run the ball there. Yet, on 1st down, that's the prefect time for the play Gailey called. It was simply a horribly soft under thrown ball. That's was on Fitz, not Gailey. I'll take 7 points anytime.

Now, if the ball is incomplete, a run or two would have been fine.... If complete, were up 7. the chief goat was Fitz no matter how you slice it. That was a very poorly thrown ball (again).

Edited by Spiderweb

Sure he could, he saw Fitz throw a ****ty pass earlier on the same route. To say he couldn't possibly anticipate a ****ty throw is ridiculous.

Does that mean that you're the type of person who doesn't get better the second time you try something?

Because that's largely what you're saying.

Also, do you think Gailey should send the message to Fitz that he doesn't believe in him?

Because that's also part of what your position suggests.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

awful !@#$ing call and awful !@#$ing execution. it's just not what you do in that situation and with that time left on the clock. sorry to all the apologists out there but if you're gonna pass in that situation you make it a pass where only your reciever is gonna get a shot at it. You don't just throw up a 50/50 ball towards the sidelines. The most disappointing thing about it is that I thought Fitz was smarter than that. I understand that he is not the most skilled QB, but that mistake is unexcuseable. joke of a call and joke in execution

I don't understand what's up with people and settling for a field goal. You can't sit there and talk about time management. There is no way we run the clock out, get 3 points, and give no time to the giants. They were gonna get the ball back either way. I'd rather have 7 than 3. Force them to go the whole way. It was a good play call, Stevie was as wide open as you can get in the NFL. Fitz just threw a terrible ball(2x). Fitz lost us that game.

It is absolutely not the right call to be throwing it up like that on first down. Passing is fine if it's a slant route or another screen to Freddie but a f"ing fade to a well covered Stevie? Give me a break.

Im not saying it was or wasn't a bad call but Stevie was NOT well covered. It was just a severely underthrown football. The miss on a fade or fly always has to be long. Two tough throws. I would say the call was fine because Stevie beat his coverage clean. Just underthrown.

Stevie had two steps and a well-thrown ball is a TD.

Like the call or not, the second guessing only comes into play when the execution fails.

If that ball is well-thrown, we're celebrating and lauding Gailey for the aggressiveness.

Would Jauron ever allow his OC to make a call like that?

What was Curtis Modkins thinking on that play!?!

There is no way we run the clock out, get 3 points, and give no time to the giants.

What?

There are a vast multitude of ways for the Bills to pick up a first down (or two) and bleed the clock before attacking the endzone in a less dangerous manner

Aside from FJax 80 yard run, he had 15 carries for 41 yards. That's 2.7 ypc. How can people so confidently say that we could have easily ran the ball and run out the clock? And how much clock do you expect to burn being just outside the red zone? Especially since the Giants still had 2 time outs remaining.

Edited by Bangarang

Only if he completes it for a touchdown.

Otherwise, no.

The point is that by running it is a virtual certainty you are up by 3 with little time left and a significant chance you are up by seven with way less time on the clock than if that pass goes for a score.

Stevie had two steps and a well-thrown ball is a TD.

Like the call or not, the second guessing only comes into play when the execution fails.

If that ball is well-thrown, we're celebrating and lauding Gailey for the aggressiveness.

Would Jauron ever allow his OC to make a call like that?

This.... The alignment called for single coverage on the outside on Stevie. This team and regime is gonna throw that 100 times out of 100. If it's not underthrown it's a TD or incomplete. Fitz just needed to make a better throw. I hear the frustration from folks though. That call approach can also win you some games.

Aside from FJax 80 yard run, he had 15 carries for 41 yards. That's 2.7 ypc. How can people so confidently say that we could have easily ran the ball and run out the clock? And how much clock do you expect to burn being just outside the red zone? Especially since the Giants still had 2 time outs remaining.

I will take that play over and over again. 1 on 1 coverage, Stevie beats his man at the line. This is a high percentage completion at this point. Fitzy just failed miserably.

Fitz has got to miss long on those!! If he plays for a miss over the top Stevie gets at least 1 of those! So tough to watch those throws. And for everyone saying it was Fitz with a weak arm thats unreal. Fitz can make every throw he just tried to guide those two in there. It was a touch issue not strength.

Aside from FJax 80 yard run, he had 15 carries for 41 yards. That's 2.7 ypc. How can people so confidently say that we could have easily ran the ball and run out the clock? Especially since the Giants still had 2 time outs remaining.

as Simon said, it didn't have to be FJ running the ball. Safe passes - screens, something short to Chandler - may have worked as well

How can people so confidently say that we could have easily ran the ball and run out the clock?

So exactly who are all these people who have confidently said that we could have easily ran the ball and run out the clock?

bingo

Baloney

I can't imagine its all that hard to anticipate a recurrence of something that had happened a few minutes previously.

