Chicago Green Bay fake punt return - anyone see it?

Loved it! Just amazing, too bad it went for naught. Such an obvious thing that players do/don't do look for the ball. I am sure we will see more of that, it is a copy cat league after all and it is effective. Guys start looking up for the ball are going to get labeled on blocks.

Edited by bowery4

I still don't know how they were able to pull it off. No defenders looked up for the ball? Crazy play.

I think that if a defender was running down the field with their head up looking for where the ball was, they are likely to get absolutely laid out by one of the blockers.

That was a pretty neat little trick, surprised that it's never been tried before (at least I've never seen it).

I think that if a defender was running down the field with their head up looking for where the ball was, they are likely to get absolutely laid out by one of the blockers.

That was a pretty neat little trick, surprised that it's never been tried before (at least I've never seen it).

I would imagine the defenders would be told before the kick which side of the field the ball was being kicked to.

The returners will often times fake like they are going to catch it, but the defenders don't fall for it because they know the ball is not being kick to that side. In this case, there must have been poor communication on the kicking team so they did not know he was kicking it to the other side.

Next week's Packer's Special Teams' meeting is going to resemble Gunnery Sergeant Hartman's "briefing" with Private Pyle:

"What side was that kick called to?"

"Left Side, Sir!"

What side is this?" <SMACK!>

"RIGHT SIDE, SIR!"

"Are you sure? What side is THIS!" <SMACK!>

"LEFT SIDE, SIR!"

Repeat

The NFL blindly stands behind their officials and I am not sure why. The league needs to seriously review and fire rafs that suck.

This is also another reason to do away with instant replay. This was a huge play in that game a 100% BS holding call altered the game, yet it is not challengable. That holding call had no less affect on the game than a TD/INT catch being reviewed. Like the ten minute review they had of the Searcy INT last week.... why can they review the catch/int but not the obvious double armed take down hold on Merriman?

Either everything in every play needs to be reviewable or nothing does. I prefer nothing, because even after review they dont get the call right (evidence being Syracuse/Toledo among many others)

Wow. Hard to believe GB fell for that. As a punter, you're taught to yell out where the ball goes (left, right, short, middle). I would think that once you get to a better level (I was semi-pro & we virtually never practiced special teams), you actually designate where the kick should go as well, making this occurrence all the more unlikely.

At the beginning of the video that Fez posted, on the left side of the screen, #21 for Chicago obviously grabs the Packers jersey (the wideout) as they are both running downfield.

Nice catch. It does appear he had a handful of jersey, and the Packer is leaning back toward him as a result.... Is that the hold that was called?

It was a brilliant play. A shame it was called back for apparently no reason.

It wasn't called back for no reason. Watch Fez's replay, it looks like there's a hold on the near side, right around the 20 and back to the 15.