Raining on the Parade

Pass the Pipe

Like many of you I am satisfied with this team’s direction and growth over the last 18 games under the Gailey/Nix regime, but I wouldn’t characterize my state as euphoric, intoxicated, or oblivious like too many of you including Sullivan. A cold dose of reality will sweep over the emotional fan base with the arrival of Brady and company on Sunday; my estimate is around 2:15 PM EST, almost like the Aztecan calendar. Still too many holes and too little time removed from the Marv Levy/Tom Modrak administration. Concerns that I have:

• A woeful pass rush; was Modrak very influential in last year’s draft class as limited gems have materialized from that pool of selections as well, especially Troupe and Carrington;

• Staying with the pass rush, I believe it is confirmed, Merriman certainly has lost multiple steps, not just the proverbial “step!” I like the emotion, brute strength, and determination, but his explosiveness is clearly lacking, just maybe it can be blamed on game conditioning, which truly has no similarities with a martial arts studio/training regime.

• Even I was fooled with the depth of this secondary as there is none. Frankly, I would bench McKelvin and start Aaron Williams, it can’t be any worse. Also, for the life of me, I can’t understand how management didn’t make a play for Brandon Meriweather, he certainly has experience with both the Patriots and Jets and would the drop off from George Wilson really be that far?

• The Andre Davis signing is, well, just that a signing; Sheppard has made enough plays on special teams to deserve a chance to displace this free agent bust. I love the kid’s intensity;

• We don’t have enough speed at the wide out position; we really need some explosiveness at that position, including the tight end, and no I am not lamenting on the Lee Evans trade, which I totally supported and was unquestionably the correct move; lastly

• For everything great about Fitzpatrick, he is still inaccurate and his arm lacks zip. Let’s face it, competent secondary play by the Raiders yesterday would have resulted in two or three picks and fans headed to the exits early in the forth.

I am hoping for Titans/Ravens type shocker on Sunday, but I just don’t see it. Hopefully it is tight and not the classic NE vs. Bills blowout that we have all become accustom to.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Like many of you I am satisfied with this team’s direction and growth over the last 18 games under the Gailey/Nix regime, but I wouldn’t characterize my state as euphoric, intoxicated, or oblivious like too many of you including Sullivan. A cold dose of reality will sweep over the emotional fan base with the arrival of Brady and company on Sunday; my estimate is around 2:15 PM EST, almost like the Aztecan calendar. Still too many holes and too little time removed from the Marv Levy/Tom Modrak administration. Concerns that I have:

• A woeful pass rush; was Modrak very influential in last year’s draft class as limited gems have materialized from that pool of selections as well, especially Troupe and Carrington;

• Staying with the pass rush, I believe it is confirmed, Merriman certainly has lost multiple steps, not just the proverbial “step!” I like the emotion, brute strength, and determination, but his explosiveness is clearly lacking, just maybe it can be blamed on game conditioning, which truly has no similarities with a martial arts studio/training regime.

• Even I was fooled with the depth of this secondary as there is none. Frankly, I would bench McKelvin and start Aaron Williams, it can’t be any worse. Also, for the life of me, I can’t understand how management didn’t make a play for Brandon Meriweather, he certainly has experience with both the Patriots and Jets and would the drop off from George Wilson really be that far?

• The Andre Davis signing is, well, just that a signing; Sheppard has made enough plays on special teams to deserve a chance to displace this free agent bust. I love the kid’s intensity;

• We don’t have enough speed at the wide out position; we really need some explosiveness at that position, including the tight end, and no I am not lamenting on the Lee Evans trade, which I totally supported and was unquestionably the correct move; lastly

• For everything great about Fitzpatrick, he is still inaccurate and his arm lacks zip. Let’s face it, competent secondary play by the Raiders yesterday would have resulted in two or three picks and fans headed to the exits early in the forth.

I am hoping for Titans/Ravens type shocker on Sunday, but I just don’t see it. Hopefully it is tight and not the classic NE vs. Bills blowout that we have all become accustom to.

1. I read the rest of this with that sentence in mind and since you made that statement I have no idea what the hell you are talking about the rest of your post. But that is okay because I don't think you have any idea either.

little known fact...the Aztec calendar comes to an end December 24 2011, a whole year before the Mayan calendar. DOOM!!!

:worthy:

1. I read the rest of this with that sentence in mind and since you made that statement I have no idea what the hell you are talking about the rest of your post. But that is okay because I don't think you have any idea either.

What Bowery said.

As best I can figure out, the OP believes:

1) if the Patriots beat us, as they have beaten and will likely beat many strong contending teams, it should cause us to overlook the progress that has been made

2) Carrington (DE) and Troup (NT) were drafted to be pass rushers. Dareus too - where are the Sacks? They're bums.

3) Enthusiasm and intensity should drive decisions about the starting lineup. Knowing the playbook and developing technique and football savvy (takes rookies several years even in good systems like Stillers) are small stuff and can be wisely overlooked.

