Proof: No reason to worry about our performance against the Bengals

saundena

I've been trying to decide if I should be more worried about Buffalo considering their performance yesterday and I decided that no, I shouldn't be.

I present to you this:

Since the Bye week last year, we are 7-8. That number isn't to impressive but it reflects what many of us feel the Bills are- and that is a .500 team. But consider this in those 11 games we were competitive in, or won 8 games. 4 of those games were against playoff teams. I think that's pretty impressive for a team which was basically torn down when Chix came on board only a few months earlier. Fast forward to this year. We've continue building upon last years momentum and got off to a 3-1 start. So we laid an egg against the Bengals-- we did that last year when we played Minny. That game should not have been the blow out that it was- but hey things happen. At the very least, last year proves that we could play with the big boys, because we did it on more than 1 occasion (disclaimer- the last 2 games were terrible, but we were decimated by injuries at that point).

This year, We've had a solid off season. We've also proved that we can play with the big boys (Raiders) and big girls (Brady). Sure we've got some issues, but we're not that bad. So let's move on. I don't remember too much of the early 90's bills, but I know they played craptastic games way back then, too.

At the end of the day, we are a talented that still needs one more off season to make a serious push for deep playoffs. We're not going to revert to the 2008 Bills. I think our performance at the end of last year and this year proved that. Thoughts?

GO BILLS!

Edited by saundena

Yup I remember listening to ESPN Sunday Night football in 1991 and the Bills laid a huge egg against the lousy Colts on the road. The good teams will shrug it off and move on. I have a feeling the Fitz is that type of player. Hope his hand feels better by Sunday. He'll need that extra quickness with the pressure that will surely come from the left side. Someone do something about this defense, though. It really stinks.

For this to be true and hopeful, they are going to need to beat the Eagles. Win, and the Bengals were a bump on the road, lose, 3-2, on the road to the Giants and thoughts of 2008 begin to become more real.

Yup I remember listening to ESPN Sunday Night football in 1991 and the Bills laid a huge egg against the lousy Colts on the road. The good teams will shrug it off and move on. I have a feeling the Fitz is that type of player. Hope his hand feels better by Sunday. He'll need that extra quickness with the pressure that will surely come from the left side. Someone do something about this defense, though. It really stinks.

George Edwards

I've been trying to decide if I should be more worried about Buffalo considering their performance yesterday and I decided that no, I shouldn't be.

I present to you this:

Since the Bye week last year, we are 7-8. That number isn't to impressive but it reflects what many of us feel the Bills are- and that is a .500 team. But consider this in those 11 games we were competitive in, or won 8 games. 4 of those games were against playoff teams. I think that's pretty impressive for a team which was basically torn down when Chix came on board only a few months earlier. Fast forward to this year. We've continue building upon last years momentum and got off to a 3-1 start. So we laid an egg against the Bengals-- we did that last year when we played Minny. That game should not have been the blow out that it was- but hey things happen. At the very least, last year proves that we could play with the big boys, because we did it on more than 1 occasion (disclaimer- the last 2 games were terrible, but we were decimated by injuries at that point).

This year, We've had a solid off season. We've also proved that we can play with the big boys (Raiders) and big girls (Brady). Sure we've got some issues, but we're not that bad. So let's move on. I don't remember too much of the early 90's bills, but I know they played craptastic games way back then, too.

At the end of the day, we are a talented that still needs one more off season to make a serious push for deep playoffs. We're not going to revert to the 2008 Bills. I think our performance at the end of last year and this year proved that. Thoughts?

GO BILLS!

They're more like the '91 Bills who went 13-3 than the '08 Bills who went 7-9, but they'll probably finish 8-8?

You're just really hedging and setting yourself up to not be disappointing don't ya think?

George Edwards

Why is Edwards getting all the blame? Do you really think that Wanny is just sitting up in the booth not having any input on our defense? Perhaps this defense is Wanny's doing and not Edwards. You know the guy is known for running a vanilla 4-3 defense which mainly succeeded because of the amazing talent he had? Take a guess at what kind of defense we're running mostly right now.

Walt "Swizzle Stick" Corey

What's your point? bend but don't break worked in 1991... we just got hosed on a couple of calls and our offense failed to score more points.

No, you know what worked in the Walt Corey defensive schemes of the early '90s? Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, Phil Hansen, Shane Conlan, Jeff Wright, Darryl Talley, Nate Odomes....etc, etc, etc.

Good GREAT players help...a lot.

I present to you this:

GO BILLS!

A lot of people, going into Cinci, were all "this is the real test," in regards to seeing how the Bills perform comming off a huge win and emotional igh...I call B.S. I think the real test is this week! Lets see how/if they bounce back.

No, you know what worked in the Walt Corey defensive schemes of the early '90s? Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, Phil Hansen, Shane Conlan, Jeff Wright, Darryl Talley, Nate Odomes....etc, etc, etc.

Good GREAT players help...a lot.

Even then we were winning games even though we were giving up gobs of points. If we had those players, we'd be holding Cincinnati to what, 13, 10 points? :P

One number for you: 2008.

Another number that scares me is 2003. The Bills began the year looking good at 2-1 (one of those wins even came against the Patriots). The Eagles struggled to begin 2003 at 0-2. The Eagles then traveled to Buffalo and beat the Bills. That seemed to be the turning point for both teams as the Bills flopped the rest of the year and the Eagles went 12-4 and made it to the championship game. Here's to hoping history does not repeat itself.

Even then we were winning games even though we were giving up gobs of points. If we had those players, we'd be holding Cincinnati to what, 13, 10 points? :P

Yeah, except you could depend on any of those players I listed stepping up and making a big play when it was needed late in the game, when it mattered the most. Game after game, year after year. That's why those teams were great. And that has zero to do with the scheme or "bend but don't break". That has everything to do with individual talent, and the greatness of Bruce, et al.

Anyhow, that player does not exist on this current defense. Not yet, anyhow.

Yeah, except you could depend on any of those players I listed stepping up and making a big play when it was needed late in the game, when it mattered the most. Game after game, year after year. That's why those teams were great. And that has zero to do with the scheme or "bend but don't break". That has everything to do with individual talent, and the greatness of Bruce, et al.

Anyhow, that player does not exist on this current defense. Not yet, anyhow.

AGREED!!! There is no single impact player that is a terror. That is why all of this talk about George Edwards is so utterly a waste of time :)