Lee Smith - TE

Clip Smith

I'll be the first to admit I knew little to nothing about this big fella before today, but he was nasty in blocking up front, and had the Eagles out of sorts all day. So many times after the whistle guys were trying to take shots at him. Someone had their hands in his facemask at one point and he just let the guy go and gave him a little Gerbe pat on the head just to PO him even more.

Hairston was great the 10-12 plays I singled in on him. Urbik wanted to kill that guy on the INT and is another big nasty. These kids on both sides are just hustling and bringing attitude.

Anyone have any info on Smith though? I see he was an academic all-american in psychology and criminal justice. Is he also a stand-up comic. Fun to watch all day!

Per CNNSI.com

Biography: Two-year starter awarded all-Conference honors last season after totaling 38/358/3. Junior numbers included 23/335. Began his college career Tennessee.

Positives: "Large, powerful blocking tight end with NFL ability. Bends his knees, quickly gets his hands up and blocks with terrific fundamentals. Strong, easily turns defenders from the play and handles opposing defensive lineman. Blocks with a nasty attitude and always works to finish the play. Sturdy pass catcher that makes the difficult reception in a crowd. Nicely adjusts to the errant throw and possesses adequate hands."

Negatives: Large lumbering tight end who lacks a quick release off the line and possesses minimal speed.

Analysis: Smith heads towards the draft at the top blocking tight end in the entire process. He's an adequate pass catcher though not effective more than a few yards off the line of scrimmage. He will be drafted solely as a number two tight end brought onto the field for his blocking skills. Smith may also get consideration as a developmental offensive tackle.

Projection: 5-6

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2011/players/55466.html#ixzz1aKspllzh

Here's an article on Lee Smith:

Lee Smith

It seemed like a very good pickup, from a team with great strength at tight end.

I did not key on him today, but will look at the replay on DVR.

No.

You're wrong.

You can't build a quality team with undrafted or low drafted castoffs from other teams such as Chad Rinehart, Kraig Urbik, Eric Pears, Scott Chandler, Lee Smith and their ilk.

Also you can't expect a 4th round tackle like Chris Hairston to become a premier LOT… you have to invest 1st and 2nd round picks to put together a top caliber offensive line.

I'm sure reserve tackles Colin Brown and Sam Young are also destined to prove themselves as mediocre football players as well.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I'll be the first to admit I knew little to nothing about this big fella before today, but he was nasty in blocking up front, and had the Eagles out of sorts all day. So many times after the whistle guys were trying to take shots at him. Someone had their hands in his facemask at one point and he just let the guy go and gave him a little Gerbe pat on the head just to PO him even more.

Hairston was great the 10-12 plays I singled in on him. Urbik wanted to kill that guy on the INT and is another big nasty. These kids on both sides are just hustling and bringing attitude.

Anyone have any info on Smith though? I see he was an academic all-american in psychology and criminal justice. Is he also a stand-up comic. Fun to watch all day!

Some stuff on Smith I found/posted prior the Bills-NE* game...

(September 4, 2011) It is almost like the Buffalo Bills were just awarded another draft pick for the 2011 NFL Draft...The Bills today claimed rookie tight end Lee Smith off the waiver wire from the New England Patriots...

Smith was thought to have a solid chance to make the Patriots roster, but he failed to pass any of the outstanding rookies from the 2010 team, namely Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski. Smith was drafted by New England with the 159th draft pick. He is 6'6" and weighs 269 pounds, so is a nice big target for Ryan Fitzpatrick...

The other benefit regarding adding Smith to the team, is that it is safe to assume that he has some inside knowledge about the Patriots offense that will be of extreme interest to Chan Gailey and George Edwards. Just another added benefit.

Link - Buffalo Bills Claim TE Lee Smith off Waivers

Also, from the NE* post-draft reviews -

Perhaps the finest blocking tight end in college football. Can be groomed to replace Alge Crumpler. Sounds a lot Crumpler with the reputation for being a vocal and respected team leader...Late father, Daryle Smith, played OT for the Eagles, Cowboys and Browns. He died last year. Played at Tennessee in the 1980s. Undrafted in 1987.

Link - Boston Globe: Analysis of 5th-round pick Marshall TE Lee Smith

Smart move by the apparently not-so-narcoleptic Buddy Nix.

No.

You're wrong.

You can't build a quality team with undrafted or low drafted castoffs from other teams such as Chad Rinehart, Kraig Urbik, Eric Pears, Scott Chandler, Lee Smith and their ilk.

