Fitz is Future!

One thing Im tired of hearing around topic boards is how Fitzpatrick will be a great mentor for our Quarterback of the future, or about how He is the present solution until we get a younger QB. Guys Fitzpatrick is only 27 years old and is in his 7th year in the league. to put things into retrospect I made a list of QBs around the league that are near Fitzpatrick's Age/Experience:

Name......... Age.... experience

Fitzpatrick 27 7

E. Manning 30 8

Rothlesburger 29 8

M. Ryan 26 4

J. Campbell 29 7

M. Cassel 29 7

V. Young 28 6

C. Mccoy 26 2

M. Leinart 28 6

So the truth of the matter is, that Ryan Fitzpatrick is just 2 years older than a second year player in Colt McCoy and one year younger than Vince Young. My point in this post is that Fitzpatrick has the potential to still leave his mark on this league and fans shouldn't count out Fitz as a very credible option for this teams Future at the Quarterback position. Anyone have a different point to bring up on this subject?

One thing Im tired of hearing around topic boards is how Fitzpatrick will be a great mentor for our Quarterback of the future, or about how He is the present solution until we get a younger QB. Guys Fitzpatrick is only 27 years old and is in his 7th year in the league. to put things into retrospect I made a list of QBs around the league that are near Fitzpatrick's Age/Experience:

Fitzpatrick 27 7

E. Manning 30 8

Rothlesburger 29 8

M. Ryan 26 4

J. Campbell 29 7

M. Cassel 29 7

V. Young 28 6

C. Mccoy 26 2

M. Leinart 28 6

So the truth of the matter is, that Ryan Fitzpatrick is just 2 years older than a second year player in Colt McCoy and one year younger than Vince Young. My point in this post is that Fitzpatrick has the potential to still leave his mark on this league and fans shouldn't count out Fitz as a very credible option for this teams Future at the Quarterback position. Anyone have a different point to bring up on this subject?

Actually he is 28 and I think will be 29 in November.

Appreciate the corrections.

but still when you sit down to think about, just seeing the players that he is in the same age group with, this guy has so much football ahead of him, especially at the position he plays. And to even think about throwing in a new younger player to compete for his job when he is still in his prime? just doesnt make any sense ... I think the beard throws people off how old he really is. I mean who would have guessed that he is younger than Eli? :lol:

One thing I think gets downplayed a lot, in reagards to Fitzpatrick, by Bills fans too: Fitz started 3 or 4 games as rookie for the Rams, and then another dozen or so games for the the Bengals. So, he had some seasoning when he came to the Bills.

To me, last season, even when he didn't have great games, it was obvious that Fitzpatrick was very comfortable as the starter...I don't think I ever got that sense from JP Losman, or Trent Edwards. Both guys had their moments, but, more often than not, just didn't seem to be able to handle the position very well. Fitzpatrick is a shining example of how much a good mind can compensate for physical limitations, for a QB. Fitz is obviously a pretty good athlete, but he doesn't have the arm that Losman had, for example...but he has the confidence to make plays.

If you go back and watch his first TD pass from Sunday, to Steve Johnson, it wasn't anything spectacular, but, Fitz let go of that pass well before Johnson had even made a cut...we haven't seen a QB do that in some time. Edwards would have held it till he was sure SJ was past his man, and Losman would have thrown it not to get intercepted, or caught.

Edited by Buftex

If you add up all of Fitz' games played, I think this is like his 4th year as a starter (it's usually year 3-4 of straight starts that a rookie's light comes on). I think the best is still yet to come with him, and I feel we've got a good 7-10 years left with him. However, after a great team has been built around him, in about 5 years it will be time to draft a QB and groom him, to keep the continuity going.

Edited by BringBackFlutie

Fitzpatrick 27 7

E. Manning 30 8

Rothlesburger 29 8

M. Ryan 26 4

J. Campbell 29 7

M. Cassel 29 7

V. Young 28 6

C. Mccoy 26 2

M. Leinart 28 6

I like the depth in this post & the organization, welcome aboard.

Hell how old was Kurt Warner his 'rookie' year with St Louis? 27 i think. And he played for 12 more years and went to a Super Bowl at 38. And he carried that team to the Super Bowl.

Outside of kicker, QB is one position you can play at a high level well into your 30's.

Will Fitz? God we all hope so!

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

However, after a great team has been built around him, in about 5 years it will be time to draft a QB and groom him, to keep the continuity going.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!!!!!! WE'VE ONLY WON 3 GAMES! Even funnier still is this was written by someone named BringBackFlutie. :w00t:

As I just said in another post,

"We have a guy just entering his prime, who has proven he can win, who just started his first full year three weeks ago, and we want to spend a 1st round pick on another QB so our new QB, who, mind you, has been a starter for a whopping 16 games, so he can start grooming...another new QB? That's like saying Kelly should have been grooming a QB in 1988."

Glad some fans know what a winner, and a winning team, looks like. For winner, see Fitz. For winning teams, see most teams that don't change QBs every two years.

Fitzpatrick 27 7

E. Manning 30 8

Rothlesburger 29 8

M. Ryan 26 4

J. Campbell 29 7

M. Cassel 29 7

V. Young 28 6

C. Mccoy 26 2

M. Leinart 28 6

FUTURE!!! Been saying this for a while.....i remeber when he was a Sr. at Harvard. i wanted the bills to draft him back then!

...The only thing Fitz will be grooming next season is his beard, after winning Buffalo its first Super Bowl victory.

Hope so!

I fail to glean any sort of a coherent point from this.

And so what? I really liked Flutie :)

Best drop kicker in the modern era!

As I just said in another post,

"We have a guy just entering his prime, who has proven he can win, who just started his first full year three weeks ago, and we want to spend a 1st round pick on another QB so our new QB, who, mind you, has been a starter for a whopping 16 games, so he can start grooming...another new QB? That's like saying Kelly should have been grooming a QB in 1988."

Glad some fans know what a winner, and a winning team, looks like. For winner, see Fitz. For winning teams, see most teams that don't change QBs every two years.

Good post. Also, compare his 16 starts to Payton Manning's first 16. Fitz has way better numbers and less talent around him arguably. Fitz is the main reason was are 3-0. We need to fix the D before drafting the "QB of the future" when we already have one. Imagine what we could do if we took a nasty QB eating OLB in the first, a OL second, then another WR 4th (if anyone like Jackson from Philly is left), or another tall pass catching TE (we could run two TE sets). Wasting a 1st round pick on a QB at this point seems beyond rediculous when we are leading the league in points with Fitz. Even if we were 1-2 right now, we would still be leading the league in points, and could anyone say we need a new QB? No, the reasons we would have lost would have been because of the D, not the QB. The guy converted two fourth downs against Oakland in the drive. Are his "measurables" that great, perhaps not as great as Jarmacus Russell, but anyone want him?!?!?

Edited by RyanC883

If you add up all of Fitz' games played, I think this is like his 4th year as a starter (it's usually year 3-4 of straight starts that a rookie's light comes on). I think the best is still yet to come with him, and I feel we've got a good 7-10 years left with him. However, after a great team has been built around him, in about 5 years it will be time to draft a QB and groom him, to keep the continuity going.

with all due respect, it is very rare that good QBs come to teams consecutively after one another. when you really look most NFL teams they will drive their starting Quarterback as far as he will take them and only when they show signs of decline will they take chances in drafting or making a trade. I personally dont believe in grooming QBs directly due to the success of rookie Quarterbacks recently. When put in the right situation, I believe the system will groom the Quarterback. Dont get me wrong, having a vetran back up is fine, but to go as far as to say that young players need a father figure in the locker room with them just seems ridiculous.