Merriman probably out, G-MEn without Jacobs, Snee, Tuck

benbillsfan

I know we seen this coming as merriman wasnt playing great, like in the preseason. Chris brown says he was held out of practice. This is what he said! Here’s an update on a couple of starting linebackers for the Bills.

Shawne Merriman is not practicing here on Friday. He was limited Thursday with an Achilles problem.

Nick Barnett who re-aggravted an ankle injury in Thursday’s practice is participating in today’s practice. We’ll have an update on his level of participation after practice.

All along Shawne Merriman had been dealing with a nagging shoulder ailment that forced him to miss a practice here or there the past few weeks, but his injury situation changed and not in a good way Thursday. Now he’s unlikely to be available for the Bills when they face the Giants Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

Merriman missed practice Wednesday due to his nagging shoulder ailment, but practiced Thursday. Unfortunately his old Achilles injury cropped up on him.

"(It) just flared up," said Merriman. "It’s one of those things we kinda knew before the season that it was going to happen at some point in time. Just have to to kind of take control of it and find out where to go from here. I’m not 100 percent (sure) what’s going to happen just yet. We haven’t talked about it. Nothing serious fortunately, just something I have to maintain and take care of."

“All along it had been his shoulder and all of a sudden that thing started acting up yesterday," said Merriman. "He’s doubtful. I don’t know if he’s going to make it or not.”

The veteran pass rusher was brought along very methodically through the training camp setting and his snaps were closely monitored in the preseason as he appeared only in the preseason opener and preseason finale heading into the regular season. Having such a long layoff from the week to week grind of regular season football the Bills chose to err on the side of caution to reduce the risk of re-injury as Merriman had dealt with calf and Achilles problems each of the past two years.

With the Achilles resurfacing as an issue it’s certainly not viewed as a positive development. At this point Gailey isn’t ready to label it a long term problem.

“I don’t know yet,” Gailey said. “We’ve got the bye week after this and we’ll see what happens

On a better note!

The Giants will be without the services of three key starters on Sunday when they host the Bills.

Head coach Tom Coughlin declared RB Brandon Jacobs (knee), DL Justin Tuck (groin) and G Chris Snee (concussion) out for Sunday’s game.

All three of them had failed to practice the entire week so the decision came as no surprise. On New York’s defensive line, Jason Pierre-Paul will start in place of Tuck at LDE and the Giants haven’t lost much. Pierre-Paul leads the team in sacks with 6.5 and has 11.5 in his last 11 games.

At running back D.J. Ware will complement starter Ahmad Bradshaw. Taking the 265-pound Jacobs out of the mix is good news for the Bills knowing their two starters at outside linebacker are both unlikely to play with Chris Kelsay out and Shawne Merriman doubtful. That means Arthur Moats and fellow second-year man Danny Batten are likely to start and both weigh less than Jacobs.

On New York’s offensive line Snee will be replaced by Kevin Boothe, unless David Baas is unable to go at center. Baas (neck) is listed as questionable and has been limited in practice all week. If for some reason Baas can’t play, Boothe would step in at center and Jim Cordle would step in at guard.

Cordle is also the team’s backup long snapper as starting long snapper Zak DeOssie is questionable after suffering a concussion.

Starting FB Henry Hynoski is also out for Sunday’s game with a concussion.

All info from bb.com

Edited by benbillsfan

Snee being out is good their O-line is a mess and he was one of the best players. Tuck is huge on their D him being out is good. Jacobs being out helps but Bradshaw is still a good back.

Merriman being out could be a good thing, give the guy a week to get right we have Moats and Batten BUT it does hurt our depth as Kelsay is out as well.

Has D.Bell status been revealed

Snee being out is good their O-line is a mess and he was one of the best players. Tuck is huge on their D him being out is good. Jacobs being out helps but Bradshaw is still a good back.

Merriman being out could be a good thing, give the guy a week to get right we have Moats and Batten BUT it does hurt our depth as Kelsay is out as well.

Has D.Bell status been revealed

I am almost positive bell is out! If we can get through this week with a W we are going to heal up during the bye! Man we need this game! Go Cowboys as well! And man I hate to say it go FISH! Yuck that tastes like **** having that come out of my vocal cords!

Just because he doesn't have any sacks doesn't mean he wasn't doing his job. He was actually playing very well and being held every time he tried to rush the backfield did not help either.

ummm.If your talking about Shawn. I dont see where anyone said he wasnt getting sacks. And actually he has 2 under his belt. He has been hampered by a sore shoulder all year. We all seen this coming. We need to win and go into the bye with time to get healthy!

The injury problems are a good argument for starting off a season with a lot of wins. Typically, the starters at the end of a season do not match who started for you in Week 1. Also justifies making sure you have decent guys on the bench, who get some PT every game.

This week could be a point-fest for both teams..

Jesus, this game is going to be like 50-45, with all these defensive guys out. Do hope the 50 is by us, of course.

The way both defenses have been playing lately, it might have been a score like that anyways. It was bound to happen with Merriman, he has already lasted 2-3 games longer than most of us thought he would. He won't really be missed too much anyway, he have been pretty much invisible. I really think Moats is better than him right now anyway, Merriman will never be "lights out" again, whether because of injuries, age or lack of the juice, it is more than obvious. After five games he has 9 tackles and one sack that was only credited to him because he was the closest to the QB running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage. Nope, he won't be missed at all, in fact we might benefit from him being out.

Edited by billsfreak

well in Merrimans defense, a couple things.

He taught our offensive tackles alot and it is starting to show with Hairston and he has been held and accounted for by offenses quite alot. even more recently.

I hope this is subterfuge by Bills and the mastermind C. Gailey.

It has been so far and mostly all season about Shawne's condition and health.

Great time to have the youngsters bring their energy and speed to our defense ( Batten Moats) or we can bring muscle and mass ( Carrington Johnson)

go Bills!

I'll take it - Jacobs is the kind of big, tough runner that can gash the Bills for a ton of yards. Glad he won't be playing! Tuck is a stud, too.

Not looking good for Merriman at all. His achilles is starting to remind me of Hasek's groin.