Kick off or Receive

seadog

Seems as though Chan likes to kickoff when we win coin tosses(which it seems we do alot), putting the defense on the field first and offense first possesion of second half. As we have been down early in the last two games should we let our hot offense go out first and try score early and give us a boost? The first possesion of second half has been good for coming back, but that can't happen every week.

Seems as though Chan likes to kickoff when we win coin tosses(which it seems we do alot), putting the defense on the field first and offense first possesion of second half. As we have been down early in the last two games should we let our hot offense go out first and try score early and give us a boost? The first possesion of second half has been good for coming back, but that can't happen every week.

He defers...like every coach does.

I think Chan should defer this week (it is the logical thing to do, Captain) and see what happens.

If we let the Bengals score on their first drive and the offense comes out flat again, I think he should reconsider for at least some of the future games. Our defense has more veterans, while our offense is more young guys. See if they'd settle in and focus better if they get the chance to go first.

That's just me, though

I love to know that the team will get the ball at the start of the 3rd QTR. If you're behind, it's the drive you need to keep it close, if you're ahead, a good drive can kill the opposition. Always defer.
I like to defer... can't argue with the results thus far. But it gives you that extra possession once you get a feel for the game. I think it's more valuable than the possession to start the game.

I wholeheartedly agree with these sentiments.

Defer I like getting the ball after half..if your up great and if your down can be huge

If you like getting the ball after the half why wouldn't you chose to kickoff rather than defer? As the other team can chose kickoff when you defer and you would not be getting the ball after the half...

If you like getting the ball after the half why wouldn't you chose to kickoff rather than defer? As the other team can chose kickoff when you defer and you would not be getting the ball after the half...

Incorrect. When a team defers, that means they defer their option until the second half, not that they defer their option to the other team. At half time, the deferring team then can choose to either kick off or receive. I played in a HS game once where we deferred and they chose to kick off. They were really pissed when they had to kick it off again at halftime.

Likewise, if they do not defer, they get the option to kick or receive in the first half, and the other team gets the same option in the second half. So were they to choose to kick, the other team would get their option at halftime and would force them to kick off again. And then someone would lose their job.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

Always receive, the team needs to be in attack from the start.

I would always prefer to defer. Shut down their first drive and score immediately. Demoralize the other team right off the bat and get the ball to begin the 3rd quarter. But that's just me.

Edited by Pilsner