Statement Game

26TrapDraw

Ok I know most of you have thought this. This game is a huge statement game. We all know Oakland has a potent rushing attack. Stats don't lie. If this team wants to take the next step, this is the game. Our Defense has to make a statement because believe it or not the national media has on eye on what the Bills do this weekend. They gave us some love and have said maybe we are starting to become relevant again. If we don't shut down Oakland and win this game, the "same old Bills" comments and talk will come back again. Now is the time right now....Let's see what this squad is made of. I will learn alot after Sunday. In my heart of hearts I think they can make a statement on Sunday...now more than ever I wanna see what kind of heart we have.

Ok I know most of you have thought this. This game is a huge statement game. We all know Oakland has a potent rushing attack. Stats don't lie. If this team wants to take the next step, this is the game. Our Defense has to make a statement because believe it or not the national media has on eye on what the Bills do this weekend. They gave us some love and have said maybe we are starting to become relevant again. If we don't shut down Oakland and win this game, the "same old Bills" comments and talk will come back again. Now is the time right now....Let's see what this squad is made of. I will learn alot after Sunday. In my heart of hearts I think they can make a statement on Sunday...now more than ever I wanna see what kind of heart we have.

You know, I really don't care too much if the Bills make a "Statement" so the national media gives 'em some love.

I"ll spare the Family Values my piquant opinion of the national media

I care if we win.

If that means we give up 200 yds on the ground to McFadden, but stop Oak at critical times (3rd down) I'll take it.

If we only scrape out 3.4 yds per carry against that tough Oakland line that is just so much better athletes across the board, but it moves the chains and we stay on the field...I'll take it

Just so the score at the end of the game shows more points next to "Bills"

In case anyone here has forgotten, Bill Parcells taught us we can rush for >150 yds, pass for >200 yds....and lose the game.

Stats do not lie but peoplr do.

The only stat that matters is whether the Bills are 2-0 or 1-1 at around 4;30 EST on Sunday. One quick way to become 1-1 is if the players worry much at all about the team's and particularly their individual stats.

This team will have a far better chance of winning if they do not think much or at all about making a statement to the goofballs at ESPN pr evem the local blatherings of the alleged journalists at WGR or Sully.

Us fans are entitled to worry about whatever we want, but I hope like heck Gailey suceeds in getting this team to pretty much focus on executing on the mext play amd not think about silly stuff like making a statement to stud athletes like John Claytonor even the more logical distractions like the opportunity they will have if a 2-0 tean faces NE at home.

In fact, if the players think much beyond the stat of getting a W anyway anyhow against Osk whether they generate great stats or not this team will ve 1-1 when they face NE.

The only stat that matters is whether the Bills are 2-0 or 1-1 at around 4;30 EST on Sunday. One quick way to become 1-1 is if the players worry much at all about the team's and particularly their individual stats.

This team will have a far better chance of winning if they do not think much or at all about making a statement to the goofballs at ESPN pr evem the local blatherings of the alleged journalists at WGR or Sully.

Us fans are entitled to worry about whatever we want, but I hope like heck Gailey suceeds in getting this team to pretty much focus on executing on the mext play amd not think about silly stuff like making a statement to stud athletes like John Claytonor even the more logical distractions like the opportunity they will have if a 2-0 tean faces NE at home.

In fact, if the players think much beyond the stat of getting a W anyway anyhow against Osk whether they generate great stats or not this team will ve 1-1 when they face NE.

The point I was trying to hammer home I guess is I don't really care much about the media either. I just wanna see what kind of heart beats in this years squad....guess we will see sunday

I agree with the OP, not because of how the media will or won't react, but because the Bills have a chance here to establish to THEMSELVES that they can play and win the tough games they need to win. If the culture is going to truly change for this team, they need to win in situations like this. A tough opponent, especially one that seems strongest where the Bills have been weakest.

The Bills' defense needs to stop the run, and the Bills' o-line needs to open holes and protect Fitzpatrick. There's a lot more that goes into a win of course, but it's very interesting to me that the team will be tested in exactly those areas were they have been legitimately questioned.

If they win, they take a huge step forward, IMHO.

I just tried to find the funny qoute the old Jets coach(i think) had about stats. Something about them being like woman? Anyone remember it?

a couple of big things:

1.) it's even more vital with Troup out that the 3-4 be successful in stopping the run this game. We can't keep KW/Dareus on the field all game in a 4 down lineman set and Heard isn't ready for the big time.