4) Merriman should forget his actual assignments in a "stop the run" defense. If he isn't rushing the passer on every down, doesn't matter how many OL are holding onto his jersey and freeing up other Bills, it proves he's washed up.

5) Fitz should be benched in favor of a strong- armed quarterback like JP Losman.

Please pass the Kool-aid, it's better than what this guys drinking.

Can anyone here just enjoy the fact that we are 2-0 and have played some exciting football? Life is too short people. It's football and right now it's fun. Just read Sullivan today. It's almost like some can't wait for the Bills to lose so you can say I told you so.

Edited by nucci

In honor of your brave and determined effort to be a party pooping D-Bag.

Go Bills!

Like many of you I am satisfied with this team’s direction and growth over the last 18 games under the Gailey/Nix regime, but I wouldn’t characterize my state as euphoric, intoxicated, or oblivious like too many of you including Sullivan. A cold dose of reality will sweep over the emotional fan base with the arrival of Brady and company on Sunday; my estimate is around 2:15 PM EST, almost like the Aztecan calendar. Still too many holes and too little time removed from the Marv Levy/Tom Modrak administration. Concerns that I have:

Can anyone here just enjoy the fact that we are 2-0 and have played some exciting football? Life is too short people. It's football and right now it's fun. Just read Sullivan today. It's almost like some can't wait for the Bills to lose so you can say I told you so.

Exactly. News flash: if we lose to the Patriots, it means....we lost to the Patriots. It doesn't mean we're a bad team and will go winless the rest of the season, unless we let it.

It's remarkable when teams go 16-0 for a reason. It's very very hard to do, even good teams get "blown out of the water" several times a season by a team that has "solved" them.

The bills almost always play a close game with the Pats the first time they meet. Not sure why I keep reading every game is a blowout. They are not by a longshot. At least twice, the Bills should have beaten them recently. The Losman and Moulds game where he caught a deep TD pass to give us the lead

late but we lost 19-17, the McKelvin fumble game where we literally handed them the game, and even last years game was close where we lost 38-30 and Fitz threw a high interception near the goalline missing a wide open Parrish on a crossing route that would have been a TD...

This whole the "Bills always get blown out" crap is getting really old because they simply don't...at least not usually in the first game...the second meeting usually is the blowout and I would measure us more by what happens in that game than this one...

In fact, only ONCE since 2003 have the Bills been "blown out" against the Patriots in their first meeting, a 38-7 loss at Foxboro in Jauron's second year. However, the second meeting was an even worse 56-10 loss in Buffalo, so they still lost worst the second game...

The other losses?

38-30(Fitz overthrows wide open Parrish near goalline for Int instead of TD)

25-24 (McKelvin---WHAT??)

20-10

19-17 (Moulds scores to take lead, but Bills can't hold on)

21-16

31-17(game was tied going into the 4th, and NE sealed it on a Seymour fumble return for TD---the old Bledsoe fake sneak fumble game)

Let's stop making up fantasies that the Bills "Always" get blown out by the Pats, because other than once in their first season meeting, they lose on average, by less than a TD(6.67 points). Hardly the "blowout" that every seems to think "always" happens...

Edited by matter2003

BLASPHEMY!!Plagarism, too! Dude...try posting something original, or at least properly cite your material! Deuuuuusche!

Umm, 2 years ago you posted emphatically that you were done with this team and organization.

Thanks for coming back when the team is doing well (as we all said you would) and taking the time to try to bring everyone else down to your level of misery.

Feel free to return to your solitude any time now.

Not raining on my parade, or anyone's for that matter(other than the 19-0 guys who are surely joking). I would say we all want the bills to win this weekend, with the exception of those who will look at a loss this weekend as a way to prove their theories about how bad the Bills suck. I would also say that most of us know it is not too likely.

It's cool, we are getting better, unclinch your rear end and enjoy.

The Buffalo Bills season is on the line this Sunday against the Patriots.

If the Bills lose, the playoffs experienced Patriots and Jets will be battling it out for 1st and 2nd in the AFC East for the rest of the season.

If the Bills lose on Sunday then there's no playoffs.

If the Bills win on Sunday then the sky is the limit.

The Buffalo Bills season is on the line this Sunday against the Patriots.

If the Bills lose, the playoffs experienced Patriots and Jets will be battling it out for 1st and 2nd in the AFC East for the rest of the season.

If the Bills lose on Sunday then there's no playoffs.

If the Bills win on Sunday then the sky is the limit.

I don't think many people are actually expecting a playoff run this year. It'd be great, sure... but a great many of us simply want to see progress, with the more realistic goal being playoffs next year after another "good" draft and maybe a couple more free agency signings.

