Rough week for bean town continues

truth on hold

I grew up in Massachusetts and I agree completely with what is being said here. I have a 50/50 split in allegiances between Buffalo and Boston sports: Bills/Sabres - Red Sox/Celtics, so obviously I have mixed feelings here.

As far as football is concerned, NOBODY gave a sniff about the Pats until Bill Parcells, Drew Bledsoe, and Curtis Martin came to town. They would be the St. Louis "Whatevers" had Robert Kraft not bought the team. There were more Giants fans down there than anything because most of the older generation were raised on the NFL's Giants and not the AFL Patriots. The Giants were the locally televised NFL franchise.

My friends and I grew up fans of other teams because our parents didn't raise us to be Pats fans! You would get to a certain age and just pick a team that appealed to you for whatever reason (despite the 4 Super Bowls and the last horrible decade I am still so glad I chose Buffalo, I absolutely LOVE being a Bills fan). However, when Golden Boy arrived it brought bandwagon jumping to a new low. EVERYONE became nuts about the Pats and even left their old teams behind. That's why those if us who are from there and stuck with the teams we grew up rooting for can't stand the Pats or their fans...we see through the facade.

Before the recent success of the Celtics and Bruins, only diehard hockey and basketball fans were hardcore about those teams, respectively.

One thing I will give my New England brethren credit for is that we are absolutely nuts about the Red Sox. It is bred in you there, like the Bills in Buffalo and the Packers in Green Bay. It definitely runs deep and I was really happy for my region when we finally won the World Series in 2004. Trust me, that fanbase deserved it.

That being said, it is good to see some humble pie finally being eaten down there, ESPECIALLY when it comes to football :thumbsup:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Boston as well and hosted 5 Pats* fans to watch the Bills game last weekend. ONE (atypical) guy was knowledgeable of both the Bills & Pats* teams. After Brady threw the 4th pick, another guy actually called for them to "put in Matt Cassel". This is the typical New England sports fan.

My fiance knows more about the Pats* than the typical Brady-jersey wearing Pedroia look-alike...and she's a Bills fan!!

popped out of bed like it's christmas morning 94 and i know there's a super nintendo waiting under the tree for me.

:lol:

You're going to play Super Red Sox Choke World all day in your pajamas, aren't you?

Edited by KD in CT

I grew up in Massachusetts and I agree completely with what is being said here. I have a 50/50 split in allegiances between Buffalo and Boston sports: Bills/Sabres - Red Sox/Celtics, so obviously I have mixed feelings here.

As far as football is concerned, NOBODY gave a sniff about the Pats until Bill Parcells, Drew Bledsoe, and Curtis Martin came to town. They would be the St. Louis "Whatevers" had Robert Kraft not bought the team. There were more Giants fans down there than anything because most of the older generation were raised on the NFL's Giants and not the AFL Patriots. The Giants were the locally televised NFL franchise.

My friends and I grew up fans of other teams because our parents didn't raise us to be Pats fans! You would get to a certain age and just pick a team that appealed to you for whatever reason (despite the 4 Super Bowls and the last horrible decade I am still so glad I chose Buffalo, I absolutely LOVE being a Bills fan). However, when Golden Boy arrived it brought bandwagon jumping to a new low. EVERYONE became nuts about the Pats and even left their old teams behind. That's why those if us who are from there and stuck with the teams we grew up rooting for can't stand the Pats or their fans...we see through the facade.

Before the recent success of the Celtics and Bruins, only diehard hockey and basketball fans were hardcore about those teams, respectively.

One thing I will give my New England brethren credit for is that we are absolutely nuts about the Red Sox. It is bred in you there, like the Bills in Buffalo and the Packers in Green Bay. It definitely runs deep and I was really happy for my region when we finally won the World Series in 2004. Trust me, that fanbase deserved it.

That being said, it is good to see some humble pie finally being eaten down there, ESPECIALLY when it comes to football :thumbsup:

Great post!

I was flipping between the Rays game and the Braves games but finally gave up and went to bed after both games were past 11 innings! What an amazing comeback by the Rays -- down to their last strike in the 9th and a guy hitting just over .100 lines a HR down the RF line to tie it up.

Awesome results.

