Slowing down the Pats O

SWVABillsFan

I look at Welker's size and all and who the Pats have on offense and wonder what ever happened to the bump and run or man-to-man coverage? Put safties over the top and fast taller OLB's can cover te's. 1 thing I know for sure is you have to be old school Raiders and play physical man to man and get you de's and dl and mlb to pressure and hit. It kills me no one tries to stick that pansy Welker, if it was me when I was younger give me him one-on-one and he never gets past the line of scrimmage. Smash mouth play physical. Where did that go?

as much as it pains me to say, Welker's just too good to be stifled by a man jamming him at the line.

Exactly, Gailey has taken this lesson to heart by "stacking" receivers in order to avoid jamming at the line. The NFL is a cat and mouse game. Offensive and defensive schemes change to take advantage of match ups. Right now offenses are winning the day. Look how the importance of the run game has diminished. The NFL is pass happy.

Most of Welker's patterns are crossing routes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Couldn't a linebacker deck him coming across prior to a pass being thrown? You would think that smearing him once or twice would have an effect on his route running.

did you see the 4th down touchdown the patriots had? nick barnett smacked welker, welker bounced off of him and continued running his route and got the touchdown.

Exactly, Gailey has taken this lesson to heart by "stacking" receivers in order to avoid jamming at the line. The NFL is a cat and mouse game. Offensive and defensive schemes change to take advantage of match ups. Right now offenses are winning the day. Look how the importance of the run game has diminished. The NFL is pass happy.

You read that article too! I found it absolutely fascinating... a very ingenious adaptation.

Edited by BmoreBills

That is basically how teams have handled Welker last season now that Moss is no longer there to be a deep threat (His stats last year were 86 receptions 848 yards and 7 TD's a very down year for him). But that was after Welker came off of an ACL injury this season he has through only 3 games 31 catches 458 yards and 4 TD's.

Although once teams realize Ochocinco isn't that kind of threat teams will gameplan around Welker and their tightends and basically dare Brady to beat them in single coverage deep. I doubt that will work every time but it did work for the Jets in the playoffs last year who basically blitzed Brady like crazy and geared their coverage to jam at the line and stop the short pass.

In deference to the OP, I'll tell you what...

I'll worry about this topic in the week leading up to 1 Jan 2012, which is the next time the Bills play the Pats*. And by that time, who knows? There will likely be an entirely new set of parameters around which to plan. Various people will have been injured on both teams, the schedule may have been flexed, one or the other team might be resting their starters because the playoffs are already locked up (and let's hope it's the Bills!).

But as for "Slowing down the Pats* O"? Who gives a rat's hairy ass? If I look at the schedule closely enough, I see...oh, wait! Next week's opponent is the Cincinnati Bengals! It's just me, I'm sure, but I'm guessing Chan and the boys are probably thinking about slowing down the Bengals' O. The Pats* are already getting smaller in the rear view mirror.

Looking ahead. It's what winning teams do. Just sayin'...

Most of Welker's patterns are crossing routes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Couldn't a linebacker deck him coming across prior to a pass being thrown? You would think that smearing him once or twice would have an effect on his route running.

easier said than done

I doubt that will work every time but it did work for the Jets in the playoffs last year who basically blitzed Brady like crazy and geared their coverage to jam at the line and stop the short pass.

Just a note to point out tha the Jets did not necessarily blitz by numbers, they blitzed by deception. They may have only been sending 4 guys at a time, but you never had any idea where they were coming from. While I did not want to see a blitz heavy package out of the Bills last weekend, I did want to see them rushing different people from a variety of positions. It's also worth noting, that with 2 excellent corners, the Jets have the luxury of not necessarily having to worry as much about the integrity of their coverage schemes. We do not have that luxury yet.

As for Welker, he reminds me of Steve Tasker in a way (except for the fact that Welker is an obnoxious little snotrag and Tasker was a classy and honorable player). Remeber how Kelly used to laugh because absolutely nobody could cover Tasker in practice? It's the same way with Welker; when you have a guy that quick who's on the same page as an accurate QB, it's a freaking nightmare to contain. You can talk about rubbing him all you want, but actually getting pads on him is another story; and with Brady's accuracy and the fact that those two can play with one mind, he's only got to get about a foot and a half of separation for Brady to be able to throw him open and lead him into a soft spot in the zone.

That happened on the pat's last td. One of our LBs gave him a good push as he was crossing, but Brady just held the ball and stared Welker down until he finally came free. It was actually kind of amateur but his protection was just that good.

Just a note to point out tha the Jets did not necessarily blitz by numbers, they blitzed by deception. They may have only been sending 4 guys at a time, but you never had any idea where they were coming from. While I did not want to see a blitz heavy package out of the Bills last weekend, I did want to see them rushing different people from a variety of positions. It's also worth noting, that with 2 excellent corners, the Jets have the luxury of not necessarily having to worry as much about the integrity of their coverage schemes. We do not have that luxury yet.

Yeah, I remember thinking as I was watching that game that it was all about the coverage. The Jets' pass rush wasn't bad, but it didn't strike me as phenomenal. On several plays Brady had plenty of time but couldn't find anywhere to throw. He was getting very obviously frustrated as the game wore on.

I look at Welker's size and all and who the Pats have on offense and wonder what ever happened to the bump and run or man-to-man coverage? Put safties over the top and fast taller OLB's can cover te's. 1 thing I know for sure is you have to be old school Raiders and play physical man to man and get you de's and dl and mlb to pressure and hit. It kills me no one tries to stick that pansy Welker, if it was me when I was younger give me him one-on-one and he never gets past the line of scrimmage. Smash mouth play physical. Where did that go?

Actually, if you look at Welker's last TD reception our LB hits him hard when he comes across the middle to disrupt his route, but he had just enough of a window and our DBs were playing a bit deep on him... The other thing you notice is if they could have held Welker up for one more second Brady would have taken a sack - pressure was that close.

Actually, if you look at Welker's last TD reception our LB hits him hard when he comes across the middle to disrupt his route, but he had just enough of a window and our DBs were playing a bit deep on him... The other thing you notice is if they could have held Welker up for one more second Brady would have taken a sack - pressure was that close.

That one wasn't on the DB's, it was on Barnett who needed to sty on top of Welker after the chuck. A completion doesn't really hurt us there but the fact that Barnett was not close enough to make the immediate taackle cost the 4th down score. Leodis made a heads up, hustle play trying to get over in time, but it wasn't quite enough.

Welker's a pansy? That's just blind homerism.

They should put you on one side and YE OLE on the other... we'd jam them up but good!

As sure as I am that we would have won state champs if coach put me in I am positive that locked in a one on one with one of the leagues elite WR's you would lock him down, back in your prime of course.