2.) Open the game up the same as last time - spread wide, get their big lineman and LBs in coverage situations and let fitz make quick, short throws. then start running FJ And CJ on draw plays

3.) Gailey has to beat it in their heads that last week is old hat. This team is a 4-12 team, not an undefeated team. People only care about what they do this week.

4.) I actually think a heavy dose of FJ and CJ will do wonders this week. Oak has a big front 7, but they aren't particularly fast outside the box. Getting CJ out on screens and off tackle would be a start.

and finally - the crowd. Has to be jacked up, on its game, the entire 4 quarters. I think the 1 less hour of tailgating will give us more life - less guys passed out drunk in the nose bleeds!

Win this game, and the Bills sell more tickets into Nov/Dec, gain more media attention, and set up the biggest game the Ralph's seen in years. Not to mention, give a 92yo man a reason to smile while in recovery. I don't care who you are or what oyu think of RW - we should all be praying and wishing the old guy well. It's never, ever fun to see a man that age break a bone and endure rehab. Get well old friend and GO BILLS!

Edited by rpcolosi

Hplrrm's typical thread stealin' mantra aside, I'm with the OP all the way on this one. Of course, we'd like to be relevant again in the Sport's World. No one here is a casual, unattached observer to Sports. We willing fork over many hundreds of dollars yearly for cable/dish TV because free airwaves don't feed our interest. Many listen to radio sports every day. For as much as we've suffered following the Bills this century, it's worse knowing the ONLY thing we do hear from national media is deservingly negative. Add in, we got progressively worse transitioning from Greggo through Mularky to Jauron and we're about as low as it gets. Doom shields firmly in place, we accepted cast aways Nix & Gailey while taking further abuse for no one else wanting the roles. Even @ 5-1 a couple years back, there was a gray cloud nearby as Trent couldn't reach Lee deep, but he wasn't Losman.. It really sucked to see them nose-dive soon after, but no one was shocked.

This is different.

We're a pretty well versed judge of NFL talent and we all agree we have more assembled now than any time this decade. We KNOW Gailey can coach offense and the commiment to a new, stronger and more talented defense is obvious. I'm positive the players want this as bad as we do -to put an end to losing and for our collective psyche that we CAN re-ascend to worthy attention -in the League and in the country. While Oakland endeared a bad stretch, hi-lited by a commitment to Russell, they've been mostly competitive regardless of final scores -we barley nipped 'em in that 4 game streak. They were the 1st ever team to sweep their Division and not make the playoffs a year ago. They intend to take the next step in this game, schedule planners be damned! This shapes up as the monster test it's being touted about, nationally.

This IS different.

Go Bills!

I think this game will tell us if we are a winning team or a losing team this year. I assume we'll still lose to the elite teams, but we should be able to beat the middle range teams if we are a winning team this year.

Teams go 10-6 all the time not beating most of their top opponents (see Chiefs 2010). If you're consistently beating the top teams you're 13-3 and fighting for the #1 seed.

At the high end for the Bills this year should be beating the mediocre teams consistently and the elite teams occasionally. Oakland would be a nice start on the mediocre teams part, as was KC.

Edited by BobChalmers

I think that winning AND stopping the run and having a sound defensive performance is absolutely key and here's why: we can sit back and realize that maybe our team is actually good by improving things like our run defense. It means that after that game we can have confidence in our abilities to beat any team because we can stand up and take away their strengths. Granted, on the field, in the heads of the players, football is a different game. Just winning is enough to boost the players' confidence, no matter how it happens.

You know, I really don't care too much if the Bills make a "Statement" so the national media gives 'em some love.

I"ll spare the Family Values my piquant opinion of the national media

I care if we win.

If that means we give up 200 yds on the ground to McFadden, but stop Oak at critical times (3rd down) I'll take it.

If we only scrape out 3.4 yds per carry against that tough Oakland line that is just so much better athletes across the board, but it moves the chains and we stay on the field...I'll take it

Just so the score at the end of the game shows more points next to "Bills"

In case anyone here has forgotten, Bill Parcells taught us we can rush for >150 yds, pass for >200 yds....and lose the game.

