Accused death row inmate Troy Davis is denied clemency

In-A-Gadda-Levitre

Parole board denies clemency for Troy Davis

Larry Cox, executive director of Amnesty International AIUSA (AIUSA), said it was "unconscionable" that the board denied Davis relief. "Allowing a man to be sent to death under an enormous cloud of doubt about his guilt is an outrageous affront to justice," he said.

William S. Sessions, former Director of the FBI said:

What quickly will become apparent is that serious questions about Davis’ guilt, highlighted by witness recantations, allegations of police coercion and a lack of relevant physical evidence, continue to plague his conviction. Last summer, an extraordinary hearing ordered by the U.S. Supreme Court to answer these questions instead left us with more doubt.

Despite the fact that 7 of the 9 eyewitnesses have recanted or significantly changed their testimony, in some cases stating publicly that the police coerced them into identifying Troy Davis as the killer, and no physical or DNA evidence linking him to the killing, Georgia's State Board of Pardons and Paroles has denied clemency. Davis is scheduled to be executed tomorrow.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The justices (Supreme Court) transferred the case to a U.S. District Court in Georgia for a hearing and determination of his claims that new witnesses will clearly establish his innocence. A year later, the judge, William Moore, rejected Davis' claims of innocence."

From the article I read. Guess the judge felt he was guilty. He did it, and now the time has come to pay the piper.

Amnesty International found the decision "unconscionable"? There's a shock.

Maybe if they didn't try the same routine with every guilty subhuman on death row their words might have more credibility.

p.s. wouldn't a more accurate thread title be "Convicted death row inmate......"??

Edited by KD in CT

I don’t know the details of the case, but when you have 7 of 9 eyewitnesses recanting and so many people “including former President Jimmy Carter, Pope Benedict XVI, former FBI Director William Sessions, former Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice Norman Fletcher and Larry Thompson, the former deputy U.S. attorney general” calling for a stay, I think it makes the state of Georgia look pretty backwards.

Amnesty International found the decision "unconscionable"? There's a shock.

Maybe if they didn't try the same routine with every guilty subhuman on death row their words might have more credibility.

p.s. wouldn't a more accurate thread title be "Convicted death row inmate......"??

ya, I get your Boy Who Cried Wolf metaphor and its justified I guess. Too bad this time it looks like he didn't do it.

how about Perhaps wrongly convicted

ya, I get your Boy Who Cried Wolf metaphor and its justified I guess. Too bad this time it looks like he didn't do it.

how about Perhaps wrongly convicted

How do you arrive at that conclusion? Because Jimmy Carter and the Pope don't like the death penalty? Because after having a camera stuck in their face for the hundredth time, a couple jurors caved to the pressure 20 years later (as if they can remember important case details now anyway)? I'll give the anti-DP crowd credit for being creative in their tactics (OMG, no DNA evidence!!! Never mind that bullets don't generally carry the shooter's DNA), but that doesn't mean I'm willing to ignore a conviction and subsequent appellate confirmations.

I mean, there isn't any question that the guy was there, right? It's just that after he's convicted suddenly they claim one of the other dudes was the trigger man??

How do you arrive at that conclusion? Because Jimmy Carter and the Pope don't like the death penalty? Because after having a camera stuck in their face for the hundredth time, a couple jurors caved to the pressure 20 years later (as if they can remember important case details now anyway)? I'll give the anti-DP crowd credit for being creative in their tactics (OMG, no DNA evidence!!! Never mind that bullets don't generally carry the shooter's DNA), but that doesn't mean I'm willing to ignore a conviction and subsequent appellate confirmations.

I mean, there isn't any question that the guy was there, right? It's just that after he's convicted suddenly they claim one of the other dudes was the trigger man??

Shows like CSI have turned jurors into even bigger idiots than they already were, especially in regards to DNA evidence.

Because of people like Bob Barr. He's a former federal prosecutor and congressman from GA, who has publicly stated his support for the DP, and one of the original authors of the Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996, which he claims was misinterpreted by the lower courts who refused to hear Davis' petition for a writ of habeas corpus. Nor has the court heard witnesses whose testimonies have changed, only their written affidavits.

and it's not "no DNA", it's No Physical Evidence, zero, zip.

Theyll probably let this guy walk free and give him millions of dollars. Meanwhile a cop killer gets only 3 years.

http://www.abc26.com/news/local/wgno-sucker-punch-cop-killer-pleads-guilty-20110920,0,2077625.story

In a case like this (Troy Davis), most of us know how you feel Dave. The evidence matters little as far as you are concerned.

Edit - Oh and he is dead now. So that should make some happy.

Edited by Booster4324

7 out of 9 is bulls***t! The prosecution put 34 witnesses on the stand and out of the seven, several were friends of the shooter. One said he didn't see Davis shoot anybody and he was 5 feet away. The SCOTUS voted 9-0 to refuse his appeal. GOOD, he's room temp now.

I don’t know the details of the case, but when you have 7 of 9 eyewitnesses recanting and so many people “including former President Jimmy Carter, Pope Benedict XVI, former FBI Director William Sessions, former Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice Norman Fletcher and Larry Thompson, the former deputy U.S. attorney general” calling for a stay, I think it makes the state of Georgia look pretty backwards.

Without 'know(ing) the details of the case' the only item on that list that 'makes the state of Georgia look pretty backwards' is that former President Jimmy Carter was former Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter prior to becoming former President Jimmy Carter.

While I find her to be a self-serving bomb-thrower, Ann Coulter outlined some of the specifics about this.

Here's a ridiculous quote from Ann Coulter:

Fifty-nine percent of Americans now believe that an innocent man has been executed in the last five years. There is more credible evidence that space aliens have walked among us than that an innocent person has been executed in this country in the past 60 years, much less the past five years.

Considering the number of people who have had convictions overturned by DNA evidence as the science has improved, only a complete crackpot would think that no innocent people have been executed in the past 60 years.

Here's a ridiculous quote from Ann Coulter:

Fifty-nine percent of Americans now believe that an innocent man has been executed in the last five years. There is more credible evidence that space aliens have walked among us than that an innocent person has been executed in this country in the past 60 years, much less the past five years.

Considering the number of people who have had convictions overturned by DNA evidence as the science has improved, only a complete crackpot would think that no innocent people have been executed in the past 60 years.

She probably limited it to 5 years because Cameron Todd Willingham was executed in 2004.

While I find her to be a self-serving bomb-thrower, Ann Coulter outlined some of the specifics about this.

Thanks for posting this. I’m not a fan of Ann Coulter’s politics, but it’s nice to get this point of view, which includes actual info from the case and from the various appeals. Even though she can't keep her own agendas out of it, she does add some relevant details to the discussion. I have to agree that the mainstream articles I’ve seen about this have been woefully short on facts and long on axe-grinding.

I don’t personally support the death penalty, but that’s not really the immediate issue. It’s whether the guy is innocent or guilty of murder. It’s good to see some intelligent discussion of that issue, which was sorely missing in the other articles.