Does bringing in a veteran WR in the middle of the season ever work?

With all the talk about Reggie Wayne and Brandon Floyd...

I really don't like these type of trades in the middle of the season especially in the final year of the contract, regardless of the sport. I'm just not talking about football, but hockey (sigh... for the playoff push), baseball etc.

I can't think of any success stories with WR's and Randy Moss in New England doesn't count because that was an off-season transaction.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Since we are not a "for sure" playoff team yet, I don't want to see us give up draft picks for guys who are on the down-side of their careers.

I agree with you. While a guy like Wayne will bring some temporary euphoria (like TO), I'm not sure he would make any sort of tangible difference in what this team is trying to accomplish this year like making the playoffs. Like you said we are a young football team still building (we need all these picks). The bills have proved so far they can plug n play young talent and still be successful especially on offense. I don't think we need to jump this shark yet.

We're 4-1 and our MVP is a 30 yr old RB. I wouldn't bail on the building process and go all in for a playoff run, but if you think you can significantly improve your team this year for the price of a 4th I say you take it.

As to whether it will work, if it was a case of just trying to bring added star power I think it could disrupt chemistry. Filling a hole created by injury, on the other hand, isn't as likely to cause problems.

Who are the midseason failures you point to other than moss? Problem is there's little to no sample size in the last decade for midseason NFL trades yet alone midseason NFL trades for a good WR.

The value of ending this playoff drought is worth a 4, if you think the guy will help win even one extra game. Whether these guys would is a different question.

To attract winners we need to rid ourselves of that losing stink this team has. Beating NE was a start but playoffs will accelerate the rebuild mire than a 4th round pick. The real dilemma being that they can hold the expiring contract, let them get a big deal and possibly take a comp pick in April that's just as high.

Edited by NoSaint

Although the thought of adding a Reggie or Brandon sounds Intresting to say the least. I can't help thinking of all the money other teams spend on players EXample Eagles talented players Yes? there 1-4 Bills 4-1 with players they had at start of year including backups. Not sure what they are going to do but In my opinion they do need a reciever or to R Martin has done nothing but take up space. Maybe put spiller out wide he's got speed an can catch

See Cornelius Bennet. Realize not a wide receiver but how did that work out?

The Bills have many injured receivers. If a team can pick someone up who can be a team player and fit in, why not spend a 4th round pick? Is italways better to bring someone in off another team's practice squad or might it be better to bring in a veteran who has been there before?

Edited by Saratoga Leo

With all the talk about Reggie Wayne and Brandon Floyd...

I really don't like these type of trades in the middle of the season especially in the final year of the contract, regardless of the sport. I'm just not talking about football, but hockey (sigh... for the playoff push), baseball etc.

I can't think of any success stories with WR's and Randy Moss in New England doesn't count because that was an off-season transaction.

We can develop our own in house stars. We do not need to bring in outside stars who will lack chemistry with our team.

Of course not. It says so right there in the tome "The Vaunted History of the EN EFF EL" by Chad Dingleberry Patsie, Chapter 35 Section 12 Paragraph 34.

To whit: "Everything that happens in The League must have occurred previously. There can be NO movements, changes, innovations, nor divergents from previously know behaviors that are already ensconced in canon. To allow otherwise, unforseen and perhaps perilous consequences could befall The League, it's employees and high rollers in Vegas. Any team that breaks this rule will be given written notice by The League that they will henceforth forfeit their $50.00 contribution to the pizza party pool for that year."

With such a severe penalty to a team, it's easy to see why it doesn't work.

If the bills can get loyd for the remainder of the season for his contract of only 1.3 mill for a 5th or 6th round pick i think it would be a great move. you dont have to resign him or anything after the season but if we continue winning his experience would be a great asset in the playoffs

If the bills can get loyd for the remainder of the season for his contract of only 1.3 mill for a 5th or 6th round pick i think it would be a great move. you dont have to resign him or anything after the season but if we continue winning his experience would be a great asset in the playoffs

The broncos are likely to get more if they let him walk in march

I agree with you. While a guy like Wayne will bring some temporary euphoria (like TO), I'm not sure he would make any sort of tangible difference in what this team is trying to accomplish this year like making the playoffs. Like you said we are a young football team still building (we need all these picks). The bills have proved so far they can plug n play young talent and still be successful especially on offense. I don't think we need to jump this shark yet.

Very rarely. Usually it is just because you need talented bodies that can make plays on a whim. It is very hard to learn an offense or defense mid-season, on the fly. Many players still have trouble after a few years with the system. The Bills could use some more weapons on offense because their defense has been superb this season.

Of course not. It says so right there in the tome "The Vaunted History of the EN EFF EL" by Chad Dingleberry Patsie, Chapter 35 Section 12 Paragraph 34.

To whit: "Everything that happens in The League must have occurred previously. There can be NO movements, changes, innovations, nor divergents from previously know behaviors that are already ensconced in canon. To allow otherwise, unforseen and perhaps perilous consequences could befall The League, it's employees and high rollers in Vegas. Any team that breaks this rule will be given written notice by The League that they will henceforth forfeit their $50.00 contribution to the pizza party pool for that year."

With such a severe penalty to a team, it's easy to see why it doesn't work.

Sarcastic + hilarious = sarclarious!