The Call

Simon

I haven't read any other posts today... just letting out some frustration.

RUN THE BALL WHEN YOU ARE IN SCORING POSITION WITH 4 MINUTES LEFT. :wallbash:

I disagree 100% If Fitz makes the throw...It's a TD....Stevie was open and the pass was horribly under thrown. Good play call...Poor execution by our QB.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan also made a mistake calling a pass play on 3rd down on the giants 30 yd line in the first half. Fitz gets sacked, we are out of field goal range and end up losing by three.

I respect his play calling skills and pedal-down approach but not at the expense of smart game coaching. We messed up twice today forcing passes when we didn't need to. Cost us the game.

I'm just about talked out on this subject between all the threads… we'll agree to disagree.

That I can agree with.

4-2 at the break, relatively healthy and with games still left against denver, miami (2x), washington, tennessee and dallas.

I'm feelin' all right brother. :beer:

Stop making excuses for Fitzpatrick. The coach did not lose this game. Fitz is clearly not the answer at QB. While Chan has molded an offensive system that will make Fitz look like a Superstar, he will always fail when attempting to go for those bombs or long passing plays because of lack of arm strength.

That play took place at the Giants 27-yard line.

As was mentioned by someone else, that pass and the other INT had nothing to do with arm strength… it had everything to do with touch.

It is absolutely not the right call to be throwing it up like that on first down. Passing is fine if it's a slant route or another screen to Freddie but a f"ing fade to a well covered Stevie? Give me a break.

Well cover Stevie, no Johnson was def open it was underthrow by atleast 5 yards..... Quote from Phil sims...

Aside from FJax 80 yard run, he had 15 carries for 41 yards. That's 2.7 ypc. How can people so confidently say that we could have easily ran the ball and run out the clock? And how much clock do you expect to burn being just outside the red zone? Especially since the Giants still had 2 time outs remaining.

Fred also had 6 runs of 4+ yards today, not many but he did have some. Who's to say they can't run the ball and get a first down, run the clock and kick the FG.

Pass play right there was not the right call.

Stop making excuses for Fitzpatrick. The coach did not lose this game. Fitz is clearly not the answer at QB. While Chan has molded an offensive system that will make Fitz look like a Superstar, he will always fail when attempting to go for those bombs or long passing plays because of lack of arm strength.

Wow, chill . . . one game, one bad throw. Also, the Defense has to step then (its a team game), and they didn't--at lead not until the Giants had driven the length of the field.

Everyone, step back and take a rest, it's a buy week and the BIlls are 4-2. And the two loses were within reach. Remember where we were a year ago at this time.

Chan also made a mistake calling a pass play on 3rd down on the giants 30 yd line in the first half. Fitz gets sacked, we are out of field goal range and end up losing by three.

I respect his play calling skills and pedal-down approach but not at the expense of smart game coaching. We messed up twice today forcing passes when we didn't need to. Cost us the game.

That sack's on Fitz.....He's smart enough to know that if nothing's there....Throw it away and let Lindell kick the FG.

Disagree.

3 possible scenarios.

Good pass, touchdown.

Overthrown pass, incomplete.

Underthrown pass, interception.

I'm counting two good outcomes to one bad one.

Fitz cannot underthrow the pass, just as he can't take sacks to take us out of field goal range.

I love Fitz, but his lack of execution on that play is the salient point, not the play call.

I'm being 100% honest when I say this, but if your QB is Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers I don't think the Play Call is that bad at all...But it's up to Gailey to understand what Fitz does well and what he does not-so-well...And Fitz does have holes in his Game which Gailey has done a masterful job of hiding up to this point...It's also up to Gailey to understand his Defense is not very good at stopping people...So you want to do something at that point to either run more time off the clock, or force the Giants to use their Time Outs...I'm not saying it's a bad Call period...But for this Team, at this point of their growth it was a bad Call and that's why it backfired on them...

look it's just one Game and I'm not even that upset about it...But I do think it was a poor Call, that led to a poor Pass, that led to a L instead of a W... B-)

I haven't read any other posts today... just letting out some frustration.

RUN THE BALL WHEN YOU ARE IN SCORING POSITION WITH 4 MINUTES LEFT. :wallbash:

Whether you run or pass you need to execute properly and protect the ball. Fitz did neither so that is on the coach?

Just remember the book of Dick Jauron. Three runs up the middle, FG, kickoff, Giants march 80 yards for the winning TD.

I personally would have run a few plays to burn some clock, but throwing to the endzone on 3rd and long would be an option too.