Also you can't expect a 4th round tackle like Chris Hairston to become a premier LOT… you have to invest 1st and 2nd round picks to put together a top caliber offensive line.

I'm sure reserve tackles Colin Brown and Sam Young are also destined to prove themselves as mediocre football players as well.

Who has a higher chance of becoming a good player, a first-round OT or a fourth-round OT?

No.

You're wrong.

I agree 100%.

New England Patriots: Tom Brady (6th rounder), Wes Welker (undrafted), Green-Ellis (undrafted), Woodhead (undrafted), Branch (traded for a 4th round pick). Granted their OL has a lot of 1st and 2nd rounders, but we have Wood and Levitre. Chris Hairston looked like a monster yesterday. I'm not ready to dismiss him just yet because he was drafted in the 4th round instead of the 2nd round. When we play the Steelers, I don't fear Harrison any less because he was undrafted. Maybe we should re-sign James Hardy and move him ahead of Stevie Johnson on the depth chart. After all, he was a 2nd rounder, Stevie was only a 7th.

Lee Smith is nasty.

We could have another Jason Peters on our hands, this time with less holding.

I wouldn't be surprised if they develop him as an O-Line man. He basically played as an extra tackle last week and looks like he gets off on pushing D-lineman around.

I agree 100%.

New England Patriots: Tom Brady (6th rounder), Wes Welker (undrafted), Green-Ellis (undrafted), Woodhead (undrafted), Branch (traded for a 4th round pick). Granted their OL has a lot of 1st and 2nd rounders, but we have Wood and Levitre. Chris Hairston looked like a monster yesterday. I'm not ready to dismiss him just yet because he was drafted in the 4th round instead of the 2nd round. When we play the Steelers, I don't fear Harrison any less because he was undrafted. Maybe we should re-sign James Hardy and move him ahead of Stevie Johnson on the depth chart. After all, he was a 2nd rounder, Stevie was only a 7th.

It might sound like treason.....but the Bills have pretty much taken the Patriots philosophy to build this team the past 2 years. The key has always been The Hoodie is a very smart man who can gameplan, find weakness, adjust on the fly, and trusts his players. The Patriots were never about talent on paper....they have always been about finding football smarts, even if it means average to good talent....and when the tide of smart football players who can be trusted reaches critical mass...then you suppliment with some superstar/former star/more talent than brains guys...because the smart guys can lead them and help cover weakness.

It's a simple formula....it really is. Too many guys though start drooling over numbers, raw skill, etc. Modrak was the poster boy for that with gimmick picks galore.

Chan can coach with hoodie but is classy, honest, and without a personality disorder. Fitzpatrick is Gailey's guy who he can trust in full to be quick/smart/decisive. We have a bunch of ugly crackers on the line who enjoy punishing people and can communicate on the fly. We spread the field with hardworking kids who want to make plays and battle, and we exploit weak matchups. We limit our mistakes and take measured chances.

Defense is loaded with smart leaders who may not be A+ talent guys, but who will know their assignments, can communicate, and follow through the whistle. Wilson, Scott, Williams, Edwards, Kelsay, Barnett (what a godsend), McGee when he gets back....they just do their thing and wait for you to be stupid, or they take chances at the right time. Merriman, Florence....great mix of talent and emotion....Byrd, Spence Johnson...solid people....Darius and Moats are puppy dogs off the field, but play like you stole their kibble. Just the mix with all the vet and young linebackers is possible because they all work and learn together. And people that complain about the defense right now......it is hugely different than the past 2 years. They are actually solid against the run 70% of the time and are preventing the bombs downfield. Sooner or later they are going to take a chance and force you to do something stupid....or they just wait for you to make a mistake and can tolerate giving up some drives and points because they trust their own offense.

This team pretty much IS, the Patriots. Except they are honest, hard working, likable people from top to bottom. That is what is making this ride right now so much fun. You don't have to hold your nose and root for the team....you honestly WANT these players as people to succeed.

Another guy who coming in was considered a TE/OT dual canidate. Big horses move the other team backwards. Have you noticed our QB sneaks this year compared to the last years. Before there was a standoff pile at the original LOS and we hoped that the QB sneaked into a crack and wiggled forward. Now it is like sending 3 angry big hogs through a shute- the pile moves downfield 2-4 yards and the QB just leans on one of the interior linemen. I wonder if we could do that 35 times in a row from the opening kickoff and score a TD that way?