I didn't see all of it but that "fastball" thrown to Longoria on his 3 run HR looked like something thrown in a semi-pro game on a Thursday night in the middle of June after the real pitcher had to leave because he had an early meeting the next day.

Anyway the Yankees may think they were being cute when they helped eliminate the BoSox but karma will get revenge in the form of Pujols, Carpenter and Holliday.

Leading Tampa by 9 games on September 4 for the wildcard red sox were eliminated on the final day of regular season. Lol losing 9 game lead in less than a month .... Is that even possible?

Love the bizarre and heartbreaking way the last day went down with Tampa coming back from a large deficit to defeat Yankees, red sox blowing late lead to the lowly orioles. Double lol!!

Pats lose to bills and then this 3 days later. Triple lol!!!

Serves those obnoxious chowder heads right!http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/gamecast?gameId=310928130

:lol::thumbsup:

I can't wait to listen to Jim Rome at noon today. I was listening a couple of days ago & he was very funny talking about how it's better for the Sox to complete their choke and not make it to postseason.

And the Atlanta Braves who blew an 8.5 game lead in the wild card were once the BOSTON Braves. Of course you would have to be one really old beaneater for that to bother you.

The Curse of the Bambino is back!

Babe Ruth began his major league career with the Boston Red Sox and ended his major league career with the Boston Braves. Also, Ruth a native of Baltimore Maryland, started his professional career with the then minor league Baltimore Orioles. The current version of the Baltimore Orioles scored 2 runs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th Wednesday to end the 2011 Red Sox season.

Boston had 17 chances(the number of losses in September) to not be in that position to be eliminated last night.

I didn't see all of it but that "fastball" thrown to Longoria on his 3 run HR looked like something thrown in a semi-pro game on a Thursday night in the middle of June after the real pitcher had to leave because he had an early meeting the next day.

Anyway the Yankees may think they were being cute when they helped eliminate the BoSox but karma will get revenge in the form of Pujols, Carpenter and Holliday.

Poor New England sports fans. First the Pats blow a three touchdown lead to the Bills and now no MLB playoffs.

:cry:

I went to sleep last night and the Yankees were winning 7-0 while the BoSox had a 3-2 lead in a rain delay. I was shocked to see that the Rays came back and Bawston lost. What a great morning!

Go Yankees!!!

story

You went to sleep too early. From around 10:30 to around midnight last night, it may have been the most exciting 1.5 hours in baseball. The only game that wasn't exciting was the Cardinals blowout of the Astros. In the remaining 3 games, with each wild card contending team needing to win, all 3 of the subsequent winning teams went into the 9th behind by 1 run. In the 2 AL games, the team that was behind had 2 outs, nobody on & trailed by a run when they were down to their last out. So in Tampa, the Mgr pinch hits with a guy who is batting 119 & hasn't had a home run in months. He's down to his last strike & homers to tie the game & send it to extra innings. Meanwhile in Baltimore the Orioles get 2 quick outs & are down to their last batter. They have NOTHING to play for, yet the last batter doubles, the following player doubles, tying the game, & then the next batter gets a hit to win it. The players and fans in Tampa go wild when the game in Baltimore ends (in spite of the fact the scoreboard took about 2 minutes to post the final from Baltimore even though 90% of the people in the stadium already knew it). Then moments after the final score from Baltimore is posted in Tampa, Longoria, who earlier had a 3 run homer to cap the 6 run 8th inning, lines the ball to the only place where there is a low enough fence for it to go out as a home run.

The announcers could have borrowed some of Van's material because the most appropriate line after those events is "Do you believe it!"

Bills are 3-0. Yankees headed to the playoffs. Sabres look great and hockey actually has a chance of being notable this year without the NBA.

This is sports nirvana, I believe.

my 3 teams and feeling towards the NBA too. I too think this is sports nirvana. If NBA locks out hockey highlights won't be buried in the last 10 minutes of Sportscenter

I was flipping between the Rays game and the Braves games but finally gave up and went to bed after both games were past 11 innings! What an amazing comeback by the Rays -- down to their last strike in the 9th and a guy hitting just over .100 lines a HR down the RF line to tie it up.

Awesome results.

What, did Bucky !@#$in' Dent come out of retirement? :lol: