Stretching the field

NoSaint

More of a question than an assertion, so be patient - don't flame. I've seen a couple games, missed a few... Late in the game fox put up a stat that on throws 10+ yards fitz was 1-2 for 14 yards on the day. I know with bell out, WR injuries, the eagles corners and pass rush-- it wasn't an ideal day to push the ball.

Whats everyone's take on the downfield passing game?

More of a question than an assertion, so be patient - don't flame. I've seen a couple games, missed a few... Late in the game fox put up a stat that on throws 10+ yards fitz was 1-2 for 14 yards on the day. I know with bell out, WR injuries, the eagles corners and pass rush-- it wasn't an ideal day to push the ball.

If a basketball team wins a game without having to shoot a three, does it matter?

If a baseball team wins a game without hitting an extra-base hit, does it matter?

If a golfer wins a tournament without shooting a single eagle, does it matter?

If Chan Gailey can find ways to move the ball and score points without having to throw a deep pass, does it matter?

We do it when we need to. We played with the lead for the entire game on Sunday. That, plus the fact that Eagles can't stop the run, there was no reason to risk throwing a long ball that could get picked by a free safety or one of their corners. You need to do things that will win you the game. Stretching the field was not something we needed to do, so we didn't do it.

Did we not go long on New England and Oakland? Such short memories. Philly's weakness was underneath with their linebackers so that is where Chan attacked. Did you want him to challenge Asomugha and Samuel when the LBs were so beatable?

PTR

In games prior to last week they did take shots down the field and I don't remember one single shot they took against Philly. I am sure the WR injuries have a lot to do with it. I hope they try stretching it once in a while in future games or I would not be surprised to have us turn over the ball if we do nothing but throw short passes.

Did we not go long on New England and Oakland? Such short memories. Philly's weakness was underneath with their linebackers so that is where Chan attacked. Did you want him to challenge Asomugha and Samuel when the LBs were so beatable?

PTR

Well, I did acknowledge both not seeing every game AND the Philly strengths, as well as our injuries..... So thanks.

So you are of the opinion that we will be able to push the ball when needed going forward? There are a few real question marks so I thought it was a fair discussion.

PTR

We also tried to go long on Cinci, but didn't hit the passes.

Taking shots this week will completely depend on whether Gailey wants to risk exposing Fitz to the best pass rush the Bills have seen so far this year (Giants lead the league in sacks).

If a basketball team wins a game without having to shoot a three, does it matter?

If a baseball team wins a game without hitting an extra-base hit, does it matter?

If a golfer wins a tournament without shooting a single eagle, does it matter?

If Chan Gailey can find ways to move the ball and score points without having to throw a deep pass, does it matter?

The concern would be small ball to hide personnel weaknesses will only take you so far. Small ball to target matchups against a specific opponent being a different story.

I'm also getting concerned about our injuries at WR and the passing game. With Stevie's groin injury slowing him down a touch, and now Jones out for a few weeks, and Roscoe on IR again we are running out of bodies. Namaan stepped up with some clutch catches to keep drives alive, and might be able to fill the void. Chandler and Nelson were less visible the last 2 weeks, than in previous games.

For whatever reason, its seemed the last 2 weeks that our passing game has not been as able to create and exploit mismatches. In the second half last Sunday, when Philly loaded up the box to stop Freddy, our offense stalled.

My take is the same as it's been since last season: Gailey is protecting a suspect OL by using a read and react short to intermediate passing game primarily from the shotgun while giving Fitz full authority to take advantage of certain coverages if he chooses.

GO BILLS!!!

I think we're capable--Cincy game notwithstanding--but I think the injuries at wideout are the biggest hindrance now. Deep throws involve a lot of timing and coordination9 I.e. practice), and even if we do bring in someone with the speed to create separation (which we don't have with the current list of WRs), it will still be a challenge.

I think we'll see the short pass and read stuff we're seeing now more than not.

We also tried to go long on Cinci, but didn't hit the passes.

Taking shots this week will completely depend on whether Gailey wants to risk exposing Fitz to the best pass rush the Bills have seen so far this year (Giants lead the league in sacks).

Ah ha, it should be noted however, that while NYG leads the NFL in sacks (18), look who's not far behind:

2.) Philadelphia (16) (1)

6.) Oakland (14) (0)

8.) Cincinnati (13) (2 x 0.5)

As others have said, Philly's DB's called for the underneath stuff. This said, we've lost our long threat with the injuries to Jones & Parrish. Eagles creeped right up on us after Donald's injury. Chan is going to have to brew up some serious creativity this week to get G-men Safety's out of the box w/o endangering Fitz..

Wait a minute.. You've only seen 2 Bills games this year??:unsure:

Turn in your fan card.:bag:

As others have said, Philly's DB's called for the underneath stuff. This said, we've lost our long threat with the injuries to Jones & Parrish. Eagles creeped right up on us after Donald's injury. Chan is going to have to brew up some serious creativity this week to get G-men Safety's out of the box w/o endangering Fitz..

Wait a minute.. You've only seen 2 Bills games this year??:unsure:

Turn in your fan card.:bag:

Seen 3 now, and highlights/discussion of two. Missed NE because I was at the saints texans game. The joys of being out of market and a season ticket holder in another city.