R.E.M. breaks up....everbody hurts....

Buftex

REM was still together??

Next thing you know, the Smiths and The Cure are going to break up!

Yeah, I lost interest in them probably about 25 years ago...but they still have a pretty loyal following...their last ablum got great reviews...

btw, old fogey...th Cure are still around... ;)

Yeah, I lost interest in them probably about 25 years ago...but they still have a pretty loyal following...their last ablum got great reviews...

btw, old fogey...th Cure are still around... ;)

That's about how far back you have to go for me to know which bands were cool. Nice to know some of them are still (kinda) kicking. :lol:

I really dug the first 4 or 5 REM albums, and then, they just kind of became irrelevant to me...that doesn't mean to say they weren't any good...for me, the most important thing they did, was open up my eyes to some older stuff that I was only vaugely familiar with, like Velvet Underground...I remember seeing them with Dream Syndicate opening, at some club in Buffalo, very early on...Stipe came on in his skirt...they were good, but Dream Syndicate really blew me away. Also remember seeing Peter Buck play with the Replacements (my last favorite rock 'n' roll band of all time), which gave REM more credence with me.

My sister is a big fan, and buys every album...she really liked the last one a lot, and, working part time in a record shop, I have heard from quite a few people that they were putting out good records in their later years...

Edited by Buftex

Peter Buck just played on the Decemberists New CD "The King is Dead"...you can really hear the REM influence in a couple of the songs.

I really dug the first 4 or 5 REM albums, and then, they just kind of became irrelevant to me...that doesn't mean to say they weren't any good...for me, the most important thing they did, was open up my eyes to some older stuff that I was only vaugely familiar with, like Velvet Underground...I remember seeing them with Dream Syndicate opening, at some club in Buffalo, very early on...Stipe came on in his skirt...they were good, but Dream Syndicate really blew me away. Also remember seeing Peter Buck play with the Replacements (my last favorite rock 'n' roll band of all time), which gave REM more credence with me.

My sister is a big fan, and buys every album...she really liked the last one a lot, and, working part time in a record shop, I have heard from quite a few people that they were putting out good records in their later years...

And how do you feel?

I just did a search and found this article with one person's summary/rank of all REM's album. I forgot how many really good records they put out back in the day. link

Thanks for that link - makes me want to go back and listen to some of those old great records I haven't listened to for years.

I remember my brother coming home from college on break when I was in HS, with some new records he had been turned onto - and listening to Murmer and being blown away. Like many I lost interest when their music went kind of sideways, but those early albums really are a big part of the soundtrack of a lot of formative years in my life.

Years ago I "met" Mike Mills at the Jimmy V charity golf torn in Raleigh. We had some small talk, and I resisted the urge to gush about his band's greatness and their influence on me, and also resisted asking him what definitevely were the words to the chorus of Sitting Still, but I did end up giving him the wrong directions to the next tee... I saw him again the next year, and was able to apologize for sending him in an errant direction the year before :)

there is nothing subtle about stipes creepiness, he's overtly creepy....but his voice was so integral to the rem sound...after they finally decided to increase the volume of his vocals a couple albums in...

I never quite got "REM", never really liked their music. And the lead singer is a little too creepy in a subtle kind of way....

I would've left after Dream Syndicate myself.:D.

10 years too late? maybe 12.

jw

JW- have listened to the new Tommy Stinson record? Not bad...picked it up a week or so ago, been so busy, only had a chance to half listen to it...like what I heard...not as good as the first Slim Dunlap record, but not bad. Anything that's rock 'n' roll is fine...

JW- have listened to the new Tommy Stinson record? Not bad...picked it up a week or so ago, been so busy, only had a chance to half listen to it...like what I heard...not as good as the first Slim Dunlap record, but not bad. Anything that's rock 'n' roll is fine...

been a little anxious (true meaning of the word) and quite busy to pick it up. hoping to get it next week. but you're preaching to the choir in regards to Slim (good god, his solo album rocked, as did Tommy's first album with "Bash and Pop.")

and i do prefer rock and roll as opposed to the baloney REM and U2 have put out for far too long. they really should be ashamed.

jw