I agree with most of what you said in your post, but be ready to be molested and ridiculed by the majority of people on this board who aren't in a fantasy world on just sundays on ESPN.com. I love the way Fitz plays, his effort, heart and he normally makes the correct decisions, but you are somewhat correct in the fact that with a little better play by the Raiders' DBs, Fitz throws 3-5 interceptions, that were terrible passes. He does have to rely on excellent placing of the ball, because he doesn't have the strongest arm in the NFL by any stretch. The secondary was borderline pathetic sunday, confirming the thought of many that the they looked good last year, mainly because the run defense was so bad, teams didn't need to throw much. Merriman? I was against that signing when they made it, he has been invisible to this point. I really expect his field time to start decreasing now that Moats is supposedly healthy. Merriman lost his burst a few years ago and is getting manhandled by O-Lineman. I too would be all for playing Aaron Williams more, McFumble has been probably the biggest weakness on the defense so far this year. We don't have much speed at the WR position, we have alot of young players with tons of potential, but having that one burner to spread the defense a little sure would help. That said, I am pumpled with the start of this season, and at the same time a little apprehensive to let myself get too amped, as we have seen seasons start like this only to go down the drain eventually. Let's hope this season continues on a high and doesn't do a 90 degree turn downwards. Can they win this weekend? Not likely, but it is possible, but only if they play a complete game for 60 minutes. A first half like last weekend, and it is over against the Pats. Their defense isn't great at all, but the Raiders kept us in the game with stupid penalties in the second half, the Pats won't do that. Mostly though, you won't shut that offense out for the majority of the second half in order to catch up. Fingers crossed, beating the Pats would be like a mini Super Bowl, and reminisent of the euphoria of running on the field at Rich Stadium years ago when they finally ended the 20 game losing streak against the Dolphins.

That is what it exactly. How many of these posts do we have to endure, trust me I think we get the fact this board has some miserable, unsatisfiable posters. Sorry this season started out with the Bills winning and looking competitive, I know that really cuts down on things to whine about.

I think we have a shot at NE this Sunday. Will I slit my wrists if we lose....no,as long as we make it a competitive game. I think most people here are happy for a 2-0 team playing some decent football. Nobody is claiming SUPERBOWL.

Well a little known fact that can be disputed.

Buffalo has played New England tough on the first game between the two every year. In fact Buffalo should have beaten them several times and lost last year 38-30. When Buffalo got beat the second time, Buffalo had more passing yards simply because the pats ran all over us, and we had 3ints and a few fumbles.

This year the pats have a questinable defense and Brady is just throwing all over the place.

Fact: Fred Jackson has a better yards per carry over NE than any other team. Call it end of the year garbage but also look at how they play.

I say an upset is in the making big time. Fitz is doing much better on short reads and will pick apart NE on short plays, and NE will throw all day on us and most likely have another 300 yard game. The difference is ball control and turnovers. Say what you want but the fact that Buffalo hangs tough can be the difference. Last year they tried to do what they could. This year they BILLIEVE they can.

Call Lights out old and a no show, but dont plan for him and he will bite. He still draws attention and is still a huge upgrade at the position. So he doesn't have a sack, he still is in position and draws attention. That's better than what we had.

Buffalo will hold NE to under 100 yards rushing, but will Wanny risk a nickel defense with Blitzes(no disrespect to George)? I can see us getting to Brady and hitting him. I also see Brady having an off day with people in his face. I expect the Bills to force the pats to run on us with screens and draw plays. The first half may be a huge stat breaker for the Bills as they go after Brady nonstop, and force them to run all day. Whats that do? It slows them down and forces ball control which we can do better. Look at the stats from the past. Buffalo will control the clock and Brady will be nervous to sit in the pocket. So before you throw out little facts look at the stats because they dont lie.

Buffalo in a huge upset 31-28. Brady is seen crying and yelling like a BIEACH because he's on his back with no time to throw, but still puts up 300 yards, with an int.

I love all of the Marv Levy hate. He is responsible for us having the league's leading rusher this year......and he is one of our few HOF'ers so have some respect.

I totally agree. He as done as much for this organization as anyone in it's history, yet people rag on him all the time on here. He was brought here as GM because Ralphy asked for a favor, and he didn't do as bad as people claim. If not for Marv Levy, you are correct, Fred Jackson is probably still playing Arena Football. Kinda like slamming your mother if she makes one meal that doesn't taste good. I don't think Levy had much say around the organization when he was here, he was a figure head to keep the fans interested during the continued losing ways of this franchise. Even if he did control anything, and he didn't, I am not sure he had a draft as bad as this regimes first draft in 2010. People make a big deal because all the 2007 class is gone, because this regime traded away the best players in it or let them go via free agency. The 2010 class consists of one player that has even shown glimpses, but not to the level of the #9 pick in the draft. Wang, Brown and Calloway are long gone. Easley has never seen the field. Troup has been borderline useless. Moats, Carrington and Batten has shown a little potential, mainly in preseason and practice, but haven't really accomplished anything yet, other then Moats being the answer to a trivia question. That is like blaming the Queen of England for problems over there, she has no real authority either.