You guys are basically agreeing with him in whats coming off in a sort of negative way. We need a W. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. If we beat what appears to be a tough team in the Oakland Raiders, the positive talk about the Bills(and I know some of u guys don't care about the medias perception, but I certainly enjoy the positive talk myself) continues as does our ascension to relevance. Isn't that what most of us desire right now, respect?

If we don't win this game or at least look really good losing, it will be back to the same old not fun losing Bills talk.

Sounds like we can make a statement in this game to me. Good post OP.

Edited by EastRochBillsfan

You guys are basically agreeing with him in whats coming off in a sort of negative way. We need a W. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. If we beat what appears to be a tough team in the Oakland Raiders, the positive talk about the Bills(and I know some of u guys don't care about the medias perception, but I certainly enjoy the positive talk myself) continues as does our ascension to relevance. Isn't that what most of us desire right now, respect?

If we don't win this game or at least look really good losing, it will be back to the same old not fun losing Bills talk.

Sounds like we can make a statement in this game to me. Good post OP.

I agree with your post except for the highlighted phrase. "Look good losing" does nothing for this team. They've had lots of "look good losing" games in the last decade (and of course many more "look terrible losing"). They had four or five "look good losing" games last season, and another one of those puts them back in the mire of hoping to win, maybe, someday.

They need to win this game, and it would help if it were not a matter of Oakland playing terribly or some fluke play.

I agree with the OP, not because of how the media will or won't react, but because the Bills have a chance here to establish to THEMSELVES that they can play and win the tough games they need to win. If the culture is going to truly change for this team, they need to win in situations like this. A tough opponent, especially one that seems strongest where the Bills have been weakest.

Good points Dr K

I agree with your post except for the highlighted phrase. "Look good losing" does nothing for this team. They've had lots of "look good losing" games in the last decade (and of course many more "look terrible losing"). They had four or five "look good losing" games last season, and another one of those puts them back in the mire of hoping to win, maybe, someday.

They need to win this game, and it would help if it were not a matter of Oakland playing terribly or some fluke play.

I definitely see what youu are saying and I even kinda contradict myself in my post by saying they need the w no ifs ands or buts and then saying "look really good losing". But I suppose I can still see us retaining the respect we have earned thus far if this is a well fought game against a tough opponent and it comes down to the wire. But u and the op are absolutely right, to make a statement we have to WIN the game.

Then on to the REAL statement game!

I can't see this being a statement game. Regardless of the product they will place on the field on Sunday, the Raiders have been one of the most dysfunctional franchises over the last 7 years (along with the Bills). Lets wait a few years before we crown the Raiders as a "team to beat". Now, next week will definitely be a statement game.

I believe you all have some good thoughts on this. We all know the media will have a field day if we lose because the Raiders racked up a ton of running yards. Who cares?!

This team proved last year, week in and week out that last week's game was last week; forget it and move on. Chan has doen a good job of instilling in these players that you have to take it one game at a time. Relish for a day that win, but there's work to be done. He isn't going to let them sit back on their laurals and think they can sleep walk into next Sunday. I have listened to Fitz's pressers and he too knows it's only one game and not to get too excited. I think he and Chan have imposed this mentality on the team.

This is going to be a tough game fought in the trenches and the score will be close. I feel the key here is for the defense to not over pursue, stay in your lanes, and most of all seal off the edges, just like last week. Campbell isn't a threat but I think they'll definetly use the run to set up the pass, with some down field shots. But the secondary is up to the task. They'll see how KC used some misdirection to keep the play away from Merriman. The Raiders will probably try this too, but again they're the type that's going to run it straight up the gut. I'm not sure how much blitzing we'll see either if the Raiders committ to the run with little passing. The defense is much different that it was the last time these two met in 2008.

As for the offense; Fitz and the WRs need to get into a rythmn early and stay consistent. Use a lot of screens and crossing routes early to take advantage of the mismatches. The rushing yards will be tough to get. I would use the no huddle often to wear down the Raiders defense; don't let them substitute. I'm not sure about the wildcat this game with Oakland's front 7 and I don't think I'd use Smith to throw either. Chandler is going to have to be the unsung hero as well. Use his speed and size to get open and get the ball to him.

We're at home, seasoner opener, the 12th man is alive and well, and the Raiders are coming off a short week with some notable injuries. My gut feeling is the score will come down to a field goal. I predict the Bills win. Final score will be Bills, 23-20.