You don't have to be Nostradamus :P

As stated, with a supposed second coach out there at QB, I am shocked that in such an important situation, he would duplicate his earlier mistake. That mistake was not due to physical limitations, the same way if Jackson were to fumble, that'd be on him and not the play call. I like the play call. The risk outweighed the reward in that case. Only horrible execution by Fitzpatrick would cost us in that case. And horrible execution is what we got.

as Simon said, it didn't have to be FJ running the ball. Safe passes - screens, something short to Chandler - may have worked as well

How is a short screen or short pass to Chandler better than what play we ran? Stevie was open. It was just a bad throw. A "safe pass" like a screen can easily lose yardage or result in a fumble. How is that better than what happened?

So exactly who are all these people who have confidently said that we could have easily ran the ball and run out the clock?

Are you not paying attention? Several people are saying we should have run the ball with 4 minutes left and try and burn some time off the clock.

How is a short screen or short pass to Chandler better than what play we ran? Stevie was open. It was just a bad throw. A "safe pass" like a screen can easily lose yardage or result in a fumble. How is that better than what happened?

Agreed.

Both screens we ran actually worked but they were both a bit of an adventure.

There was a lot of traffic and some definite potential for disaster on both screens. Almost every week it seems a botched screen is returned for a TD.

The play call was safe… Fitz needs to lay it out there and if not complete it, miss long.

It was single coverage.

I think the criticism of the play call is way off.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Are you not paying attention? Several people are saying we should have run the ball with 4 minutes left and try and burn some time off the clock.

And which of them are "confidently saying that we could have easily ran the ball and run out the clock"?

Just you straw dude....

I don't understand the posters who think it was a bad play to go for the endzone. If you execute, you're up 7 with 3 minutes to go, you give the D a chance to preserve the win for you, and you're in a situation where it would be very hard to lose in regulation. Not to mention its an Eli Manning lead team trying to go 80 yards for the tie. Eli is very caplable of doing Eli Manning type things.

And its not like Chan was asking Fitz to throw into triple coverage; Fitz had Stevie by a full two steps. Any NFL-caliber quarterback should be able to make that throw.

I would have taken my chances with an up 7 with 3 to go situation every single time.

This hindsight is a real great thing. The fact of the matter is SJ was open, wide open in terms of the NFL. The play worked. Fitz threw a terrible ball.

I don't understand the posters who think it was a bad play to go for the endzone. If you execute, you're up 7 with 3 minutes to go, you give the D a chance to preserve the win for you, and you're in a situation where it would be very hard to lose in regulation. Not to mention its an Eli Manning lead team trying to go 80 yards for the tie. Eli is very caplable of doing Eli Manning type things.

And its not like Chan was asking Fitz to throw into triple coverage; Fitz had Stevie by a full two steps. Any NFL-caliber quarterback should be able to make that throw.

I would have taken my chances with an up 7 with 3 to go situation every single time.

+1!!!!!

7 > 3. I don't understand why people wanna settle for 3. If you take the 80 yard run away. Freddie had 15 carries for 41 yards. That's 2.7 YPC!!!

you really don't think that those plays are lower risk and don't have a greated chance of being completed (hence burning clock) than what was run?

Of course, there's always the chance that with new LT, and new OG, Fitzpatrick gets sacked and takes the game out of FG range. Not that something like that could possibly happen or anything....

Why ask him to throw that route there?

I'm not demanding he throw Fred and Corey into the middle of the pile, but there was NO need to attack the endzone in that situation

Exactly...

The fact that Stevie beat his man and the throw was the difference is exactly why you don't call that play there...It's just too much risk at that point of the Game...Why risk it? The Bills had taken the crowd out at that point...They have a 1st and 10 with 4 mins left and they have one of the 3 best RB's in Football...They just over-gambled...Even if they score there they are giving Eli the Ball back with PLENTY of time...Bare minimum you want to force the Giants to use their TO's at that point...Gailey and Fitz basically handed the Giants the chance to win the Game in regulation there...It was a bad Call...If everything goes perfect, and Stevie scores there then great...But it back-fired big time....BIG TIME!!! B-)

Any passing play is dangerous when you underthrow the receiver by 5 yards. That was a horribly inaccurate pass by Fitz. And lol at the people who think you can run 4+ minutes and 2 timeouts off the clock from the 25. C'mon man.

It's always our QBs that make mistakes. No other QB in the league makes a mistake. Ugh. We have all the bad luck right?

All QB's make mistakes, some much more than others. Today, Fitz was in the "more than others" group. The play was there, twice, yet twice he threw a miserably under thown ball.

This hindsight is a real great thing. The fact of the matter is SJ was open, wide open in terms of the NFL. The play worked. Fitz threw a terrible ball.

no hindsight here. Read the shoutbox, I was calling for running plays once Fitz hit the pass to Nelson to get into NYG territory.