Fred also had 6 runs of 4+ yards today, not many but he did have some. Who's to say they can't run the ball and get a first down, run the clock and kick the FG.

People are automatically assuming that FJax is able to get a first down or 2. What happens if he gets stuffed and we kick a field goal and give the Giants the ball back with 3 minutes left in the game? Then all of a sudden Gailey is a moron for being conservative and not throwing when he's got man to man coverage (where Stevie scored our last TD in man to man coverage) and our offense is in prime position to get into the red zone and potentially take a 7 point lead.

Edited by Bangarang

Stevie had two steps and a well-thrown ball is a TD.

Like the call or not, the second guessing only comes into play when the execution fails.

If that ball is well-thrown, we're celebrating and lauding Gailey for the aggressiveness.

Would Jauron ever allow his OC to make a call like that?

yep! :thumbsup:

No reward without risk, and really, that was not a huge risk, it was just a poor throw, which could happen on any pass play.

I'm being 100% honest when I say this, but if your QB is Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers I don't think the Play Call is that bad at all...But it's up to Gailey to understand what Fitz does well and what he does not-so-well...And Fitz does have holes in his Game which Gailey has done a masterful job of hiding up to this point...It's also up to Gailey to understand his Defense is not very good at stopping people...So you want to do something at that point to either run more time off the clock, or force the Giants to use their Time Outs...I'm not saying it's a bad Call period...But for this Team, at this point of their growth it was a bad Call and that's why it backfired on them...

look it's just one Game and I'm not even that upset about it...But I do think it was a poor Call, that led to a poor Pass, that led to a L instead of a W... B-)

And as I'm saying, I had to watch 4 years of Jauron Ball and if we'd have gone conservative and lost as a result, Gailey would have been roasted.

I prefer (at least right now) to see my team go down firing all bullets.

I think the conservative approach is defeatist and after Jauron, I've had enough of watching the Bills play that way.

The play call was fine. People that are complaining either don't know football and the type of team we are or are suffering from a severe case of stockholm syndrome from the Dick Jauron era. 1 on 1 with the DB close to the line of scrimmage. Stevie beats him at that point. This is a basic NFL completion. One that is HIGH PERCENTAGE NOT LOW PERCENTAGE and one that is LOW RISK HIGH REWARD. All you need NOT to do is lay a duck that is severely under thrown. That play falls on the QB and know one else. Otherwise it is a touchdown or incompletion where the DB has no chance at the football.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

People are automatically assuming that FJax is able to get a first down or 2. What happens if he gets stuffed and we kick a field goal and give the Giants the ball back with 3 minutes left in the game? Then all of a sudden Gailey is a moron for being conservative and not throwing when he's got man to man coverage (where Stevie scored our last TD in man to man coverage) and our offense is in prime position to get into the red zone and potentially take a 7 point lead.

Not to mention the ball was at the Giants' 27, so we're talking about a 45 yard field goal from that point. I'd rather attempt the throw. It's the kind of throw your QB needs to be able to make. Can't believe people calling out the playcall.

AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!!

Run the !@#$ing ball. It isn't rocket science. I blame CG! That play was bull ****!! And no what ifs....if he catches, if fitz throws a better pass. Imo its bs! The play shouldn't have been called. RUN THE BALL!!

We should have been doing the same thing in the eagles game!

It is absolutely not the right call to be throwing it up like that on first down. Passing is fine if it's a slant route or another screen to Freddie but a f"ing fade to a well covered Stevie? Give me a break.

Well covered what game were you watching? Stevie had two steps on the guy it was a horrible throw!!!!!!

All QB's make mistakes, some much more than others. Today, Fitz was in the "more than others" group. The play was there, twice, yet twice he threw a miserably under thown ball.

It's not a mistake when Fitz under throws or flares a deep pass. He just shouldn't be attempting most deep balls because he obviously doesn't have the arm for it. He's shown this time and again. If he plays within his abilities, and the coaches encourage this with their play calling, Fitz is fine and we're probably fine as well (on the offensive side of the ball).

AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!!

Run the !@#$ing ball. It isn't rocket science. I blame CG! That play was bull ****!! And no what ifs....if he catches, if fitz throws a better pass. Imo its bs! The play shouldn't have been called. RUN THE BALL!!

We should have been doing the same thing in the eagles game!

Or just throw a relatively easy pass down the sideline ahead of your WR...

It's easy to go all "what if" but the bottom line is, Gailey was going for the win. I can live w/ that and especially knowing that the play wasn't a bad read by Fitzy, it was just a poorly thrown ball. We'll get that one next time.